Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The quarterback competition 2017

The quarterback competition 2017

Well, Huntley is the starter. I am a bit surprised. Quick thoughts from a fan who is admittedly not a football "mind," just an ardent Utah fan:

Taylor wants to pass a lot. This must mean he has more confidence in Huntley's accuracy than Williams'. Based on what I have read here, that is a surprise.

Does this mean that Willingham really has turned the offense over to Taylor? Or could it mean something else?

The constant refrain I hear about Huntley is that he is an amazing athlete. I don't recall the last time Utah had an amazing athlete at quarterback. We might be in for a lot of unexpected fun this season.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does this mean that Willingham really has turned the offense over to Taylor? Or could it mean something else?
    I don't think you conclude anything. Maybe Taylor made the call; maybe there was consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think you conclude anything. Maybe Taylor made the call; maybe there was consensus.
    I was just speculating. I think you are right. The Occam's Razor answer is that there was a consensus on a decision this important.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I was just speculating. I think you are right. The Occam's Razor answer is that there was a consensus on a decision this important.
    FWIW, i heard that they may have reached consensus, but Whitt wanted Williams. That is why it took so long. Staff is concerned that TW will become a turnover machine in the P12 games.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-21-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Whitt wants safe.

The reason why I'm not surprised at all?

Last year Williams had 20 TD's and 19 INT/fumbles.

Huntley can't be any worse than that.

Thoughts:

• Starting Huntley could be dangerous. If he struggles, do we put in Williams or ride out Huntley? If we put in Williams, Huntley may tank.
    • I wonder if Huntley put some pressure on the coaching staff by thinking of transferring. He wouldn't want to not play this year then compete against Tuttle next year with both of them on equal experience footing. He wants to get his experience now so he would be the de-facto starter next year.
    • Can Williams be a graduate transfer to OSU right now?

Isn't Williams a team captain?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    If he struggles, do we put in Williams or ride out Huntley? If we put in Williams, Huntley may tank.
    This is inevitable, right? As soon as Huntley struggles, the pressure to go with Williams will be there. It was a complete disaster when we did that back-and-forth a few years ago.

Uh, wha happend!!!!!!???????????

I find it interesting how protective of a poor QB we are.

We should be glad that someone was better than Troy because Troy wasn't very good last year.
    Is it because we have no faith in our offense at all?

Or do we paint Troy in a rosier light because we underachieved last year but still won 9 games?

We lost 18 players to the NFL. We should have been in the playoffs. QB play was terrible last year.

Yet we long for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I find it interesting how protective of a poor QB we are.

We should be glad that someone was better than Troy because Troy wasn't very good last year.
    Is it because we have no faith in our offense at all?

Or do we paint Troy in a rosier light because we underachieved last year but still won 9 games?

We lost 18 players to the NFL. We should have been in the playoffs. QB play was terrible last year.

Yet we long for that?
    Toeing the party line seconds after the announcement is made; hats off.

I don't think anyone thought that Troy W was a world beater last year. But he was very similar to T Wilson, IMO.

You're telling me that you are stoked to have Huntley start, a sophomore running QB that looks about 150 soaking wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

I don't think anyone thought that Troy W was a world beater last year. But he was very similar to T Wilson, IMO.

You're telling me that you are stoked to have Huntley start, a sophomore running QB that looks about 150 soaking wet?
    Personally, I think our coaching staff - especially Taylor - is getting overly excited about the new offense. I mean, it killed in high school last year. They have convinced themselves that it is dynamite and that we'll take the conference by storm. They figure Huntley is the guy to do that. Once reality sets in - they might wish they had gone with the experienced QB.

The good news is that the experienced QB will be there waiting if/when they need him. The bad news is that QB switching mid season is usually a sign of a train wreck.

Personally, I think our coaching staff - especially Taylor - is getting overly excited about the new offense. I mean, it killed in high school last year. They have convinced themselves that it is dynamite and that we'll take the conference by storm. They figure Huntley is the guy to do that. Once reality sets in - they might wish they had gone with the experienced QB.

The good news is that the experienced QB will be there waiting if/when they need him. The bad news is that QB switching mid season is usually a sign of a train wreck.
    Yes to everything.

At the end of October I want to compare what has happened by then with these statements:

Utes coach Kyle Whittingham described Huntley’s play-making ability as “electric” earlier in camp.

“He’s progressed a lot,” Taylor said last week of Huntley. “From the spring until now, he’s almost a different guy.”

“We’ve been running the heck out of the ball for a lot of years,” Whittingham said at the start of camp. “The last three years in particular, we haven’t gotten over the hump. We’re coming up short, and we’ve got to be better in throwing the football. That’s [Taylor’s] forte. That’s his area of expertise. That and quarterback development.”
    Utah football: Sophomore Tyler Huntley is named Utah's starting quarterback, edging out senior Troy Williams

--Yeats

I don't think our coaches are that dumb.

I didn't realize Taylor coached EWU and High School last year. Impressive.

Have any of you guys watched Huntley?

Have any of you watched Taylor's offense last year?

Do you honestly think that they ran a high school offense vs our defense and our defense let them be successful for some feel goods?

What about Yogi Roth? Did Utah coaches pay him to be so complimentary of the offense?

Come on guys.

Now, you bring up experience. What about Troy's experience do you love?

His 53% completion?

His 20 TD's and 19 INT/fumbles?

His 11th ranked red zone scoring (and over 100th ranked nationally)?

His poor pass efficiency?

We should have won the PAC-12 last year. We had the talent. We had the easy schedule.

Yet we failed. Why? Our QB play.

We had the #3 rushing offense in the PAC-12. It wasn't the OL and RB's fault.

So, we've found a better QB and everyone starts wishing for Troy?

That's is what I don't get. It doesn't make sense.

But I guess I just "toe the party line"

Lol.
    Last edited by Utah; 08-21-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

Let's break this down ... The QB situation, taking on transfers of not just questionable, but highly questionable character, and all after turning the offense over to an unproven FCS coach, in the context of struggling to find success with college football hall of fame coaches he has had on his staff, reeks of certain desperation. Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.

On some level, you've got to admire the decision making: he's all in this season on maybe trying something radically different and changing Utah's football fortunes. Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.

Tactically, it makes sense, especially if the coaches have determined they aren't going to have much of a running game. Of course, through the media we have been told, the Utes will plan to throw it 7 out of 8 plays, and you just brought in (questionable character et al) a true difference maker at receiver. But You're telling me this sophomore is the best bet to get him the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Let's break this down ... The QB situation, taking on transfers of not just questionable, but highly questionable character, and all after turning the offense over to an unproven FCS coach, in the context of struggling to find success with college football hall of fame coaches he has had on his staff, reeks of certain desperation. Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.

On some level, you've got to admire the decision making: he's all in this season on maybe trying something radically different and changing Utah's football fortunes. Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.

Tactically, it makes sense, especially if the coaches have determined they aren't going to have much of a running game. Of course, through the media we have been told, the Utes will plan to throw it 7 - 8 plays, and you just brought in (questionable character et al) a true difference maker at receiver. But You're telling me this sophomore is the best bet to get him the ball?

--Yeats

I don't think the Utes are doomed. I think, by the end of the season, Ute fans will see both Williams and Bateman start.

who knows how this will turn out, but for a Y fan to complain about Troy Taylor's prior coaching experience is rich, given Detmer's pedigree at a tiny private school in Texas.

I don't think the Utes are doomed. I think, by the end of the season, Ute fans will see both Williams and Bateman start.
    Hmmm.

Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.... Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.
    Clearly our situation is hopeless. Fortunately we Utes fans are made of sterner stuff than you think we are.

quote-hope-means-hoping-when-things-are-hopeless-or-it-is-no-virtue-at-all-as-long-as-matters-gi.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-21-2017 at 12:09 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    who knows how this will turn out, but for a Y fan to complain about Troy Taylor's prior coaching experience is rich, given Detmer's pedigree at a tiny private school in Texas.
    I thought we were talking Utah football—take that crap (auto correct?) to the 'I Wish I Knew How to Quit You' thread.

I thought we were talking utah football—take that clap trap to the 'I Wish I Knew How to Quit You' thread.

why do you bother?

I listened to the Utecast fall camp wrap up this morning, and FWIW, they did say that Huntley was a pretty narrow miss on the team captain vote. So, he's clearly a guy the team can rally around, IMO.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    why do you bother?
    It's a sports message board. I grew up going to Utah games, playing touch football in the south end zone blah blah ... when Mormon Red Death calls, I still go to games with him, just like he will happily go to BYU games with me. Of all the sports I watch, I love college football the most, so why not?

Why is Taylor unproven?

With Huntley's ability and desire to take off and run, my guess is we will see plenty of Williams this year anyway.

Why is Taylor unproven?
    As compared to Andy Ludwig, Dennis Erikson, Norm Chow etc., he's unproven. It's a radical choice and just might work:

Again, why is he unproven?

What has he not proved? Can he not coach up a QB?

Can he not win?

Can he not be a play caller for an elite offense?

What has he not proven?

Again, why is he unproven?

What has he not proved? Can he not coach up a QB?

Can he not win?

Can he not be a play caller for an elite offense?

What has he not proven?
    He hasn't proven anything yet. We're all happy to have him, and we're all optimistic, but he's the definition of unproven.

Huntley won the job - I'm happy and excited. Unlike you, I think Williams is a good QB. It would take a lot to win this job over TW, which makes me even more excited about Huntley. But, there will be speed bumps, both for Huntley and for Taylor. There always are. I think Taylor will be surprised that his offense doesn't translate into instant success in the Pac-12. There will be times when we will all wish we had TW's experience on the field.

He hasn't proven anything yet. We're all happy to have him, and we're all optimistic, but he's the definition of unproven.

Huntley won the job - I'm happy and excited. Unlike you, I think Williams is a good QB. It would take a lot to win this job over TW, which makes me even more excited about Huntley. But, there will be speed bumps, both for Huntley and for Taylor. There always are. I think Taylor will be surprised that his offense doesn't translate into instant success in the Pac-12. There will be times when we will all wish we had TW's experience on the field.
    So, he's never developed a QB?

He's never beaten a P5 school with a high powered offense?

He's never taken a shit storm of a program and turned into one of the best in the country?

What has he not proven?

Can he develop QB's?

I'd argue yes, look at his passing history (Folsom High results, last year his QB was a former walkon, and, oh, Jake Browning, arguably the most efficient QB in college football).

Can he call plays? He did great at the high school level and at the college level.

Now, he lacks experience at this level but unproven? No.

Where is he "unproven"?