Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troy and Troy march into Troy: Utah @USC 2017

Williams throws a nice long ball but runs like a ninny

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Marquise Blair. Wow.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Great half. USC can score in a hurry, though.

Moss playing like a man possessed!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Besides moss i wish our guys could follow where the hole was or where to run.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Need something to turn things around, get some momentum back. It’s been all USC in the 2nd half.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I love watching Blair play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I missed everything until the 9 minute mark of the 4th quarter. So I made
    it in time to watch USC shove it right down our throat. Awesome. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

Why go for 2?

Why go for 2 with our QB under center for the first time in how long?

I like the call to go for 2. Our offense could not be counted on to score from the 25 in overtime. In the end Troy’s apparent inability to look downfield when he leaves the pocket cost us big time. I don’t blame the kid. It’s just not in his DNA to to that. Carrington was all alone in the back of the end zone. Troy could have been the hero and made USC look like fools.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I like the call to go for 2. Our offense could not be counted on to score from the 25 in overtime. In the end Troy’s apparent inability to look downfield when he leaves the pocket cost us big time. I don’t blame the kid. It’s just not in his DNA to to that. Carrington was all alone in the back of the end zone. Troy could have been the hero and made USC look like fools.
    I don't understand going for 2. The most defining stat of the season for this team is our inability to score in the red zone. Take the overtime. I thought for sure we would send the kicker out after the time out. Dang.

I like the chance of OT more than the chance of the 2 point converstion. We have a good kicker, which matters a lot in college OT. Plus, Darnold throws picks.

Fun game. Disappointing finish. Our inability to stop USC on third and long is what cost us the game. They converted over and over again, including on the play of the game from Darnold.

Great to see Moss play so well.

Frustrating to not be able to get the D off the field on multiple occasions in the second half.

I don’t mind the call to go for 2. Poorly executed.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Frustrating to not be able to get the D off the field on multiple occasions in the second half.

I don’t mind the call to go for 2. Poorly executed.
    I wouldn't mind it under other circumstances, but we don't have a good track record from the 2 yard line this season. Just take the OT, and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I wouldn't mind it under other circumstances, but we don't have a good track record from the 2 yard line this season. Just take the OT, and see what happens.
    Yeah. Tough call. Our red zone offense isn’t great. USCs o line was dominating our front 7 over the 4 th quarter. And we have a qb who can’t keep his eyes upfield when he is forced to scramble.

USC had 3 long TD drives in the 2nd half, each involving multiple 3rd and long conversions. One was a 4th and 9. One was a 3rd and 10 with their back against the end zone. Whenever they needed a play, they made it look easy.

I think SC could be a very good team if they had a better coaching staff.

I don't understand going for 2. The most defining stat of the season for this team is our inability to score in the red zone. Take the overtime. I thought for sure we would send the kicker out after the time out. Dang.
    Here are the things Kyle might have been thinking about: Home team wins in overtime something like 80% of the time. We were unable to stop USC’s offense the entire 2nd half. Our D had been on the field almost the entire half and was obviously gassed. Our team has Red Zone Anxiety and becomes the Keystone Kops when there.

If Troy looks up and flips the ball to Carrington he’s a hero and Kyle’s a gutsy genius.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-14-2017 at 10:06 PM.

--Yeats

USC had 3 long TD drives in the 2nd half, each involving multiple 3rd and long conversions. One was a 4th and 9. One was a 3rd and 10 with their back against the end zone. Whenever they needed a play, they made it look easy.
    This is why I don't mind the call to go for 2. Our defense isn't going to stop USC in Overtime. Our offense is going to have to get in the end zone one way or the other. Better to try for it from the 3 for the win that from the 25 for a another tie.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

How bout that play call on 4th and 1? First pass to a TE in forever. Loved it.

How about the refs? Borderline incompetence on a handful of spots and other plays (delay of game!), but they sure are excellent at noticing when a lineman goes more than 5 yards downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    This is why I don't mind the call to go for 2. Our defense isn't going to stop USC in Overtime. Our offense is going to have to get in the end zone one way or the other. Better to try for it from the 3 for the win that from the 25 for a another tie.
    That being said, I sure didn't expect us to go for 2. I told my dad that we trotted out the offense to make USC burn their last time out. Then I thought for sure we would have some more defined type of scoring play drawn up instead of just having Troy roll-right.

I don't think we had much to think about. Our defense was spent halfway thru the 4q, and were giving up 15 yard chunks up the gut with every handoff. I also don't mind the call, but dang, Carringron was leisurely jogging along the back of the end zone -- why wasn't he jumping up and down waving his arms in the off chance Williams might spot him? Frustrating game from Carrington.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Our success in this game came in large part from USC mistakes. I felt happy about hoping for another SC mistake in OT. We got them to 3rd down situations all half long - I'd have loved to give the D another shot.

I feel like our odds on that 2 point conversion, based on what we've seen this season, are about 15-20%. I think our OT odds are closer to 30-40%.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I don't think we had much to think about. Our defense was spent halfway thru the 4q, and were giving up 15 yard chunks up the gut with every handoff. I also don't mind the call, but dang, Carringron was leisurely jogging along the back of the end zone -- why wasn't he jumping up and down waving his arms in the off chance Williams might spot him? Frustrating game from Carrington.
    If Troy just looks up and sets his feet he has plenty of time to throw. Plenty of guys blocking in the backfield. He just panicked.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Our defense was spent halfway thru the 4q, and were giving up 15 yard chunks up the gut with every handoff.
    This seems to be the main argument for going for two. But remember, they were gassed too. OT is a crazy thing, and you never know what will happen. Utah from the 2 yard line is statistically a very unlikely conversion this year.

That being said, I sure didn't expect us to go for 2. I told my dad that we trotted out the offense to make USC burn their last time out.
    That's what I thought too! I thought we were being smart/calculating. Instead, I think we made a decision based on emotion.

Claim: ineligible receiver downfield is the worst rule in football. 100% of the time it is called, it is called for something completely inconsequential to the play.

Also, we win this game if Gay hits that gimmie in the first half.

This seems to be the main argument for going for two. But remember, they were gassed too. OT is a crazy thing, and you never know what will happen. Utah from the 2 yard line is statistically a very unlikely conversion this year.
    USC's offense didn't look very gassed on their last 2 drives. I guess us letting them run willy-nilly might have worn them out some.

USC's offense didn't look very gassed on their last 2 drives. I guess us letting them run willy-nilly might have worn them out some.
    No, both defenses were spent, though.

Ugh, that 3rd and 10 scramble from Darnold. That's that game.

Here are the things Kyle might have been thinking about: Home team wins in overtime something like 80% of the time.
    I don’t know where you got that number, the only data I could find was 56% for the Home team.