Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

relieved that circus week is over. Ugly game, now Utah can move forward and concentrate on football

The score may have been close, but as G Monson said, we had a new inexperienced qb, rb, oc, o line, cb's, playing on the road in front of 63k. If they aren't going to beat us last night, when?

P.s. we were not good enough last night to win many Pac 12 games. USC and uw both look playoff worthy.

P.p.s, the pick call on Wilson was wrong, right? Their db covered him instead of Carrington and got bailed out???
    Last edited by concerned; 09-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A take from Lebowski, one of the smart guys on CougarStadium:
    "We should've won that game by double digits." I know, in your weird loyalty, that you believe CS to be a cut above CB, but the evidence you continue to present shows little difference between the two zoobsites.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The score may have been close, but as G Monson said, we had a new inexperienced qb, rb, oc, o line, cb's, playing on the road in front of 63k. If they aren't going to beat us last night, when?

P.s. we were not good enough last night to win many Pac 12 games. USC and uw both look playoff worthy.

P.p.s, the pick call on Wilson was wrong, right? Their db covered him instead of Carrington and got bailed out???
    Yeah, watched it today, that wasn't a pick.

I'd be less concerned about our penalties if we hadn't just played with PAC-12 refs two weeks in a row.

Btw for those that didn't see...UND beat Missouri State 34-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yeah, watched it today, that wasn't a pick.
    I thought so too, but that rule is complicated. I feel like a lot of modern offense is figuring out how to disguise illegal picks.

Wazzu converted a key third down in overtime last night on what looked like a pick to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    The problem with this game every year is that the score and the stats often don't align.
    Last night, it was a one-touchdown game & went down to the last possession. No surprise there.
    But utah also had big advantages in yards gained and first downs. Utah's defense dominated poor tanner m. (ints, sacks, hurries), but the byu defense did a better job of shutting down the utes on 3rd down.

So, it's easy to say that these teams are close because the score was close.
    But it's also defensible to say that Utah was significantly stronger in the game offensively. Defensively, . . . I thought both teams were good. Utah had trouble running the ball (other than Huntley, I suppose). The byu had trouble throwing it.

That is why this game is always such a crapshoot - in terms of final score, at least.
    Are these teams evenly matched? Who knows? Clearly, the Utes aren't head-and-shoulders above, since these games are so close. On the other hand, seven in a row is practically biblical, and is more than just some lucky bounces.
    Utah had 22-6 easily within their grasp. A bad decision gave BYU a break which they managed to take advantage of.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Whit's comment about "outside influences" was pretty interesting, given last year's BYU game. If you remember, we got the ball just as the 4th quarter started with a four point lead. We then rushed Zach Moss over and over, and put together a 78 yard, 11 minute drive to the BYU 7. Joe Williams caught a pass and sort of mindlessly, ran out of bounds a yard short. 4th and 1 from the 7. Whit opted to kick the field goal to extend the lead to 7. Which turned out being just enough. Many fans chewed into Whit about the decision to play it safe wishing instead that he had more of a killer instinct. "We should have gone for it on 4th down, scoring a touchdown to put the game out of reach."

Fast forward a year later and Whit has practically the same situation. "New offense" and "new killer instinct." He's going to listen to that outside influence and put the game away. Gives it to Moss on 4th and 1, we lose 5 yards and BYU puts together their best drive of the game to bring it within a touchdown.

My thoughts last night were that Whit, ironically, vindicated the decision he made last year.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Btw how About our kicker? I guess you could say I'm the opposite of rick majerus
    In that "I'm a big gay guy"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Btw how About our kicker? I guess you could say I'm the opposite of rick majerus
    In that "I'm a big gay guy"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There was something satisfying about byu being tormented by a player named gay.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    My thoughts last night were that Whit, ironically, vindicated the decision he made last year.
    I suspect that the "outside influences" were players wanting to go for it. No proof, just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

Especially since they apparently rejected him

https://twitter.com/gregmaas11/statu...30040854962176

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    "We should've won that game by double digits." I know, in your weird loyalty, that you believe CS to be a cut above CB, but the evidence you continue to present shows little difference between the two zoobsites.
    CS is CB, with profanity, vulgarity and obscenity, along with anti-church posts, all affectionately tolerated and welcomed. I am loyal to a few individuals there who are my
    friends. Too often the place is insufferable. I almost never go there anymore.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-10-2017 at 01:39 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I suspect that the "outside influences" were players wanting to go for it. No proof, just a hunch.
    That would be my guess as well.

So, how great was Huntley last night? I was worried about decision making from a freshman on the road, but he made great choices all night long. He threw it away a few times when he needed to throw it away. He found receivers while scrambling. He turned bad/dropped snapped into positive plays. Very impressive. I was vocal about my skepticism when he was announced as the starter. Looks like I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That would be my guess as well.

So, how great was Huntley last night? I was worried about decision making from a freshman on the road, but he made great choices all night long. He threw it away a few times when he needed to throw it away. He found receivers while scrambling. He turned bad/dropped snapped into positive plays. Very impressive. I was vocal about my skepticism when he was announced as the starter. Looks like I was wrong.
    First game in a hostile environment = no INTs.

I was skeptical, I am now on board.

I'll say it.

One day Utah will have that special season and having BYU as our "A" game on our OOC schedule is going to hurt us. I get that Utah has to play nice with the Utah legislature, but BYU is not an "A" level opponent. It's an "A" level game in emotion only. In the past 5 years, BYU is 11-16 against the P5. One of those 11 victories was against a team that finished with a winning record.

BYU is barely a "B" level type opponent.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 09-10-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Whit was unhappy about red zone production. But I don't think it was as bad this time as it has been in the past. Weren't most of our failures there last night caused by penalties?
    Call it lack of execution or penalties, it is the same to me. We did not lose to Cal a year ago due to play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'll say it.

One day Utah will have that special season and having BYU as our "A" game on our OOC schedule is going to hurt us. I get that Utah has to play nice with the Utah legislature, but BYU is not an "A" level opponent. It's an "A" level game in emotion only. In the past 5 years, BYU is 11-16 against the P5. One of those 11 victories was against a team that finished with a winning record.

BYU is barely a "B" level type opponent.
    If Utah wins the Pac 12 championship with fewer than 1 loss, it will be in the playoff regardless of OOC. Example: Washington 2016.
    Last edited by UTEopia; 09-10-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Agree with everything.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

He tried to walk onto BYU first and they turned him away.

On the low snaps, Huntley said on the radio last night that Lo's hand was "swollen". I don't know what happened or how.

He said they wrapped it up at half and that fixed things for the second half.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hans Olson on the pick call, which he thinks was wrong, and that the play was a case of blown coverage:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

And here's what a pick does look like:

--Yeats

I had a similar thought last night. Next year is a long way off and tons can change, but based on what we know today I love Utah's chances to make it eight at RES next year. Losing Carrington will hurt but I think Utah finally has the coaching to recruit and develop WRs. Aside from that Utah loses one good OL and two TEs who they don't have much use for and the rest of the offense returns intact. After seeing how Huntley tore them a new one last night Kalani and Tuiaki are going to wake up in a cold sweat all off-season over the prospect of having to face him at RES with that much more experience and, most likely, a better OL and running back situation. Defensively Utah loses some really good DL but that pipeline is stocked as always. As long as Utah can find some competent LB play (Donovan Thompson got some good run last night) then the D will be as good as always.

Sorry about the long rant, but as I said above, unless BYU can find some dramatically better skill players fast then eight in a row looks like a very strong proposition.

An admission.

BYU Football: Conference realignment killed the Holy War

http://www.tornbysports.com/byu-foot...lled-holy-war/

--Yeats

BYU fan: : Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    BYU fan: : Kyle

Kyle hatred among the Cougar faithful will now zoom to stratospheric levels.

--Yeats

I need some clarification. I believe Wilson was the receiver ruled out of bounds on the TD catch. It is my understanding that one foot in-bounds is enough in college football no matter which foot comes down first. How was that play not even reviewed? He clearly dragged the back foot.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I need some clarification. I believe Wilson was the receiver ruled out of bounds on the TD catch. It is my understanding that one foot in-bounds is enough in college football no matter which foot comes down first. How was that play not even reviewed? He clearly dragged the back foot.
    I don't think he had control when the 2nd foot hit the line, but it was close. I'm with you I'm surprised the booth or Whitt didn't challenge

Kyle hatred among the Cougar faithful will now zoom to stratospheric levels.
    LOL. Don't yell "you suck!" at someone who clearly does not suck at coaching and winning football games.

The byu is a tough school to get into. I expect better.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.