Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Our boys sure seem to be comfortable playing in LES. I daresay they have played us better at RES than in their own place. Not sure why that is but it bodes well for us. Go UTES!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yes and no.

I think they know about as much as we do about Utah. Plus, lines are meant to influence betting, not an actual predictor of the game.

That being said, these people are eerily accurate.
    Someone on UF.net said we're now favored. I don't understand betting so I can't confirm. Anybody know?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

What I will say about BYU's defense vs LSU is this:

BYU was terrible.

LSU had 7 drives into BYU's red zone.

LSU had three TD's, two FG's, missed FG and TO on downs.

LSU said they used less than 10% of their playbook.

LSU's FG's came in the second half.

I don't buy BYU's defense did anything.

LSU got up big, packed it in, ran three plays the second half and settled for FG's. Had LSU wanted to, they could have won by 60. But they decided to shut it down and not show anyone anything because they knew they could.

Uh-oh: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/09...-yes-there-is/

I can't imagine a more ominous article before the game than one written by Gordon Monson which praises the Utes. Kyle should forbid players from reading the SLTrib.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    LSU got up big, packed it in, ran three plays the second half and settled for FG's. Had LSU wanted to, they could have won by 60. But they decided to shut it down and not show anyone anything because they knew they could.
    Sure they did. SEC teams hate to participate in a rout. Gentleman to a fault, the whole lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Someone on UF.net said we're now favored. I don't understand betting so I can't confirm. Anybody know?
    You can get odds anywhere from BYU by 1 to Utah by 1.5. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

I think LA Ute or someone already brought this up - the O'line is the position group that worries me. They did some nice things Thursday but they also struggled, something I expect with a less-experienced position group. I have plenty of confidence that they'll continue improving as the season goes along but I think they'll need to improve considerably to consistently win the line of scrimmage battles Saturday. I have a lot of respect for the Y's front seven. I know they gave up quite a bit Saturday to LSU but if the shoe was on the other foot we'd be all over the offense for not spending equal time on the field to give our defenders some rest. Could this game end up being a punt fest?

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I think LA Ute or someone already brought this up - the O'line is the position group that worries me. They did some nice things Thursday but they also struggled, something I expect with a less-experienced position group. I have plenty of confidence that they'll continue improving as the season goes along but I think they'll need to improve considerably to consistently win the line of scrimmage battles Saturday. I have a lot of respect for the Y's front seven. I know they gave up quite a bit Saturday to LSU but if the shoe was on the other foot we'd be all over the offense for not spending equal time on the field to give our defenders some rest. Could this game end up being a punt fest?
    I don't think so because BYU is too slow. Their secondary is very slow. They have no one who can cover Carrington.

I expect Utah to attack BYU's edges. Kaufusi is a very average DE and Takitaki can't play the run. LSU blocked him with a TE most of the game on Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Sure they did. SEC teams hate to participate in a rout. Gentleman to a fault, the whole lot of them.
    So, you think that the second half BYU suddenly came alive and shut LSU down in the red zone?

I bet you think BYU won three quarters against us at the Vegas Bowl as well, right?

And that Mangum is the best QB in the state, way better than Heaps, and headed to the NFL as well.

So, you think that the second half BYU suddenly came alive and shut LSU down in the red zone?

I bet you think BYU won three quarters against us at the Vegas Bowl as well, right?

And that Mangum is the best QB in the state, way better than Heaps, and headed to the NFL as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It moved to utah -1.5. It means $$ has come in on Utah so v they moved the lines to get action on byu

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

This discussion is about the 2015 Vegas Bowl, Magnum v.s Huntley, and Jake Heaps' NFL prospects??? You need to take a chill pill, bro. Any opinion that is not all sunshine and glory should not be offensive to you.

Yes, BYU's D has some talent (gasp!), and their linebackers are solid (the nerve!), and their d-line is pretty good when you back them up to the goalline (FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY!). Deal with it. Or you can revert to making lists that include Jackson Barton as the best linebacker on the planet. Whatevs.

I STILL HATE THE COUGARS!

"Utah" taking a chill pill is akin to BYU playing clean ball -- ain't happening.

Utah -- not personal, because I don't know you, but it's funny.

This discussion is about the 2015 Vegas Bowl, Magnum v.s Huntley, and Jake Heaps' NFL prospects??? You need to take a chill pill, bro. Any opinion that is not all sunshine and glory should not be offensive to you.

Yes, BYU's D has some talent (gasp!), and their linebackers are solid (the nerve!), and their d-line is pretty good when you back them up to the goalline (FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY!). Deal with it. Or you can revert to making lists that include Jackson Barton as the best linebacker on the planet. Whatevs.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    "Utah" taking a chill pill is akin to BYU playing clean ball -- ain't happening.

Utah -- not personal, because I don't know you, but it's funny.
    The man has to let his freak flag fly!

Let loose brother!

Lol. Barton? That's the best you have?

p.s. LSU, Whitt, everyone on earth said LSU showed nothing and only ran 4 plays the second half.

But you keep you-ing.

Utah,
    I didn't watch the LSU game - interesting to read they took care of Takitaki with a tight end on running plays. I like your thinking on attacking the edges. I was also just ruminating with a colleague over how the Y deals with Carrington. They have to cover him with a corner and safety, don't they? Even in a zone scheme, I'd imagine they'll go to man-to-man wherever he goes. That should open some things up.

My key remains how our offensive line plays. Nothing earth-shattering about that.

Is it only Tuesday?

It's not hard to see Vegas's reasoning, even though this BYU coaching staff is inferior. BYU was consistently competitive against stiff competition last year. BYU came within one play of beating Utah last year. LSU is SEC, and the game was down there--so throw that one out. The game is at BYU. It's a rivalry that's been historically close, and anything can happen in a rivalry. Where the teams are competitive in a charged rivalry, intangibles matter a lot. And BYU is the angriest team, by far. No way Utah rises to BYU's level of rage.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I just hope tooblue is able to catch the game on TV up in Canada.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I just hope tooblue is able to catch the game on TV up in Canada.
    of course I will: BYU is nationally relevant and a big TV draw.

Quote Originally Posted by seattleute View Post
    it's not hard to see vegas's reasoning, even though this byu coaching staff is inferior. Byu was consistently competitive against stiff competition last year. Byu came within one play of beating utah last year. Lsu is sec, and the game was down there--so throw that one out. The game is at byu. It's a rivalry that's been historically close, and anything can happen in a rivalry. Where the teams are competitive in a charged rivalry, intangibles matter a lot. And byu is the angriest more desperate team, by far. No way utah rises to byu's level of rage desperation.
    fify.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Byu is relevant in Canada? I learn something weird about Canada every day.

What about poutine? Do you know about that?
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Sounds just like a Donald Trump tweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course byu is relevant in Canada. Byu being an educational institution (such as it is) allows the church to move tithing dollars out of Canada without paying the taxes they otherwise would. (Tax-free and tax-matching funds collected in Canada are intended to remain in Canada, or are subject to export taxes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Sounds just like a Donald Trump tweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s a ‘no brainer’ for ESPN to air the BYU-Utah game

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/09...byu-utah-game/

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Of course byu is relevant in Canada. Byu being an educational institution (such as it is) allows the church to move tithing dollars out of Canada without paying the taxes they otherwise would. (Tax-free and tax-matching funds collected in Canada are intended to remain in Canada, or are subject to export taxes.)
    DirectTV lets me watch anything ... oh, wait, not the PAC12 network ... let me amend my statement: DirecTV let's me watch all relevant college football games.

DirectTV lets me watch anything ... oh, wait, not the PAC12 network ... let me amend my statement: DirecTV let's me watch all relevant college football games.
    So the Cal, UCLA, and Washington games this week aren't relevant?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Because the Holy War is played in September and because Utah is a newcomer to the conference and because Brigham Young is not in the conference — and never will be (just being honest, BYU) — the rivalry understandably exists on the periphery for mainstream Pac-12 fans.

via GIPHY