Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    And yet can't even sell out their biggest game of the year.
    Not sure you are aware, but the campuses are roughly 50 miles apart, rendering your observation a bigger indictment against Ute fans, who we know (I have first hand experience) just don't travel well. I mean, you'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to snap up tickets to see the new Arizona play? But we all know Utah fans aren't really football fans—it's just kinda fashionable to be a Ute fan these days, so long as the game is in SLC, making it easy to fill up a stadium that is half the size of LES.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Not sure you are aware, but the campuses are roughly 50 miles apart, rendering your observation a bigger indictment against Ute fans, who we know (I have first hand experience) just don't travel well. I mean, you'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to snap up tickets to see the new Arizona play? But we all know Utah fans aren't really football fans—it's just kinda fashionable to be a Ute fan these days, so long as the game is in SLC, making it easy to fill up a stadium that is half the size of LES.
    Bwahahahahahaha.

Priceless. Just...priceless.

You not selling out LES is an indictment of Utah fans?

Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Bwahahahahahaha.

Priceless. Just...priceless.

You not selling out LES is an indictment of Utah fans?

Fantastic.
    So you are not going to the game then ... classic ... Bwahahahahahaha

Never let it be said again that Toolblue is a one-note troll. He can argue that BYU can't sellout it's own stadium because of U fans AS WELL as complain that a BYU fan in Canada doesn't have good cable tv options.

Well done sir. Well done.

Jujitsu stadium smack.

Hope this bodes well for Saturday: I have been struck the last day or two about how demoralized Y fans are. I listened to Jordan Pendleton on 1280 on the way home last night, and he sounded almost hopeless. He didn't say outright that the y would lose, but he sure seemed resigned to it. Didnt sound excited for the game at all. Recognized the difference in the atheletes.

Seems like most Y fans I know have no confidence. It is starting to remind me of 2003, when the Y couldn't do anything on offense. Hope that is true and we are not overconfident.

Also, they are building up this game as make or break for the program--so many comments like "if we cant win this year, we will slide into irrelevance," there is a "dark cloud hanging over the program," Kalani "has to show he can do it this year," etc. That is a heavy burden to bear; hope it sinks them.

in fairness, many Utah county residents are still making the trek back from that God forsaken great and spacious building in the Big Easy

Attached Images Attached Images

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

I was trying to think this morning of the most painful rivalry game memory I have. I have to go back to 1980. BYU, under Jim McMahon, routed Utah 56-6. I can't really say that one was painful as much as it was depressing. I remember that it was raining softly, but I stayed until the bitter end just to see if LaVell Edwards would leave McMahon in for the entire game. As I recall, he did. It was one of BYU's least-endearing tendencies in that era: leaving their stars in for the entire game in order to pad statistics.

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/det...ame_s=uu_ath_2

In 1983 I was living in LA and we lost 55-7. Steve Young was the quarterback but at least they took him out of the fourth quarter to let Robbie Bosco play. I remember when they were ahead by 40 points and they were still throwing long passes on first down. The BYU offensive coordinator then was a guy named Doug Scovil. Apparently he was the one who loved to run up the score, but I've never really let Lavelle off the hook for that. He was the head coach, after all.

Anyway, those of you who weren't around during that era probably will never appreciate how those of us who did live through it feel now,as we watch Utah's modern-day success. In the PAC-12!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-07-2017 at 08:38 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was trying to think this morning of the most painful rivalry game memory I have. I have to go back to 1980. BYU, under Jim McMahon, routed Utah 56-6. I can't really say that one was painful as much as it was depressing. I remember that it was raining softly, but I stayed until the bitter end just to see if LaVell Edwards would leave McMahon in for the entire game. As I recall, he did. It was one of BYU's least-endearing tendencies in that era: leaving their stars in for the entire game in order to pad statistics.

In 1983 I was living in LA and we lost 55-7. Steve Young was the quarterback but at least they took him out of the fourth quarter to let Robbie Bosco play. I remember when they were ahead by 40 points and they were still throwing long passes on first down. The BYU offensive coordinator then was a guy named Doug Scovil. Apparently he was the one who loved to run up the score, but I've never really let Lavelle off the hook for that. He was the head coach, after all.

Anyway, those of you who weren't around during that era probably will never appreciate how those of us who did live through it feel now,as we watch Utah's modern-day success. In the PAC-12!
    Those losses in the 80s weren't painful, as much as they were soul-crushing. The few times the sun peaked thru the clouds were glorious though (1988).

But 2001 - when we had Staley and Doman on the ropes (and we sucked that year), only to beaten by a Staley run up the sidelines in the fourth quarter is one that I shan't soon forget.

My first memory of this rivalry is in 1994. My great uncle played on the football team in the late 50s with Lee Grosscup. My Dad walked on to the JV basketball team when that was a thing. But as a kid in Texas, he never really pushed the Utes on us. It was close to impossible to follow the team back then. Many saturdays in the fall, we would go to the local LDS meetinghouse and watch BYU play whoever over the satellite and then wed play a pick up game at halftime. All the other kids at church were BYU fans so my Dad was content to let me go that way. If I wasn't at the church, I was at home watching the Texas Longhorns. I deeply regret many things Ive said in this paragraph.

Anyway, one day my Dad says 'Today, we aren't going to the church, and we aren't watching the longhorns, we are going to watch a real team!'. The Utes were on national tv playing colorado state. We went nuts as harold lusk took that ball back for a touchdown, my dad jumping up and down yelling 'GO! GO! GO!' I was instantly converted and was soon trash talking the other kids at church about how the Utes would win.

I don't know what its like to have BYU consistently dominate (except the Boylen years, but I try to forget those ever happened). I hope I never do. GO UTES!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Those losses in the 80s weren't painful, as much as they were soul-crushing. The few times the sun peaked thru the clouds were glorious though (1988).

But 2001 - when we had Staley and Doman on the ropes (and we sucked that year), only to beaten by a Staley run up the sidelines in the fourth quarter is one that I shan't soon forget.
    "Soul-crushing" is the right term. I also remember 2001. That was indeed painful. Argh.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

my one and only trek to Cougar Town was when Utah lost 70-7, but at one point we had a 7-0 lead thanks to a Brian Rowley TD. That was a glorious 5 minutes.

2001 was the last time I had to watch the game with BYU fans. It was hard to find all the right channels in NC in 2001. No fun at all.

I hate all the losses. Lavell's last game and the missed fumble. Kaneshiro. The Harline game. The Hall game. The 4th down conversions in three of those four losses.

"Soul-crushing" is the right term. I also remember 2001. That was indeed painful. Argh.
    2001, 2006, and 2007 were by far the worst, because none of them should have happened--esp. 4th and 18. In the 70s and 80s, we expected to lose 70-0 (except 88, which was glorious).

I attended one game at the Y with my dad when i was a kid, and we one. I went to 54-10, and dont plan to go back because we cant top that. it was so hard to contain my glee for 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    (except 88, which was glorious).
    '88 belongs on that Wilner list. It was such an important win for our collective mental health.

Hope this bodes well for Saturday: I have been struck the last day or two about how demoralized Y fans are. I listened to Jordan Pendleton on 1280 on the way home last night, and he sounded almost hopeless. He didn't say outright that the y would lose, but he sure seemed resigned to it. Didnt sound excited for the game at all. Recognized the difference in the atheletes.

Seems like most Y fans I know have no confidence. It is starting to remind me of 2003, when the Y couldn't do anything on offense. Hope that is true and we are not overconfident.

Also, they are building up this game as make or break for the program--so many comments like "if we cant win this year, we will slide into irrelevance," there is a "dark cloud hanging over the program," Kalani "has to show he can do it this year," etc. That is a heavy burden to bear; hope it sinks them.
    it reminds of 2005 too where most Utes felt we didnt have a chance with BJ being hurt. This is their biggest game. They will be throwing everything at us. BTW... Could Mangum be hurt? He could not throw the ball last Saturday.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I remember the 80's well, and it was a painful decade. And yes, it is nice to see the tables turned. "You young kids just don't get it! And get off my lawn."

I was a youngster for the 1978 game when Gomez led a comeback to win it 23-22. Sitting on the east side, about the 30 yard line I remember the incredible energy in the stadium during that game, especially when the final TD for the win was thrown in the NEZ. The noise was incredible. I remember seeing him throwing the ball. It was amazing.
    That is really my first memory, as it was something memorable. We went to rivalry games before and after 78, but I was too young, and a loss was expected, so nothing memorable.

Ditto for the 1988 game with Scott Mitchell torched them. I was in the student section, and it was sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    it reminds of 2005 too where most Utes felt we didnt have a chance with BJ being hurt. This is their biggest game. They will be throwing everything at us. BTW... Could Mangum be hurt? He could not throw the ball last Saturday.
    very good point. I felt that way in 2005, didn't want to watch, and was shocked when Ratliff won it.

There is speculation among the cougs that Mangum is either hurt or has lost his zip on the ball--that he is not throwing it the way he did two years ago.

very good point. I felt that way in 2005, didn't want to watch, and was shocked when Ratliff won it.

There is speculation among the cougs that Mangum is either hurt or has lost his zip on the ball--that he is not throwing it the way he did two years ago.
    Kind of reminds me of Jordan Wynn when he got arm fatigue or whatever it was. All through fall camp "We gave Jordan the day off to rest because he has been throwing so much, but no worries!" yeah..........

Wut?

Not sure why this wasn't working. Posted again below.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 09-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.

I guess they're playing this in the stadium before kickoff this year.

https://youtu.be/1iVvfsq70fM

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    An interesting contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I remember the 80's well, and it was a painful decade. And yes, it is nice to see the tables turned. "You young kids just don't get it! And get off my lawn."

I was a youngster for the 1978 game when Gomez led a comeback to win it 23-22. Sitting on the east side, about the 30 yard line I remember the incredible energy in the stadium during that game, especially when the final TD for the win was thrown in the NEZ. The noise was incredible. I remember seeing him throwing the ball. It was amazing.
    That is really my first memory, as it was something memorable. We went to rivalry games before and after 78, but I was too young, and a loss was expected, so nothing memorable.

Ditto for the 1988 game with Scott Mitchell torched them. I was in the student section, and it was sublime.
    I was playing football in the south end when Gomez threw the TD pass. I still remember the crowd erupting.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 09-07-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

My favorite game. I decided to go down to Provo with a friend knowing we were double digit underdogs. I had been in that stadium for Detmer's final drubbing of us when BYU could have scored 150 points and I could have played DB almost as well as our guys ( I think that was Fassel's last game) and it was no fun at all, but I took the risk.

Ratliff came out of nowhere to play the freaking game of his life. Winning that game in OT with a backup QB and being a double digit underdog was the greatest. Better than 88 (although this was my second favorite), better than the Billy Priddis game, better than the Fiesta coronation.

Nowadays, I have no interest in going down to that game for an 8:15 start. It's not that big of a game. I'm looking much more forward to the October 7 game with Stanford. Should be terrific.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 09-07-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Utah's vid by a country mile. The flip tackle, Whitt fist pump and fans descending on the 50 like red ants to a grasshopper. Even I'm ready to go take it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I will soon be turning 61 and began going to Utah football games when I was 6 or 7. I remember getting in trouble one day in 3rd or 4th grade and my punishment was not being allowed to watch the Liberty Bowl game. I snuck downstairs and watched it anyways. I started attending the U in 1975 left on an LDS mission in 77 when Utah was in the midst of the worst 4 years in Utah football history (1-10, 1-10, 3-8, 3-8). My parents sent me the newspaper clippings of the 78 Utah victory and I was hopeful that things had changed. The Utes did not win again for 10 more years and I was at most of those games. The funny thing is, I can remember thinking before almost everyone of those games that the Utes had a chance to win. Most of those years the game was over by the end of the first quarter. The 1988 game was magic. All of the angst of the prior 10 losses evaporated as the Utes put it to BYU. We sat on the east side on about the north 15 yard line behind some guys that were probably 4 or 5 years removed from fraternity life. They were entertaining to sit behind and were always having a good time. The best memory of the 1988 game is looking on the field at the end of the game and seeing one of those guys sitting on the goalpost as it was marched from the south to the north endzone.

Some of my favorite wins, in addition to 1988, are the 34-31 wins, the 2005 Ratliff win and the 54-10 win. I was on the Ute sideline for the 54-10 win and there was a total ass right behind the bench who could not shut up. He even cheered when Wynn came off for a few plays with an injury. He left at the end of the 3rd quarter. Nothing better than watching the home fans leave when they know the game is lost.

I disagree with one sentiment often shared here: I LOVE going to Provo for games! I had a streak of attending 10 straight BYU/Utah games in Provo (well, minus one when I was on my mission), beginning with the greatest game of all time:

What a dork.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo