Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The quarterback competition 2017

Scheme and routes can affect drops. Receivers can catch nearly anything thrown to them if they have separation, but if everything is tightly contested it is much more difficult. The wide open RB who dropped the sure game-winning TD pass at Arizona was significant because that egregious of a drop is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Are you a troll? Quit blaming the WRs for drops? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

This is the dumbest argument on the internet currently.
    Nice response.

What other Utah QB has had an issue with drops this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Scheme and routes can affect drops. Receivers can catch nearly anything thrown to them if they have separation, but if everything is tightly contested it is much more difficult. The wide open RB who dropped the sure game-winning TD pass at Arizona was significant because that egregious of a drop is rare.
    Exactly. This reminds me of when I said Mangum would struggle as a prostyle QB because everything is different. Footwork, arm angles, reads, where to look, etc.

And I was roundly mocked. Now, it's all people can talk about...how the prostyle offense has hurt Mangum.

I don't know what is different between Troy and Huntley, but something is different.

I don't know if Troy throws the ball early or late, if he makes the wrong reads, if he throws it too hard...but there is something different about him than Huntley that is leading to his terrible comp %.

That's all I'm saying.

But, like with Mangum going under center, I'm the troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Nice response.

What other Utah QB has had an issue with drops this year?
    None, no QB ever has had issues with drops. Drops are - by definition - an issue for WRs. What kickers have had issues with missed tackles? What safeties have had issues finding holes in the run game? What giraffes have had issues migrating to Antarctica for the summer?
    Last edited by sancho; 09-26-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Now, it's all people can talk about...how the prostyle offense has hurt Mangum.
    I haven't heard anyone say anything about Mangum for a long time.

I don't know what is different between Troy and Huntley, but something is different.
    What's different is that Huntley is better. He's more accurate, and he can throw well on a roll out. His running adds a dimension that defenses have to respect, and that opens up the throw game for him. All this can be true without the voodoo of "our WRs can catch good balls from Huntley but not from Williams."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I haven't heard anyone say anything about Mangum for a long time.

Speaking of which, here is a little tidbit I heard the other day. Mangum is from the SLC Mangum family, his great-grandfather was Ernest L. Wilkinson. Anyway, in the 4th quarter of the Utah game, Mangum went up Detmer and said, "we cant keep running this pro-style offense. We don't have the personnel for it." That was when they started operating out of the shotgun, and more hurry up, and moved the ball against us. FWIW.

Exactly. This reminds me of when I said Mangum would struggle as a prostyle QB because everything is different. Footwork, arm angles, reads, where to look, etc.

And I was roundly mocked. Now, it's all people can talk about...how the prostyle offense has hurt Mangum.

I don't know if Troy throws the ball early or late, if he makes the wrong reads, if he throws it too hard...but there is something different about him than Huntley that is leading to his terrible comp %.

That's all I'm saying.

But, like with Mangum going under center, I'm the troll.

OK. You win. I had typed a longer response but in the end the point was the same: you are blaming the qb for dropped passes?

We'll just have to agree to disagree: I think WRs are responsible for catching the catches they should make; you disagree and blame the QB. I think we are done here.

OK. You win. I had typed a longer response but in the end the point was the same: you are blaming the qb for dropped passes?

We'll just have to agree to disagree: I think WRs are responsible for catching the catches they should make; you disagree and blame the QB. I think we are done here.
    There is nothing wrong with this response. We don't have to agree. It's what makes message boards fun.

It's when you resort to name calling that makes you an ass.

It's when you resort to name calling that makes you an ass.
    If this was intentionally ironic, well done.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-27-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

If we are truly being honest it's completely Huntley's fault that Williams is even playing, because it is Huntley who hurt himself in the first place. Stoopid Huntley—what was he thinking.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-27-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    If we are truly being honest it's completely Huntley's fault that Williams is even playing, because it is Huntley who hurt himself in the first place. Stoopid Huntley—what was he thinking.
    Can someone translate? Is this Canadian humor, like Strange Brew? Tia

Can someone translate? Is this Canadian humor, like Strange Brew? Tia
    You know, now that I think about it, maybe if Huntley had graduated high school earlier, he could have enrolled in Utah and won the QB job a year earlier, ensuring Williams never saw the field at all!
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-27-2017 at 08:28 AM.

You know, now that I think about it, maybe if Huntley had graduated high school earlier, he could have enrolled in Utah and won the QB job a year earlier, ensuring Williams never saw the field at all!
    Come on man. It feels like you're not even trying anymore. You're better than this. Give us your A game trolling. This is why we keep you around because it is the level of effort we are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Come on man. It feels like you're not even trying anymore. You're better than this. Give us your A game trolling. This is why we keep you around because it is the level of effort we are used to.
    You're right. If only Huntley could have been Utah's QB for the past five seasons, the utes would've won, at the very least, three national championships. Utah: the new Alabama!

You're right. If only Huntley could have been Utah's QB for the past five seasons, the utes would've won, at the very least, three national championships. Utah: the new Alabama!
    I'm telling you, you're wrecking your brand. Please get back to TV deals.

television_obsession.png

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm telling you, you're wrecking your brand. Please get back to TV deals.

television_obsession.png
    We've already established that my brand is truth, no matter how unfriendly and coldly it might be delivered

I'm getting TB's satire here. (Nicely done!)

But purely from a humor standpoint, AJ wins this thread.