Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    So the Cal, UCLA, and Washington games this week aren't relevant?
    Well, if they are not on the PAC12 network (the home of the Utes), then they must be.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Oh snap
    I get the impression that Wilner fields a lot of questions from earnest, ignorant BYU fans.

That's OK—PAC12 fans are used to being on the periphery.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I get the impression that Wilner fields a lot of questions from earnest, ignorant BYU fans.
    Like tooblue. I bet I could find 100 messages to Wilner in his sent mail box, most of them with subject "Pac-13?"

I'm very surprised Wilner is such a student of the Holy War.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

tooblue's entire schtick is TV draw and "relevance". He knows BYU is gonna get rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm very surprised Wilner is such a student of the Holy War.
    Except he's not.

BYU wasn't at 9 in a row in '93 since Utah won in '88. Their 9 in a row was '79-'87.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    tooblue's entire schtick is TV draw and "relevance". He knows BYU is gonna get rolled.
    Hostile brought it up—the fact y'all's insecurity runs so deep you can't let it go is the reason it keeps rolling on. And just to be clear, BYU played an FCS opponent in their first game and it was nationally broadcast on a channel that is available on all platforms. Utah played an FCS opponent on a channel more than half the sports fans in the US can't get. Just say'n.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Hostile brought it up—the fact y'all's insecurity runs so deep you can't let it go is the reason it keeps rolling on. And just to be clear, BYU played an FCS opponent in their first game and it was nationally broadcast on a channel that is available on all platforms. Utah played an FCS opponent on a channel more than half the sports fans in the US can't get. Just say'n.
    It's really cruel and classless of you to keep poking at our insecurity.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

does anyone speak this dialect of Canadian? I'm unclear about what he's trying to say.

According to historian Larry Gerlach, Mormons have historically expressed "a constant need for validation and assurance" (http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar...mpika1101b.pdf).

You can do better than this, tooblue! It's BYU-Utah week, not "our TV contract is better than yours" week!
    Put some effort into some smack-talk and come back when you're ready.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    You can do better than this, tooblue!
    None of us, including tooblue, really believe this.

I guess we'll have to take solace that we'll only be relevant in November.

I guess we'll have to take solace that we'll only be relevant in November.
    Like last year ... or maybe the year before that, when the conference sent the Utes to Vegas, to play BYU?

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    According to historian Larry Gerlach, Mormons have historically expressed "a constant need for validation and assurance" (http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrar...mpika1101b.pdf).

You can do better than this, tooblue! It's BYU-Utah week, not "our TV contract is better than yours" week!
    Put some effort into some smack-talk and come back when you're ready.
    Is it ironic, or maybe just interesting that it was easier for me to watch Hostile's son's high school football game last week than it was to watch Utah's game? After all we keep hearing about separation, or gaps existing between the two schools. But, really, what kind of gap is there?

Is it ironic, or maybe just interesting that it was easier for me to watch Hostile's son's high school football game last week than it was to watch Utah's game? After all we keep hearing about separation, or gaps existing between the two schools. But, really, what kind of gap is there?
    other than money, head to head wins and recruits, nothing

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    other than money, head to head wins and recruits, nothing

Won't it be hard parting with those ribbons—hard fought as they were for the Utes to earn year last season, the season before that, and every season upcoming for the new Washington State!

A handy map for those going to the game on Saturday.

Won't it be hard parting with those ribbons—hard fought as they were for the Utes to earn year last season, the season before that, and every season upcoming for the new Washington State!
    Wait, let me amend that. Washington State has been to the Rose Bowl ... Utah, the new Arizona!

Washington St is currently ranked #20, is that a bad thing? I don't get it

Like last year ... or maybe the year before that, when the conference sent the Utes to Vegas, to play BYU?
    You're thinking of December. I'm thinking of November. You know, the month where conference championships are decided. Yes, we faltered down the stretch, but we had an opportunity.

You're thinking of December. I'm thinking of November. You know, the month where conference championships are decided. Yes, we faltered down the stretch, but we had an opportunity.
    BYU's late season Gauntlet:

San Jose St
    Fresno St
    UNLV
    UMASS
    Hawaii

Clearly ESPN helped arrange that must see TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    BYU's late season Gauntlet:

San Jose St
    Fresno St
    UNLV
    UMASS
    Hawaii

Clearly ESPN helped arrange that must see TV.
    Funny thing is, that is their best Nov since independence day by far. At least those are FBS teams.

The r/CFB thread on the Utah/BYU Holy War got locked due to bad behavior after only 5 hours and 170 comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...xl&sh=356cfe96

byuutahthread.png

I really don't think that Tyler Detmer is a good offensive coordinator. He is going to make Scalley's job easy on Saturday.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

The r/CFB thread on the Utah/BYU Holy War got locked due to bad behavior after only 5 hours and 170 comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...xl&sh=356cfe96

byuutahthread.png
    Freaking Urban Meyer introducing hate into this thing.

It's a 13th game you guys got because you're playing at Hawaii -- something available to all FCS teams. Most teams playing 13 games get 7 at home, not the 6 BYU has, and most teams play that extra game in November, not a week before anyone else at the start of the season. But you gotta get people to come to LES when you can, right?

I would love to watch the Cougs play byu. It is possible they would put up 90 points.

I bet byu would crack the 30 point mark against them too...

of course I will: BYU is nationally relevant and a big TV draw.
    And yet can't even sell out their biggest game of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    And yet can't even sell out their biggest game of the year.
    It's not even close. I was looking to buy some tickets for me and my friends, and they had several sideline sections with 8 seats together that were available. And they weren't at the top, either.