Thread: If a Tree Falls in Rice Eccles Stadium - Utah vs. Stanford 10/7/17

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Diehard, Uteopia, Socal - and anyone else with more football knowledge than me,
    The tight end issue is driving me nuts. Can not being well for camp still be affecting using them? Is it quarterbacks who simply have their preferences and may not be very good looking at the short and intermediate middle routes normally reserved for tight ends? Is it Taylor's offense emphasizing boundary to boundary reads which basically eliminates one side of the field because the quarterback is looking left to right or right to left and taught to get the ball out quick?

We have tight ends in Handley and Siale who could basically "post-up" a linebacker or safety in the middle of the field and I just don't see those kinds of routes. It seems to me that the two passing priorities this offense should do is look for Carrington (nice adjustments in the second half Saturday to do that) and throw to the tight ends given their size and Handley's pass-catching ability.

I don't get it.
    It is hard to do everything. I did see both Handley and Siale each involved in a couple of pass plays against Stanford. The one I watched from the start was a seam route to Handley that was well covered. I would guess that Taylor believes that his small quick guys are better matches against LBs. We ran more trips with a single receiver opposite against Stanford to make them make a choice. Either cover the single receiver man and have 4 covering 3 on the trips side or double the single side and play 3 v 3 on trips. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Based on what we have seen so far, I wouldn't expect us to recruit many quality TEs

Thanks Uteopia - I get caught up watching the ball so much on offense that I really haven't noticed what we're doing and personnel groups.