Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The quarterback competition 2017

I really hope Huntley is successful. I have to admit that I feel bad for Williams. I believe he will get his shot at some point and I hope he kills it.

Hot take Tuesday:

Huntley gets close to 300 yards total offense vs ND.

100+ rushing
    150+ passing

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    FWIW, Eastern Washington is D-1.
    And so is Cal, where he coached. And Colorado, where he coached.And a few years in the NFL (even if riding pine) looks nice on a resume, as does being Cal's all-time best QB not named Jared Goff.

But he coached High School for 14 years, so screw him.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    And so is Cal, where he coached. And Colorado, where he coached.And a few years in the NFL (even if riding pine) looks nice on a resume, as does being Cal's all-time best QB not named Jared Goff.

But he coached High School for 14 years, so screw him.

Right?
    I'll amend my take again to add "this century". And where did I say anything close to "screw him"?
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    FWIW, i heard that they may have reached consensus, but Whitt wanted Williams. That is why it took so long. Staff is concerned that TW will become a turnover machine in the P12 games.
    I decided to read through this thread again and this comment stuck out to me the second time around.

Dolce was on the radio recently and said he wasn't surprised that Whitt/Taylor went with Huntley as Whitt is always wanting the younger, higher potential guys to get on the field ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'll amend my take again to add "this century". And where did I say anything close to "screw him"?
    It doesn't really matter.

The fact that our OC/QB coach actually played QB and privately coached QBs in addition to coaching them in HS, is already a huge improvement for the coaching staff.

not this time, according to staff. he had to be brought around.

not this time, according to staff. he had to be brought around.
    Who are you taking about?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Whitt?

One really positive thing to keep in mind: Utah has never had the depth at QB that it will this season.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Whitt. I was replying to Utah's post quoting Frank Dolce, but replied without quote by accident.

+Food for thought

300 yards total offense wouldn't surprise me at all from Huntley.

50+ rushing/game
    250-ish passing/game

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    I know I'm probably the only Ute fan who doesn't blame Roderick for Utah's offensive struggles, but the OC is only as good as his players. Utah has had below average QBs in the PAC12 and well below average WRs. With very good OL and RBs, it's a no brainer to run the ball. The trouble came on third and 8 when none of the WRs could get open. Maybe it was Roderrick's fault the talent wasn't better but I don't blame him for the offensive troubles.

But what do I know? Hopefully Taylor has the talent to run his offense.
    I guess the big question is was it a lack of talent or unimaginative coaching.

I like ARod, so I don't want to dump on him. I suppose we may get somewhat of an answer this year.

One really positive thing to keep in mind: Utah has never had the depth at QB that it will this season.
    Utah definitely has more depth at QB than last year. Let's take a look at how this year stacks up with others:

2017: Huntley (SO), Williams (SR), Bateman (SR) - an unproven athletic starter with two senior backups who have proven to be tolerable but nothing special against PAC 12 and SEC opponents.
    2016: Williams (JR), Huntley (true FR) - two unknowns, horrible depth.
    2015: Wilson (SR), Thompson (SR), Cox (SO) - outstanding depth, two QBs who had started numerous games and a redshirt sophomore who had played in garbage time in 2014.
    2014: Wilson (JR), Thompson (JR), Cox (FR redshirt)
    2013: Wilson (SO), Shulz (SO), Manning (SO)
    2012: Wynn (SR), Hays (came from a community college that cut their football program), Wilson (true freshman) - horrible depth, especially knowing Wynn was a china doll.
    2011: Wynn (JR), Hays (came from a community college that cut their football program), Robles (SO), Shulz (FR) - horrible depth, especially knowing Wynn was a china doll.
    2010: Wynn (SO), Cain (SR), Robles (FR)
    2009: Cain (JR), Wynn (true FR), Christopher (true FR) - horrible depth, unproven JC QB with only true freshmen backing up.
    2008: Johnson (SR), Louks (SO) - horrible depth, had BJ gone down the season would have gone from best ever to one of the worst.
    2007: Johnson (JR), Grady (SR)
    2006: Ratliff (SR), Grady (JR), Johnson (JR) - so much experienced depth that Johnson was redshirted to allow him additional season to heal from knee injury. In my opinion, this year we had the best depth ever.
    2005: Johnson (SO), Ratliff (JR)
    2004: Smith (JR), Johnson (true freshman) - horrible depth, only true freshman behind QB who would likely go to NFL.
    2003: Elliot (JR), Smith (SO), Rice (SR)
    2002: Rice (JR), Smith (true FR)
    2001: Rice (SO), Breska (FR) - are you kidding me? Did we absolutely forget to recruit QBs, MAFU???
    2000: Arceneaux (SR), Croshaw (JR), Rice (FR)

I feel we've had more depth than this coming season in 2015 and 2006. We've had terrible depth in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2016.

I remember when Grady transferred from Oklahoma, Whit said something to the effect that we had the greatest qb depth in the country, and got roasted everywhere. Chalk that up to being a slightly inexperienced head coach.

I remember when Grady transferred from Oklahoma, Whit said something to the effect that we had the greatest qb depth in the country, and got roasted everywhere. Chalk that up to being a slightly inexperienced head coach.
    I think Grady would have been an NFL draft pick had Utah had any receivers for him to throw to. Derrick Richards....really?? Grady tore it up in AFL. Ratliff played in the NFL, and BJ is a legend. With all due respect to LA Ute, who is one of the more knowledgeable Ute fans I've come across, I maintain those three QB's were better than the three we have now. We do not have a QB that will ever be on an NFL roster.
    Last edited by Larry Stubing; 08-23-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Stubing View Post
    We do not have a QB that will ever be on an NFL roster.
    I think that's more a factor of the divergence of the college and pro games WRT the spread offense. College coaches are paid to win college games and a running QB can do more damage in college than in the pros.

Troy Williams high school coach is making some noise against Utah due to Huntley being named a starter. http://www.latimes.com/sports/highsc...htmlstory.html

Apparently, DJ and PK gave him another microphone on their radio show this morning.

Classless by DJ and PK. Just goes to show you how pathetic BYU fan has become.

While I feel inclined to defend to the Ute coaching staff from the accusations that they were being disingenuous -- holding off on the announcement so Troy wouldn't transfer -- I do agree that it doesn't make a whole of sense to bench a QB who beat USC and UCLA and started all 13 games while battling an injury.

If Huntley doesn't light it up in the first half of the opener, making people say "Wow, no wonder they named him the starter," this move will have a lot of fans calling for Troy to start the next game.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    While I feel inclined to defend to the Ute coaching staff from the accusations that they were being disingenuous -- holding off on the announcement so Troy wouldn't transfer -- I do agree that it doesn't make a whole of sense to bench a QB who beat USC and UCLA and started all 13 games while battling an injury.

If Huntley doesn't light it up in the first half of the opener, making people say "Wow, no wonder they named him the starter," this move will have a lot of fans calling for Troy to start the next game.
    I don't understand posts like this

1) This idea that last years games automatically grant some status makes no sense. You want the best QB THIS year. What happened last September and October had little relevance. I appreciate what TW did, I like the kid, but wins last year are just that. Wins last year.

2) Fans want the backup regardless of who it is. That's the nature of fans. It happens regardless of who the starter is. I'm certainly glad our coaches don't let that decide who is starting.

Reading your post the coaches are damned either way they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don't understand posts like this

1) This idea that last years games automatically grant some status makes no sense. You want the best QB THIS year. What happened last September and October had little relevance. I appreciate what TW did, I like the kid, but wins last year are just that. Wins last year.

2) Fans want the backup regardless of who it is. That's the nature of fans. It happens regardless of who the starter is. I'm certainly glad our coaches don't let that decide who is starting.

Reading your post the coaches are damned either way they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Any other position and no one blinks when last year's starter gets beat out. If anything, I feel optimistic when a solid starter gets beat out by an up and comer. That's how I'm going to feel going into this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Exactly. Any other position and no one blinks when last year's starter gets beat out. If anything, I feel optimistic when a solid starter gets beat out by an up and comer. That's how I'm going to feel going into this season.
    Other positions typically see some rotation throughout a game and no one blinks at that. Everybody takes notice when a change is made at QB during a game or week to week. Coaches were criticized when T Wilson was pulled for Thompson, arguing that TW's confidence was impacted by the short leash.

If Huntley really is the best player, than I would expect to be saying by halftime next Thursday, "Wow, no wonder they picked him." If it is a replay of last year's opener, I am going to be very concerned, and very doubtful.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

USS-

I'd counter with this:

If not for Troy, we blow BYU out, beat Cal, Oregon and Colorado and maybe even Washington.

Troy was really good vs USC and ASU.

And that was it.

He was not good at all the rest of the time.

Our defense and special teams were outstanding last year. Same with our run game. With an average passing game, we win the south and maybe the PAC-12. With an average passing game, we are in the Rose Bowl at worst.

Look at what Troy had:

5 NFL OL.
    The best RB in Utah history.
    At least one NFL WR, and probably two.

And Troy was bad. Bottom of the PAC-12. Thank goodness for OSU and Stanford to keep Troy off the basement floor.

Troy didn't earn anything from his play last year. In fact, we should all be glad he was beaten.

I am going to be very concerned, and very doubtful.
    You are a Utah fan. You wear your concern as a badge of honor.

😂

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    You are a Utah fan. You wear your concern as a badge of honor.

😂
    i am concerned. you are all lightweight pretenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    USS-

I'd counter with this:

If not for Troy, we blow BYU out, beat Cal, Oregon and Colorado and maybe even Washington.

Troy was really good vs USC and ASU.

And that was it.

He was not good at all the rest of the time.

Our defense and special teams were outstanding last year. Same with our run game. With an average passing game, we win the south and maybe the PAC-12. With an average passing game, we are in the Rose Bowl at worst.

Look at what Troy had:

5 NFL OL.
    The best RB in Utah history.
    At least one NFL WR, and probably two.

And Troy was bad. Bottom of the PAC-12. Thank goodness for OSU and Stanford to keep Troy off the basement floor.

Troy didn't earn anything from his play last year. In fact, we should all be glad he was beaten.
    The QB tends to get the blame, even when it isn't deserved. Troy was better early than late, which might have had something to do with injury. What I remember against Cal is an running back running the wrong way and a pass defense that wasn't What I remember against Colorado are receivers dropping balls they should have caught.

In any case, the same could have been -- and was -- said about Travis Wilson. If my memory is right, you always defended TW.

The QB tends to get the blame, even when it isn't deserved. Troy was better early than late, which might have had something to do with injury. What I remember against Cal is an running back running the wrong way and a pass defense that wasn't What I remember against Colorado are receivers dropping balls they should have caught.

In any case, the same could have been -- and was -- said about Travis Wilson. If my memory is right, you always defended TW.
    I did. I loved me some Wilson. I will defend him to the bitter end.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Being the QB is tough. I hope Huntley lights it up. I hope if TW plays he lights it up.

Against Colorado, Joe Williams had a catastrophic fumble with 10 minutes left in the game. Troy subsequently led a scoring drive that finished with a TD. If not for the fumble, Utah wins.