Thread: Equifax hack PSA

Equifax hack PSA

If you haven't already, you should check to see if you were impacted.

If you Google "Equifax hacked" you'll see that site reported in several outlets, so it is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    If you haven't already, you should check to see if you were impacted.

If you Google "Equifax hacked" you'll see that site reported in several outlets, so it is legit.
    May want to wait, word came out today that checking to see if you were impacted means you waive your right to sue them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    May want to wait, word came out today that checking to see if you were impacted means you waive your right to sue them.

How could that even hold up in court? Edit: that link appears to be part of a phishing scheme though.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 09-08-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Equifax hack PSA

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    How could that even hold up in court? Edit: that link appears to be part of a phishing scheme though.
    They've put an arbitration clause in the terms of service

The link has been verified by multiple credible sources as being legit.

They've put an arbitration clause in the terms of service

The link has been verified by multiple credible sources as being legit.

I'm no lawyer, but the binding arbitration clause in their terms of use that is currently on their site currently states in the first clause that it applies to the registering or purchasing their products and services. Plus there is no actual verification on that form that the individual is the one doing the verification, so I doubt that counts as registering or purchasing their product or even acceptance of the agreement. In other words I don't think submitting an inquiry on their site would prohibit you from participating in a class-action lawsuit, and it almost certainly wouldn't hold up in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but the binding arbitration clause in their terms of use that is currently on their site currently states in the first clause that it applies to the registering or purchasing their products and services. Plus there is no actual verification on that form that the individual is the one doing the verification, so I doubt that counts as registering or purchasing their product or even acceptance of the agreement. In other words I don't think submitting an inquiry on their site would prohibit you from participating in a class-action lawsuit, and it almost certainly wouldn't hold up in court.
    And many others agree with you, yet after saying the clause is unenforceable the NY Attorney General still said it needs to be removed. And a former NJ Deputy AG says entering information may bind you to one of the two clauses, and if you accept the credit monitoring you're almost certainly bound.

Beyond all that, people are reporting you can enter obviously bogus information and have it tell you your info was breached, so it seems pointless to check.

And many others agree with you, yet after saying the clause is unenforceable the NY Attorney General still said it needs to be removed. And a former NJ Deputy AG says entering information may bind you to one of the two clauses, and if you accept the credit monitoring you're almost certainly bound.

Beyond all that, people are reporting you can enter obviously bogus information and have it tell you your info was breached, so it seems pointless to check.

I found their code:

function amIHacked(user, ssn) {
    if(Math.random() > .5) {
    return true;
    } else {
    return false;
    }
    }

Yeah, this is interesting.

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/st...47688768905216

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post