Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

We don't have a Rivalry Week thread, so here we go.

I think we'll win by a couple of scores. Despite our offensive line's greenness, our offense is better. Our speed is superior among both our backs and our receivers. BYU's offense won't be able to run on us, and their receivers won't be able to get separation from our DBs. (Not sure about how our LBs will do.)

There you have it. I hope I'm not too far off.

Last edited by LA Ute; 09-03-2017 at 03:02 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Based on what I've seen from both teams this year ...

10 percent of the time, BYU wins

25 percent of the time, Utah wins a one-possession game

25 percent of the time, Utah wins decisively (10-17 points)

40 percent of the time, this is a full-on pillar-to-post bitch slapping where we can name the score after BYU quits, just like it did in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Which is, we have to admit, not very much.

But yeah, based on our limited data, Utah seems like a big favorite. BYU has home field, has played two games instead of one, has played a real opponent, and has more experience at some key positions. On the other hand, Utah has better coaches and personnel.

10 percent of the time, BYU wins

25 percent of the time, Utah wins a one-possession game

25 percent of the time, Utah wins decisively (10-17 points)

40 percent of the time, this is a full-on pillar-to-post bitch slapping where we can name the score after BYU quits, just like it did in 2011.
    Sounds right to me. That's why I hedged and said we win by two scores, which could be 6 points, 10 points,or 14 points.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

It'll be interesting to see if this continues in next Saturday's game:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if this continues in next Saturday's game:
    They really miss Jamaal Williams. He covered up a multitude of deficiencies in that offense.

We are 1 point dogs in Provo

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Honestly I thought we would be favored

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Honestly I thought we would be favored

I have no idea how they came up with that line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I have no idea how they came up with that line

I guess we still have an inexperienced qb and offensive line playing their first real game and first road game.

If Utah loses, it will be due to turnovers and to us allowing them to run the ball.

From my son, whose friend sent this to him.

--Yeats

Ute fans confidence is leaving me a little eerie. While I believe Utah's the more talented team, I'm not convinced that you can draw much on the 3 games that both teams have played. LSU's defense is pretty good. They have the speed to shut anyone down. Like usual this game will be close

Sounds right to me. That's why I hedged and said we win by two scores, which could be 6 points, 10 points,or 14 points.
    Nobody ever refers to a 6-point win as a win by two scores. Two scores is anything between 9 and 16 points.

Going for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Nobody ever refers to a 6-point win as a win by two scores. Two scores is anything between 9 and 16 points.
    But that is what I meant by "two scores." I think we'll win by a couple of field goals or a couple of touchdowns. Now that you know what I meant we can move on.

All that aside, I am becoming a little less confident about my prediction.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-04-2017 at 04:06 AM.

--Yeats

Yep. Two scores means the other team cant win with a touchdown. Two fgs doesnt cut it.

From my son, whose friend sent this to him.

What's up with that "knot"? I don't get it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Ute fans confidence is leaving me a little eerie. While I believe Utah's the more talented team, I'm not convinced that you can draw much on the 3 games that both teams have played. LSU's defense is pretty good. They have the speed to shut anyone down. Like usual this game will be close
    Yeah, agreed. We're a one point underdog for a bunch of reasons (road game, their desire to beat us some time this decade, inexperienced offense, our o line, kavika, etc).

If we win by la's "two scores" (4-80 points) I will be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It wouldn't be that surprising. I mean, we know BYU is not a great team. The question mark here is Utah. We don't know much about our team. We're pretty sure we aren't LSU. But we typically have a good run defense, though, and that should make things tough on BYU.

After seeing Huntley's willingness to throw sidearm on the run, I suspect we'll throw a handful on picks this season. An early big play for BYU could go a long way towards erasing the LSU hangover.

Yeah, agreed. We're a one point underdog for a bunch of reasons (road game, their desire to beat us some time this decade, inexperienced offense, our o line, kavika, etc).

How about I refine my prediction in a semantically acceptable manner? We win by less than a TD (a FG or two), or, if all goes really well, a couple of TDs? Like SCP said, almost half the time this game is a wild one, decided in the last possession.

I think our O-line is our biggest problem against BYU, since their D-line is supposed to be good. Our superior speed is their biggest problem. In this game anything can happen and it usually does. I'm looking forward to an exciting game. I'd love to win a 7th in a row but if we don't, 6 in a row is pretty good.

--Yeats

I'd love to win a 7th in a row but if we don't, 6 in a row is pretty good.
    Forget that. This is a must win. BYU is hurting right now, and we can't allow a breath of life into their program.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Forget that. This is a must win. BYU is hurting right now, and we can't allow a breath of life into their program.
    Agreed. There is sooooo much pressure on byu to win. Kragrhorpe column yesterday said if they dont win this year they may not win for a long time, because the programs are trending in opposing directions. I really hope it is too much pressure.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/09...and-heres-why/
    Last edited by concerned; 09-04-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We are 1 point dogs in Provo

I think Kyle can work with this.

How about I refine my prediction in a semantically acceptable manner? We win by less than a TD (a FG or two), or, if all goes really well, a couple of TDs? Like SCP said, almost half the time this game is a wild one, decided in the last possession.

I think our O-line is our biggest problem against BYU, since their D-line is supposed to be good. Our superior speed is their biggest problem. In this game anything can happen and it usually does. I'm looking forward to an exciting game. I'd love to win a 7th in a row but if we don't, 6 in a row is pretty good.
    Thanks. So you are saying Utah will win by 1 to 14 points? Wonderful!

Thanks. So you are saying Utah will win by 1 to 14 points? Wonderful!
    You've been spending too much time on a board where clever snarkiness trumps all else, including substantive, enjoyable conversation among like-minded sports fans.

So to refine further my earlier statement, I will quote it without revision: We win by less than a TD (a FG or two), or, if all goes really well, a couple of TDs.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-04-2017 at 08:51 AM.

--Yeats

You've been spending too much time on a board where clever snarkiness trumps all else, including substantive, enjoyable conversation among like-minded sports fans.

So to refine further my earlier statement, I will quote it without revision: We win by less than a TD (a FG or two), or, if all goes really well, a couple of TDs.
    Ok, 1-14 points. Gotcha.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-04-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Ok, 1-14 points. Gotcha.
    Now you've got it!!!

--Yeats

Collectively speaking, my opinion is that fans (people) are biased, emotional, and often take on parochial views. And, many rely on their brief, barely athletic, high school football-playing experience as a reference point. There are exceptions, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

[
    Well if you define clever in terms that would apply to a 10 year-old, then perhaps you are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Collectively speaking, my opinion is that fans (people) are biased, emotional, and often take on parochial views. And, many rely on their brief, barely athletic, high school football-playing experience as a reference point. There are exceptions, of course.
    Hey!!! I made the junior varsity!

--Yeats

The two deep for this week has just been released. Kavika is still listed as the starter. Is that good news for this week or or is this completely unrelated to who's actually in position to play?