Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If a Tree Falls in Rice Eccles Stadium - Utah vs. Stanford 10/7/17

I hate our snapper/center. How can he be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Nepotism. Just kidding. I think Alex Whittingham was replaced. I didn't catch who was doing long snapping today.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think it’s Kyle’s son?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Red zone issues again. 1st and goal on the 2, and we end up with a field goal.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

How is it we can’t punch it in from the 2?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Nepotism. Just kidding. I think Alex Whittingham was replaced. I didn't catch who was doing long snapping today.
    Alex snapped the last field goal....which was way low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re seeing why Huntley was the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    We’re seeing why Huntley was the guy

We would be winning if Huntley were playing

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Until that last run

Not enough offense to win now, I fear.....

Why did we go away from the run on that last series?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Not enough offense to win now, I fear.....

Why did we go away from the run on that last series?
    I’m just hoping it doesn’t get worse now.

--Yeats

If a Tree Falls in Rice Eccles Stadium - Utah vs. Stanford 10/7/17

Hey, with the 5-yard penalty we avoid the red zone. Let’s see if we can score from outside the red zone.

--Yeats

I honestly think I’d rather see Cooper Bateman right now.

Yeah....if Huntley can’t go we need to try someone else.

I think the components of the team that let us down tonight are first, the offensive line, and second, poor quarterback play.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the components of the team that let us down tonight are first, the offensive line, and second, poor quarterback play.
    And poor special teams play. We handed them 3 points on the bad punt snap. Kyle needs to be asked why family continues to underperform at such a crucial position.

Scalley's reckless blitzing handed Stanford its first TD. And I don't know what Marquise Blair was doing on the Love TD.

The defense, good as it was, never created a turnover.

You lose by 3, at home, everyone in the entire program shares blame equally.

If the Offense and Troy continue to play the way they did this game, I see maybe 2or 3 more wins on our schedule. ASU and Colorado feel winnable. At Oregon and UCLA are toss-ups. I don't see us winning any of the others unless we can find some way to improve offensively, or get more contribution in turnovers and scoring from the defense/special teams.

Our special teams struggles are bizarre. All of our problems are around snapping the ball. The amazing extra point at the end wasn't a bad snap per se, but I wonder if the holder is a affected by being nervous wondering where the snap is going to end up.

I agree. Troy had no time to throw. I feel like we should have run the ball more than we did. I hated the decision to throw on 3rd and goal, knowing that Troy wouldn't have time to make anything happen. Really hurt to settle for a FG on our best drive of the game.

We didn't get pressure on their QB at all. Maybe that's because we were focused on stopping the run. Even when we blitzed, though, we didn't get close.

It's crazy to me that we only lost by 3. The offense was so bad. Stop Love on the one run, and there may be a different outcome. I don't think this Stanford team is very good.

The last few series are a reminder that you have to play smart, even when things seem desperate. Those were desperation interceptions, and we would kill to have those throws back.

I hope the geniuses who were ejected for targeting watch their defense give up 30 points in the first half next week. Those were textbook examples of why we have that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    And poor special teams play. We handed them 3 points on the bad punt snap. Kyle needs to be asked why family continues to underperform at such a crucial position.

Scalley's reckless blitzing handed Stanford its first TD. And I don't know what Marquise Blair was doing on the Love TD.
    On the special teams snaps...ugh. All season long. How can we not get this fixed?

When your blitz fails to reach the QB, you have to stop blitzing! I think Scalley was mixing up differnt blitzes, trying to find one that would work. I mean, it makes sense to try it. Stanford's QBs have been their weakness all season. On a clear passing down, make the QB panic. But you have to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

The defense, good as it was, never created a turnover.

You lose by 3, at home, everyone in the entire program shares blame equally.
    Excellent points. I wondered why Scalley kept blitzing on 3rd and long when it became clear they were burning us on blitzes. On 2-3 third downs we almost got to the Stanford QB but he still completed a nice pass for a first down. And I too was surprised that the D couldn't manage a TO. Maybe Stanford just played too smart.

The O-line simply needed to allow us to punch it in on 2nd and goal from the 2, and they needed to give Williams some time to throw in the second half. He was running for his life too much. And poor Troy is too experienced to make the horrible decisions he made at times when we desperately needed someone to make a play.

--Yeats

And I too was surprised that the D couldn't manage a TO.
    You can't plan on TOs. Fumbles are mostly luck. Interceptions will happen when you pressure a QB, which we didn't do at all.

From Wilner:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/0...-in-the-north/

Meanwhile, Utah’s Troy Williams played like a rookie making an emergency start, not a senior taking over the team he led one year ago.Williams forced passes, missed open receivers and generally looked out of sorts against Stanford. He undoubtedly made Utah fans miss Tyler Huntley all the more.
    Then again, I place some of the fault for Utah’s performance (a 23-20 loss to Stanford) on the playcalling.
    The Utes’ running backs averaged 6.1 yards per carry against a mediocre Stanford run defense. Why attempt only 22 running plays and have Williams throw 39 passes?
    Should have been the other way around.
    Our fan base would have killed ARod for this. Plus, even though we could not stop their pass rush, we regularly went with an empty backfield and no TEs.

Wilner is right on as to the play-calling. I'm not going to go BYU on Troy Taylor and declare our relatively inexperienced offensive coordinator a bust but we're seeing some growing pains, aren't we?

I'm particularly disappointed that the tight end simply is lost to Coach Taylor - especially routes in the middle of the field - shallow and middle seam routes. Harry Handley is 6'5" and 250 pounds - and he can run. We have our own Dalton Schultz and we're not using him. He was injured during training camp but he's been healthy all season. I don't get it. I suppose some of this is on the quarterbacks - I don't know that either Huntley or Williams sees the middle of the field well. On the other hand, Taylor's offense seems to be very boundary-oriented. The quarterbacks seem to be starting their progressions most of the time to the far right or far left and moving methodically across the field. Of course, tonight, Williams had about "one Mississippi" before needing to scramble.

If a Tree Falls in Rice Eccles Stadium - Utah vs. Stanford 10/7/17

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-08-2017 at 06:38 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You can't plan on TOs. Fumbles are mostly luck. Interceptions will happen when you pressure a QB, which we didn't do at all.
    KW said the big difference in the game was the -2 turnover margin, that the stats were otherwise pretty even. That’s not to blame Troy Williams 100%. It points to poor pressure on Stanford’s QB. Fumbles aren’t always about luck; they’re often forced. Stanford just took good care of the ball. So did our runners.

--Yeats

I have to admit I'm not enthused about going to the Coliseum next Saturday if I have to watch last night's Williams against USC. I'll go, but not looking forward to that aspect of the game.

--Yeats

Fumbles aren’t always about luck; they’re often forced. Stanford just took good care of the ball. So did our runners.
    I think forced fumbles are mostly a matter of luck too. Everyone ball carrier is trying to hold onto the ball, and every defender is trying to jar it loose. A helmet hits the ball just right, and a fumble happens. Sometimes carelessness plays a role, but it's not something you can plan on.

Statistically a very even game except for TOs:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400935291

--Yeats

Statistically a very even game except for TOs:
    And the most important TO doesnt show up in the stats--the botched snap and punt.

Q for everyone: we were debating the chicken and the egg question throughout--does Williams hold the ball too long, not make is reads correctly, thus allowing the pass rush to collapse on him, or does the o line not give him time to go through those progressions, or both. Does he have happy feet or is he running for his life?

Huntley seems to make decisions and get the ball out much faster. That, and his ability to evade the rush and run against a mediocre run defense at best, is why we all thought we would have won with him. (Kylie Fitts and Anae would have helped big time too.)
    Last edited by concerned; 10-08-2017 at 08:56 AM.