Thread: Solar Eclipse

Solar Eclipse

I'm curious if anyone is planning on catching the solar eclipse on Monday?

We'll be picking the kids up from school and driving up the middle of Nevada across the alien highway, staying Friday night in Twin Falls, then driving to Boise on Saturday morning to stay with friends. We're kind of winging the rest of the weekend. We've been looking at settling on Weiser, Idaho. Birth place of Hans Olsen. Several ways in with decent roads. I've been emailing people in town offering reserved parking spots and had the following interaction:

"Do you still have availability for reserving a parking spot for the eclipse?"

"Yes for what day?"

"I believe the eclipse is on Monday."

"Yes it is. Is that the day you want?"

Apparently spending $30 to park in someone's field is a common enough occurrence that such details can't be taken for granted.

Anyway, should be an adventure. Saw a video clip from yesterday with traffic already backed up miles trying to get into some small Central Oregon town.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

We'll be picking the kids up from school and driving up the middle of Nevada across the alien highway, staying Friday night in Twin Falls, then driving to Boise on Saturday morning to stay with friends. We're kind of winging the rest of the weekend. We've been looking at settling on Weiser, Idaho. Birth place of Hans Olsen. Several ways in with decent roads. I've been emailing people in town offering reserved parking spots and had the following interaction:

"Yes for what day?"

Apparently spending $30 to park in someone's field is a common enough occurrence that such details can't be taken for granted.

Anyway, should be an adventure. Saw a video clip from yesterday with traffic already backed up miles trying to get into some small Central Oregon town.
    Nope. I'm headed south for a work training. Will be driving when the eclipse happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I might walk outside the office to see a partial eclipse, ....but probably not :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Nope. I might walk outside the office to see a partial eclipse, ....but probably not :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Partials definitely aren't very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

"Yes for what day?"

If I had little kids, I might make the effort. I still remember an eclipse from when I was 6 in the 70's, so I think it will be an event they will remember for a long time. But since I don't have little kids, and I've seen one before, I'm not even going to the effort to track down eclipse approved sunglasses.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I think you'll have a great time Dwight, but I'm a little amused at the whole eclipse extravaganza. They closed my kids' school for it. Some people I've talked to are anticipating a life-changing event. I wonder if they lack some wonderment in their lives.

I think it's a neat thing, and I can ponder the celestial mechanics involved like everyone else, but isn't the actual event just a black dot in front of a yellow dot? I think it will be underwhelming like just about everything else in physics.

The city wildlife folks sent a warning that nature will be confused by this event. Ants will freeze in place, and owls will start hunting. I'm skeptical.

After Trump and Charlottesville, I figured it was the End Of Days and am retreating here instead: http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/
    Last edited by U-Ute; 08-17-2017 at 12:06 PM.

I have reserved a spot for 50 at BYU IDAHO. It is the first day of school for my kids so they can't come. My wife has zero interesting in driving for 8 hours minimum for less than 2 minutes of action. Other friends who thought it'd be fun have dropped out. So there are 4 of us going.

I intend to defend my space for 50 with my life. I need space while viewing cool things.

If any of you are interested in sitting in my space let me know. I'm starting bids at $1000 but may come down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    My wife has zero interesting in driving for 8 hours minimum for less than 2 minutes of action.
    I'm purposefully quoting this out of context as it has been a strange day for me.

Thanks for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I'm purposefully quoting this out of context as it has been a strange day for me.

Thanks for the laugh.
    If it helps, I was going to isolate that sentence myself.

Solar Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    If I had little kids....
    I rely on that rationale all the time. It's very useful.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-17-2017 at 07:39 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Thanks for the laugh.
    She normally doesn't have to drive for that.

My parents are driving up to my grandmother's home in St Anthony. I-15 between Pocatello and Idaho Falls is u set construction so traffic will be nuts. I told my wife she can go if she wants. 90% will be good enough for me.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

We will be at the beach in South Carolina. Should give the kids something else to do till it happens. Oh btw the link below is informative

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-...p-places-view/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

"This is one of those rare events where being close is not good enough," said J. Kelly Beatty, senior editor of Sky & Telescope. "A sun that's 99% covered is vastly different than the one that's 100% covered. Like I say to people, it's like being on a first date versus being on your wedding night."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/us/solar-eclipse-2017/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    "This is one of those rare events where being close is not good enough," said J. Kelly Beatty, senior editor of Sky & Telescope. "A sun that's 99% covered is vastly different than the one that's 100% covered. Like I say to people, it's like being on a first date versus being on your wedding night."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/us/solar-eclipse-2017/index.html
    Another two minute innuendo. Guess I better pack an extra pair of shorts.

Once again, earth is the longest-odds winning lottery ticket imaginable:

http://mashable.com/2017/08/18/only-...p#MKsoBSKoHiqb

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eclipse-songs/

This list is missing Total Eclipse of the Heart.

Also, there's "Darkness at the break of noon:"

I survived!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The mothership never arrived.

0/10 - Would not do again.

The mothership never arrived.

0/10 - Would not do again.
    I borrowed some glasses and saw it at 90%. Nice. Not life changing, but nice.

Coolest thing was to look at the shadows of a pine branch and see dozens of little eclipses. Second coolest thing was the weather getting cool for 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I borrowed some glasses and saw it at 90%. Nice. Not life changing, but nice.

Coolest thing was to look at the shadows of a pine branch and see dozens of little eclipses. Second coolest thing was the weather getting cool for 20 minutes.
    I was not excited at all about the eclipse, but picked up some glasses a the last minute to watch in my SLC backyard. The eclipse was much cooler than I expected, but I agree with Sancho that the coolest thing was the dozens of little shadow eclipses.

Went to the path of totality in Rexburg. I'll admit it was one of the coolest things I've seen. A black hole in the sky with the white corona of the sun set against a dark blue sky and the planets around it. 360 degrees around it looked like a beautiful sunset. The temperature dropped and you could hear people across the town cheer. There is simply no way to describe or capture it all.

Simply amazing.

The drive home was the absolute worst. Still worth it though.