Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    LOL. Don't yell "you suck!" at someone who clearly does not suck at coaching and winning football games.

The byu is a tough school to get into. I expect better.
    Tough to get into academically. No high bar to meet when it comes to social skills. In fact, there may be an inverse relationship.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

FWIW , Whitt flashed the 7 at Utah fans. It is obvious on the longer vid.

Well played.

Attached Images Attached Images

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Seven in a row is great. I love it. That said, I do look forward to the game against BYU, and I know this will happen, when we actually get that crucial first down or kick that field-goal that puts the game away and out of reach in the final minutes. Can we please have a game when BYU does not have a chance to win in the game's final possession? Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about a win. It would just be fun and relaxing to win a bit more convincingly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Seven in a row is great. I love it. That said, I do look forward to the game against BYU, and I know this will happen, when we actually get that crucial first down or kick that field-goal that puts the game away and out of reach in the final minutes. Can we please have a game when BYU does not have a chance to win in the game's final possession? Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about a win. It would just be fun and relaxing to win a bit more convincingly.
    I figure either:

1. Whittingham has a soft spot for BYU and tries to keep it close; or

2. He is especially cruel and loves to keep it close to raise their hopes before crushing them at the last minute, a-la Lucy and Charlie Brown.

Those are obviously the only two realistic options.

according to cougarboard, Mangum out 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Ouch! Didn't that happen on the last play of the game?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Guessing you won't have to wait much longer. With the inbred coaching staff they've cobbled together, it could turn ugly pretty quick.

Would probably agree to sell fully leaded coke in order to have Cooper Bateman. He'd be the perfect replacement for the remainder of their season.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

What it looks like to have a Ute QB who can both run and pass:

--Yeats

What it looks like to have a Ute QB who can both run and pass:

It is impossible to watch that video and conclude we only scored one touchdown. just doesn't compute.

It is impossible to watch that video and conclude we only scored one touchdown. just doesn't compute.
    Amen. So frustrating. We are close though. Hopefully it's just a new system coming together.

Savage...

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Savage...

I remember thinking that during the the game. Every other team we see probably has a punt returner capable of turning that lead into the TD.

Some observations ... Utah struggled to beat a offensively inept football team, and that is demonstrative of a massive gap existing between the two programs? The only real gap that exists, is Utah, despite copious mistakes and coaching brain farts expects to win, BYU, simply does not.

While I do think your offensive coordinator is suspect, it's clear BYU's defense is stout, and that in large part explains Ute ineptitude in the Red Zone. However, the two issues would have me worried for the rest of the season, were I a rabid Ute fan.

For the third year in a row, you barely to beat your rival and the only real highlight you are gushing about is your kicker making a shoe string tackle on a kick return ...

lol ...

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    a offensively inept football team
    "an" offensively inept football team.

Isn't that the gap - the fact that one of these teams is inept and one is not? What does the word gap mean to you? Is this one of those things where the word means something different in Canada? Also, did you miss the Huntley passing highlight reel we were all gushing about?

Having the refs take away one TD, one fumble/return and not even reviewing a catch on another TD because camera angles are so poor.

And we still win? Wowza. It's almost like Utah is so more talented that they could gift BYU 21 points, or 6 TO's and still win.

Weird.

Also, the lack of TD's is very, very concerning.

You can beat a bunch of sub par, talent lacking, mid majors with no TD's. But come conference play?

Nope. You'll lose those games vs good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    "an" offensively inept football team.

Isn't that the gap - the fact that one of these teams is inept and one is not? What does the word gap mean to you? Is this one of those things where the word means something different in Canada? Also, did you miss the Huntley passing highlight reel we were all gushing about?
    So you are saying there isn't ineptitude on both sides ... meaning BYU likely fielded the best defense you will see all season ... is that what you are saying?

lol

Like I said earlier, ya'll are:

1st: PAC12 fans
    2nd: BYU haters
    3rd: college football fans
    4th: Utah sports fans

So you are saying there isn't ineptitude on both sides ... meaning BYU likely fielded the best defense you will see all season ... is that what you are saying?

lol

says the guy obsessed with Utah, who repeatedly posts to attempt to validate his belief that the teams are equal and the ball just bounces the wrong way. Most Y fans have moved on this week. You can't.

Some observations ... Utah struggled to beat a offensively inept football team, and that is demonstrative of a massive gap existing between the two programs? The only real gap that exists, is Utah, despite copious mistakes and coaching brain farts expects to win, BYU, simply does not.

While I do think your offensive coordinator is suspect, it's clear BYU's defense is stout, and that in large part explains Ute ineptitude in the Red Zone. However, the two issues would have me worried for the rest of the season, were I a rabid Ute fan.

For the third year in a row, you barely to beat your rival and the only real highlight you are gushing about is your kicker making a shoe string tackle on a kick return ...

lol ...
    - last year Utah gave you 6 turnovers with future NFL offensive players Taysom and Jamal and you still couldn't pull it out.

- this year, 11 Utah penalties killed scores and drives which is to be expected since Utah only had 2 offensive starters returning from last years team, a new QB playing his first game as a starter on the road, and a brand new OC.

- I agree with Gordon Monson:

If the Cougars couldn’t beat Utah this time, on their home field, in front of their own fans, with a more veteran quarterback and a quality defense, when the Utes were still breaking in a raw QB, a new offense, a new offensive coordinator, a new offensive line, a new defensive secondary, then … when would they?

says the guy obsessed with Utah, who repeatedly posts to attempt to validate his belief that the teams are equal and the ball just bounces the wrong way. Most Y fans have moved on this week. You can't.
    Been crazy busy and haven't yet had a chance to comment ... taking the opportunity to do that now. To be clear, I never said the teams were equal—there is a gap, in culture, and conference affiliation. That's been the difference, save last season when a better play call on the two point conversion was merited.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    - last year Utah gave you 6 turnovers with future NFL offensive players Taysom and Jamal and you still couldn't pull it out.

- this year, 11 Utah penalties killed scores and drives which is to be expected since Utah only had 2 offensive starters returning from last years team, a new QB playing his first game as a starter on the road, and a brand new OC.

- I agree with Gordon Monson:

If the Cougars couldn’t beat Utah this time, on their home field, in front of their own fans, with a more veteran quarterback and a quality defense, when the Utes were still breaking in a raw QB, a new offense, a new offensive coordinator, a new offensive line, a new defensive secondary, then … when would they?

So, wait ... this week ya'll like Monson as a writer, but last week ... ? And I get it: Utah nearly beat themselves ... lol ... but Sancho says there is no ineptitude the Ute side of the ball:

So, wait ... this week ya'll like Monson as a writer, but last week ... ? And I get it: Utah nearly beat themselves ... lol ... but Sancho says there is no ineptitude the Ute side of the ball:
    you spin more than a pinwheel in a hurricane

you should stick to talking about TV trucks and stuff

you spin more than a pinwheel in a hurricane

you should stick to talking about TV trucks and stuff
    I ain't the one spinning here:

"When you ride in a boat and watch the shore, you might assume that the shore is moving. But when you keep your eyes closely on the boat, you can see that the boat moves. Similarly, if you examine myriad things with a confused body and mind you suppose that your mind and nature are permanent. When you practice intimately and return to where you are, it will be clear that nothing at all has unchanging self" —Buddhist Master Dogen
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-13-2017 at 10:45 AM.

lol ...
    You're diluting your brand again. We want more from you about our TV deal!

--Yeats

I ain't the one spinning here:

"When you ride in a boat and watch the shore, you might assume that the shore is moving. But when you keep your eyes closely on the boat, you can see that the boat moves. Similarly, if you examine myriad things with a confused body and mind you suppose that your mind and nature are permanent. When you practice intimately and return to where you are, it will be clear that nothing at all has unchanging self" —Buddhist Master Dogen
    next year Utah's streak will be old enough to be baptized

#talentgap
    Last edited by Scorcho; 09-13-2017 at 10:52 AM.

You're diluting your brand again. We want more from you about our TV deal!
    My brand is truth

My brand is truth
    You are like the guy with doubts bearing his testimony to convince himself and his family.

next year Utah's streak will be old enough to be baptized

#talentgap
    It's already there (they last beat Utah in 2009!).

lol

That's convenient. Why didn't you mention Tyler Huntley in your analysis of the game? Is it because the pain is too great right now to admit that we have passed you up in every way? Even at the QB spot. Huntley was the difference.