Thread: LDS General Conference, October 2017

LDS General Conference, October 2017

Can't say I disagree with anything here......

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local...ons-of-racism/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

So, basically, more of what's been preached recently plus a two hour block. Sounds good to me. Or three hour. That one doesn't matter as much to me as the others.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-27-2017 at 01:38 PM.

all in favor say aye

aye!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, basically, more of what's been preached recently plus a two hour block. Sounds good to me.......

Yessir. Of course if you want to make this an epic session, we could reverse the latest policy on children of gay parents, and, if we want to get really crazy, give all worthy members the priesthood. Yes??

But, I'm sure it'll be great regardless.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

We attended sacrament meeting in Jackson, WY a few weeks ago, and a member of the 1st quorum of the 70 was there. Someone asked him directly about Thomas Monson's condition, and he said he is very weak suffering from the effects of age. He is basically homebound, and goes into the office maybe one day a week at the most.

I wouldn't expect any big revelations or changes in policy or doctrine while the prophet is essentially an invalid.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The usual outstanding talk by Pres. Uchtdorf.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The usual outstanding talk by Pres. Uchtdorf.
    Elder Holland never disappoints, so good

The way Elder Oaks gives his talks, its as if he's never had a wayward child or faced a personal spiritual battle of any kind. Lacks empathy and almost impossible to relate to. What a disappointing, unnecessary talk. Can we stop obsessing over being gay or not?

Gratefully, we know that Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf will always more than make up for it. Wonderful, uplifting talks.

The way Elder Oaks gives his talks, its as if he's never had a wayward child or faced a personal spiritual battle of any kind. Lacks empathy and almost impossible to relate to. What a disappointing, unnecessary talk. Can we stop obsessing over being gay or not?

Gratefully, we know that Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf will always more than make up for it. Wonderful, uplifting talks.
    He is a hateful human being.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    He is a hateful human being.

With all due respect, that’s a ridiculous statement.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    With all due respect, that’s a ridiculous statement.
    With all due respect, I have too many friends in the LGBTQ community to believe anything else.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Different people relate and respond to different speakers in different ways. For me, variety is the spice of life. Go back through Elder Oaks' greatest hits, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of uplifting messages.

As for today, I didn't mind hearing about the origin of the family proclamation.

Elder Hales passed away.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

There are speakers who are always motivating (Ucfhtdorf, Eyring and Holland), those who seem to me to be always preachy (Oaks, Christofferson and Bednar), those who seem to ramble with a lot of little "inspirational stories) that for me, fall short (Nelson) and a bunch who I have not heard enough from. I'm confident that others react differently than I do.

I recall being unimpressed with Wirthlin when he was first called to the twelve. Over the years, though, I came to appreciate him more and more. When he started telling Utah football stories, that helped.

I always loved the content of Scott's talks, but the delivery usually left something to be desired.

Sometimes we focus too much on style and miss the substance.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I recall being unimpressed with Wirthlin when he was first called to the twelve. Over the years, though, I came to appreciate him more and more. When he started telling Utah football stories, that helped.

I always loved the content of Scott's talks, but the delivery usually left something to be desired.

Sometimes we focus too much on style and miss the substance.
    The written version of Elder Wirthlin’s talks always revealed the depth of his insights, which were often hard to pick up from his oral presentation of them. I’ve used him a lot for lessons and talks.

--Yeats

the LDS church's top leadership, said the church will be “simplifying” its semiannual general conference sessions by alternating the women’s and priesthood sessions, now holding them each annually.
    wait what? can we switch with the women so we don't have to miss Utah in the Final Four in April

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46187943&ni...sions-annually

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    wait what? can we switch with the women so we don't have to miss Utah in the Final Four in April

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46187943&ni...sions-annually
    I heard they did this for Tom Holmoe, so he wouldn't have to schedule those Friday night games against USU every year.