Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Some observations ... Utah struggled to beat a offensively inept football team, and that is demonstrative of a massive gap existing between the two programs? The only real gap that exists, is Utah, despite copious mistakes and coaching brain farts expects to win, BYU, simply does not.
    sooooo when BYU went on that 18-2 domination of Utah back in the 70's and 80's that wasn't a talent gap issue, but simply Lavell and Norm Chow expecting BYU to win?

I think you're ignoring the NFL disparity back then (for BYU) and today (for Utah) but nobody ever claimed you were logical or reasonable.

So you are saying there isn't ineptitude on both sides ... meaning BYU likely fielded the best defense you will see all season ... is that what you are saying?

lol

Like I said earlier, ya'll are:

1st: PAC12 fans
    2nd: BYU haters
    3rd: college football fans
    4th: Utah sports fans
    Are you suggestion we should have won by 9 instead of 2?

That's now how we treat our bretheren.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It's already there (they last beat Utah in 2009!).
    Yup. And we will ordain the win streak a Deacon in 2021, the year Whitt retires.

Some observations ... Utah struggled to beat a offensively inept football team, and that is demonstrative of a massive gap existing between the two programs? The only real gap that exists, is Utah, despite copious mistakes and coaching brain farts expects to win, BYU, simply does not.

While I do think your offensive coordinator is suspect, it's clear BYU's defense is stout, and that in large part explains Ute ineptitude in the Red Zone. However, the two issues would have me worried for the rest of the season, were I a rabid Ute fan.

For the third year in a row, you barely to beat your rival and the only real highlight you are gushing about is your kicker making a shoe string tackle on a kick return ...

lol ...
    OTOH, Utah scored just 20 last year while committing 6 turnovers, and that team went on to win 9 regular season games. This year's offense has so much more potential than last year's and most of the mistakes and brain farts are fixable.

Evidently, you missed the video above featuring Utah's "throw game", which is definitely worth gushing about.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Doug Robinson: Reversal of fortune—How Utah and BYU switched places

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ed-places.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hah. I missed the "vow" part of this.

I can smell it now. The narrative the rest of the season will be that BYU would have won had Beau Hoge been the starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I can smell it now. The narrative the rest of the season will be that BYU would have won had Beau Hoge been the starting QB.
    He'll get his chance next year. And Whittingham will flash the Van B boys secret sign.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Hah. I missed the "vow" part of this.

Wait, let me get this straight: the BYU game is supposedly "just another game ..." However, according to the head coach it is not only the biggest game of the year, but the all encompassing reason for coaching. Yup, sounds about right—let me amend my previous observation:

BYU haters 1st
    PAC12 fans 2nd
    College football fans 3rd

Utah fans 4th

Don't worry, you will always have women's volleyball.

Wait, let me get this straight: the BYU game is supposedly "just another game ..." However, according to the head coach it is not only the biggest game of the year, but the all encompassing reason for coaching. Yup, sounds about right—let me amend my previous observation:

BYU haters 1st
    PAC12 fans 2nd

Utah fans 4th
    you're like the Tanner Mangum of trolls, for every 4 yard completion you'll take a sack and throw a pick. Can someone put the Hodge boy in?

BYU haters 1st
    PAC12 fans 2nd

Utah fans 4th
    It's cute how much you stretch for this type of stuff. I find it adorable.

It's cute how much you stretch for this type of stuff. I find it adorable.
    vow: 1. a solemn promise. synonyms: oath, pledge, promise, bond, covenant ...

Sounds pretty serious to me ... lol ... I ain't the one doing the stretching

I'm just glad you're here.

That blanket you wrap yourself in that says my team would have won had they really wanted to must be awfully comfortable by now.

Don't you have better things to do than making pointless arguments on an opponent's message board? Irrespective of how others may behave on this board, or any other board, don't you have the maturity to walk away? Isn't it enough to support your team on other message boards?

I'm just glad you're here.
    I'm not, as long as he refuses to talk about TV deals.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Don't you have better things to do than making pointless arguments on an opponent's message board? Irrespective of how others may behave on this board, or any other board, don't you have the maturity to walk away? Isn't it enough to support your team on other message boards?
    Been here since this board's inception. I miss Jarid in Cedar, who is in part responsible for creating this place. I think he spends more time hanging out with Cougars on that other site. As does SmackJack and Hostile. Go figure. Were you aware I met LA Ute at the Utah v Notre Game when Gomer Pyle look-a-like Jordan Wynn and his weak shoulders gave a winnable game away in South Bend? I drove my parents 8 hours to see that contest, after they flew in to visit their grand children. Good times. We traveled in style in a Black Camero. Hey, I did witness Utah and it's 100, or maybe 200 faithful beat Michigan at Michigan stadium in the good company of Mormon Red Death, sticking it out through that horrendous thunderstorm. Heck, I bet I've been to more Utah away games than ninety percent of the fans on this site. Would it help you to know I grew up playing touch football in the south end zone during games, and that Two Utes is as big a dork as he seems? Precisely because his way of proving he's smarter than his younger brother is stating emphatically: "I'm not going to talk about it ..." lol ... Relax Justaute. The Utes did just enough to win, again. Head to the Texaco at 13th and 21st and get a cold Dr. Pepper, if the convience story is still there, and celebrate!
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-15-2017 at 04:52 PM.

I miss Jarid in Cedar
    If you miss him, you should visit him over there. It'll be hard, but we'll make do without you for a while.

Cool...not sure why you told me to relax. I'm pretty relaxed, unlike many sports fanatics. I guess I find it funny how people behave.

Does it matter how long you've been here or what you did? I played D1 sport at Utah and coached another back in the early 90's, but i don't go around hang that over people. I get friendly smack -- it can be fun and funny. Nothing wrong with that. Does ad infinitum argument here, on an opponent's forum, ever get anywhere? Oh...you don't really need to respond because I don't care that much about it. I expressed my thought once and that's enough. I have no interest in engaging with you. I'm sure others will take the bait.

Been here since this board's inception. I miss Jarid in Cedar, who is in part responsible for creating this place. I think he spends more time hanging out with Cougars on that other site. As does SmackJack and Hostile. Go figure. Were you aware I met LA Ute at the Utah v Notre Game when Gomer Pyle look-a-like Jordan Wynn and his weak shoulders gave a winnable game away in South Bend? I drove my parents 8 hours to see that contest, after they flew in to visit their grand children. Good times. We traveled in style in a Black Camero. Hey, I did witness Utah and it's 100, or maybe 200 faithful beat Michigan at Michigan stadium in the good company of Mormon Red Death, sticking it out through that horrendous thunderstorm. Heck, I bet I've been to more Utah away games than ninety percent of the fans on this site. Would it help you to know I grew up playing touch football in the south end zone during games, and that Two Utes is as big a dork as he seems? Precisely because his way of proving he's smarter than his younger brother is stating emphatically: "I'm not going to talk about it ..." lol ... Relax Justaute. The Utes did just enough to win, again. Head to the Texaco at 13th and 21st and get a cold Dr. Pepper, if the convience story is still there, and celebrate!

Yawn!

why did you omit that one time you set up tables for the Medicine Hat 2nd ward linger longer?

details zoob details

You were at the Michigan game!?!?!?! You could have told me in person about the struggles of a BYU fan trying to watch his beloved Utes on Canadian cable. Opportunity missed.

Yawn indeed.

Our opponent this week, San Jose State U, was one of the universities leading the charge against racism at universities in the 50s/60s/70s.

One aspect of this was instituting a ban against playing our last opponent in any sports. This ban was joined by Stanford, Cal, UW, the Arizona schools (which led them out of the WAC), at least one of the LA schools, etc. This also led to the protests surrounding games against our last opponent, particularly at a Basketball game at CSU, the 14 players getting kicked off the team at Wyoming for wearing black armbands, and to a lesser extent the Seattle riots rose out of a student movement at UW that tried to get the Huskies to cancel future games with our last opponent.

Onward and upward.

Ahem.....? What about the broken-down car in Ann Arbor and Solon throwing cash pre-Uber at an undergrad to drive us to the game in time? That was a great day to be a Ute!
    Last edited by Solon; 09-16-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Ahem.....? What about the broken-down car in Ann Arbor and Solon throwing cash pre-Uber at an undergrad to drive us to the game in time? That was a great day to be a Ute?
    Crap—forgot about that part of the story. We wouldn't have survived without Solon's level headed decision-making. Mormon Red Death is a hot mess in such situations.

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Were you aware I met LA Ute at the Utah v Notre Game when Gomer Pyle look-a-like Jordan Wynn and his weak shoulders gave a winnable game away in South Bend?
    I dimly remember meeting you. What stands out most in my mind is how unfriendy you were to me. I was a bit taken aback, but wrote the experience off to your being tired or maybe just in a bad mood.

But I do wish you'd get back to talking about television.

Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2017 at 12:20 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I dimly remember meeting you. What stands out most in my mind is how unfriendy you were to me. I was a bit tacken aback, but wrote the experience off to your being tired or maybe just in a bad mood.

But I do wish you'd get back to talking about television.

How could a guy who, just this morning, helped a young Scout catch this salmon in a creek that is roughly 100 yards from my front door be considered rude:

sctslmfshng3.jpg

You were with Two Utes, so maybe you were on edge and mis-read the situation. He has that affect on people.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-16-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

How could a guy who, just this morning, helped a young Scout catch this salmon in a creek that is roughly 100 yards from my front door be considered rude:

sctslmfshng3.jpg

You were with Two Utes, so maybe you were on edge and mis-read the situation. He has that affect on people.
    I didn't say you were rude. Just unfriendly. Probably irritated about the poor TV deal to which the Utes were about to fall prey.

As for Two Utes, he is one heck of a lot of fun to talk to.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2017 at 01:07 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Would probably agree to sell fully leaded coke in order to have Cooper Bateman. He'd be the perfect replacement for the remainder of their season.

Sorry to to disturb your pillow fight fellas,but, in my best Seattle Ute voice...."SWISH"!!

Even with Kalani's own recruits, their team isn't going anywhere. It's becoming a dumpster fire before our eyes. Simply uncompetitive, and i just don't see the talent on the field or in the film room to reverse its fortunes.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Sorry to to disturb your pillow fight fellas,but, in my best Seattle Ute voice...."SWISH"!!

Even with Kalani's own recruits, their team isn't going anywhere. It's becoming a dumpster fire before our eyes. Simply uncompetitive, and i just don't see the talent on the field or in the film room to reverse its fortunes.
    Probably the only chance they have of ever being good is to have a bumper recruiting period when a bunch of highly talented LDS kids who want to go only to BYU. I'm not sure how often that will happen. They should change their approach to football and strive to become like the service academies.

--Yeats