Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy and Troy march into Troy: Utah @USC 2017

Hybrid View

Troy and Troy march into Troy: Utah @USC 2017

No word on Huntley, so I'm assuming Williams will be starting.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    No word on Huntley, so I'm assuming Williams will be starting.
    Even if Tyler is ready they’re not going to tell anyone.

Just like they won’t say a word if Bateman beats out Troy. And with practice entirely closed, we’re not going to hear even rumors as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Even if Tyler is ready they’re not going to tell anyone.

Just like they won’t say a word if Bateman beats out Troy. And with practice entirely closed, we’re not going to hear even rumors as much.
    It's exciting! We beat those 5 star pretty boys last year by out-toughing them. Gotta do the same on Sat. Song girl tears are the sweetest!

I feel alright about the game. I know it's a longshot, but we've always matched up decently with USC. They need to run to be successful, and we have a good run defense. Darnold can make amazing throws, but he also makes bad decisions and throws picks. If we get a couple of those and capitalize on them?

This is clearly the best defense we've seen so far. I think they will force Troy to beat them with his arm and head. There will be a lot of pressure until he proves he can make them pay.

let's see, USC crushed Stanford and Stanford whipped us, this should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

plus the last two times we stunk it up it in the Coliseum, greatly underperforming on offense when we all had high hopes and expectations and USC was vulnerable. Two years ago we were coming off the 63 points against Oregon and Travis threw 4 picks (IIRC). In 2013, we could barely get the ball across midfield. We are generally pathetic down there.

We have no chance if LA Ute shows up.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-11-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    We have no chance if LA Ute shows up.
    I thought about not going, honestly, but I’m going to be selfish and attend the game. It will be my fourth visit to the Colosseum since we joined the conference. So far I am oh for the decade.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hey, after 3 quarters USC was ahead of Stanford only 28-17. Brady Poppinga would call that a win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Wilner sees us in the Sun Bowl, as far as mid-level bowls go, this isn't a bad one IMO

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/1...new-years-six/

Wilner sees us in the Sun Bowl, as far as mid-level bowls go, this isn't a bad one IMO

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/1...new-years-six/

I saw a projection somewhere that had us matched against UVA in the Sun. That would be fun. Can you imagine the meltdown in Provo if Bronco beat Whit as a wahoo?

I saw a projection somewhere that had us matched against UVA in the Sun. That would be fun. Can you imagine the meltdown in Provo if Bronco beat Whit as a wahoo?
    Honest to goodness, I could accept a close loss to UVA on a miracle play or garbage call late just to see the reaction from BYU fans over that. Goodness knows that's the only way a Bronco-coached team has ever beaten us.

haven't they dusted their wooden clogging dance shoes on Bronco? That would be a fun matchup

haven't they dusted their wooden clogging dance shoes on Bronco?

Actually, I think the more intelligent BYU fans miss Bronco. I miss him. He was the Energizer Bunny of goofy quotes.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Actually, I think the more intelligent BYU fans miss Bronco. I miss him. He was the Energizer Bunny of goofy quotes.
    And goofy faces.

I like the call to go for 2. Our offense could not be counted on to score from the 25 in overtime. In the end Troy’s apparent inability to look downfield when he leaves the pocket cost us big time. I don’t blame the kid. It’s just not in his DNA to to that. Carrington was all alone in the back of the end zone. Troy could have been the hero and made USC look like fools.

--Yeats

I like the call to go for 2. Our offense could not be counted on to score from the 25 in overtime. In the end Troy’s apparent inability to look downfield when he leaves the pocket cost us big time. I don’t blame the kid. It’s just not in his DNA to to that. Carrington was all alone in the back of the end zone. Troy could have been the hero and made USC look like fools.
    I don't understand going for 2. The most defining stat of the season for this team is our inability to score in the red zone. Take the overtime. I thought for sure we would send the kicker out after the time out. Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't understand going for 2. The most defining stat of the season for this team is our inability to score in the red zone. Take the overtime. I thought for sure we would send the kicker out after the time out. Dang.
    Here are the things Kyle might have been thinking about: Home team wins in overtime something like 80% of the time. We were unable to stop USC’s offense the entire 2nd half. Our D had been on the field almost the entire half and was obviously gassed. Our team has Red Zone Anxiety and becomes the Keystone Kops when there.

If Troy looks up and flips the ball to Carrington he’s a hero and Kyle’s a gutsy genius.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-14-2017 at 10:06 PM.

--Yeats

Here are the things Kyle might have been thinking about: Home team wins in overtime something like 80% of the time.
    I don’t know where you got that number, the only data I could find was 56% for the Home team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the chance of OT more than the chance of the 2 point converstion. We have a good kicker, which matters a lot in college OT. Plus, Darnold throws picks.

Fun game. Disappointing finish. Our inability to stop USC on third and long is what cost us the game. They converted over and over again, including on the play of the game from Darnold.

Great to see Moss play so well.

Frustrating to not be able to get the D off the field on multiple occasions in the second half.

I don’t mind the call to go for 2. Poorly executed.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Frustrating to not be able to get the D off the field on multiple occasions in the second half.

I don’t mind the call to go for 2. Poorly executed.
    I wouldn't mind it under other circumstances, but we don't have a good track record from the 2 yard line this season. Just take the OT, and see what happens.

I don't think we had much to think about. Our defense was spent halfway thru the 4q, and were giving up 15 yard chunks up the gut with every handoff. I also don't mind the call, but dang, Carringron was leisurely jogging along the back of the end zone -- why wasn't he jumping up and down waving his arms in the off chance Williams might spot him? Frustrating game from Carrington.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I don't think we had much to think about. Our defense was spent halfway thru the 4q, and were giving up 15 yard chunks up the gut with every handoff. I also don't mind the call, but dang, Carringron was leisurely jogging along the back of the end zone -- why wasn't he jumping up and down waving his arms in the off chance Williams might spot him? Frustrating game from Carrington.
    If Troy just looks up and sets his feet he has plenty of time to throw. Plenty of guys blocking in the backfield. He just panicked.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Our defense was spent halfway thru the 4q, and were giving up 15 yard chunks up the gut with every handoff.
    This seems to be the main argument for going for two. But remember, they were gassed too. OT is a crazy thing, and you never know what will happen. Utah from the 2 yard line is statistically a very unlikely conversion this year.

This seems to be the main argument for going for two. But remember, they were gassed too. OT is a crazy thing, and you never know what will happen. Utah from the 2 yard line is statistically a very unlikely conversion this year.
    USC's offense didn't look very gassed on their last 2 drives. I guess us letting them run willy-nilly might have worn them out some.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Troy and Troy march into Troy: Utah @USC 2017

I would like to see some second down and short situations in this game. Would also be nice to simply get a first down on first down. I know that there is a lot that goes in to making such things happen, but I think we were in too many situations where it was third and short over and over again. Often we made a first down by an inch or two. Of course those first downs count, but that’s just emblematic of how hard it was for us to move the ball. I guess I hope the offense is a little bit more explosive this time. A lot of that depends on playcalling, and a lot depends on our offensive line, which I hope will get its act together better for this Saturday’s game.

--Yeats

I would like to see some second down and short situations in this game. Would also be nice to simply get a first down on first down. I know that there is a lot that goes in to making such things happen, but I think we were in too many situations where it was third and short over and over again. Often we made a first down by an inch or two. Of course those first downs count, but that’s just emblematic of how hard it was for us to move the ball. I guess I hope the offense is a little bit more explosive this time. A lot of that depends on playcalling, and a lot depends on our offensive line, which I hope will get its act together better for this Saturday’s game.
    Some UCLA fan tweeted last week "Without Huntley, this is the same Utah team we've seen for the past 6 years. With him, this is the best team in the south."

I think if we win, we win playing Kyle-ball. We need two TD drives (probably coming on big plays) and a few FGs (coming on turnovers). And then we need to milk clock and play defense.

Some UCLA fan tweeted last week "Without Huntley, this is the same Utah team we've seen for the past 6 years. With him, this is the best team in the south."

I think if we win, we win playing Kyle-ball. We need two TD drives (probably coming on big plays) and a few FGs (coming on turnovers). And then we need to milk clock and play defense.
    Hard to play Kyle ball unless our running backs really step up. If they replicate John White, Booker, or Joe W, then maybe.

I think you are probably right. To accomplish that with Kyle-ball, of course, everything will have to go right for us. No big turnovers by us (such as a pick six), only one big play given up to USC, our D will need to get some turnovers, and so forth. Almost no margin for error. I’m not as confident as you are that we will be able to get some big plays. I hope so, but we’ll see. Within a few minutes of the first quarter we will probably know which Troy Williams is showing up for this game. That will tell the tale, I think.

--Yeats

I’m not as confident as you are
    I'm not confident at all. I give us a 10-15% chance. All I'm saying is, if we win, I think it happens in that way.