Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bedeviling the Sun Devils 2017

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Against PAC-12 competition it’s not at all clear that Huntley is better than Williams. Maybe Tyler’s just rusty after being out for 3 games.
    Agree. It's easy to sit in the back seat and critique the driving, but it was clear right away to me that TH's arm strength was maybe 70% of his max.

Oregon got spanked by UCLA, so they'll be looking to turn things around against us, and if Huntley starts and his arm strength isn't significantly better, the UO safeties will be salivating at opportunities to pick off high school speed passes.

At least Williams won't be the one needing to be consoled and coached up, this week. Maybe he'll seize an opportunity. (Assuming there is one, which is a big assumption.)

Well, let’s get this one started. I hope the Utes come out this week angry and determined.
    It did not appear that they did either. Happy Birthday, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Thanks. I had a great birthday, except for one thing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

what the hell was that yesterday

have we essentially destroyed the confidence of both of our QB's now?

I think it is rather obvious that this is a rebuilding year -- new offense, new offensive line, not necessarily reloading on the defensive line, young QB who also got hurt, etc. I'm just looking for two more wins at this point.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

ARod, BJ, and the others got a ton of criticism from Utah fans over the years, but the games Troy Taylor has called vs Stanford and ASU are as bad as anything the earlier OCs served up. I think Taylor will be a good OC because I think he'll learn from his mistakes, but he hasn't been good. I think it's probably sinking in that he's not in the FCS anymore.

Yesterday, the Sun Devils ran all over us for an average of 4.5 ypc. What did we get on the ground? 4.4 ypc. Zach Moss had 12 carries in the game with 4 in the first half. He had 5 carries on our one good drive of the game to start the 3rd quarter.

Maybe I'm wrong to blame Taylor for the lack of carries, though. Were all those pass plays in the first quarter play action called passes or were they RPOs? Maybe Huntley is the problem because he doesn't ever give it to Moss on an RPO? One thing you can count on with Williams is to give the ball to the RB on any type of option play.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    ARod, BJ, and the others got a ton of criticism from Utah fans over the years, but the games Troy Taylor has called vs Stanford and ASU are as bad as anything the earlier OCs served up. I think Taylor will be a good OC because I think he'll learn from his mistakes, but he hasn't been good. I think it's probably sinking in that he's not in the FCS anymore.

Yesterday, the Sun Devils ran all over us for an average of 4.5 ypc. What did we get on the ground? 4.4 ypc. Zach Moss had 12 carries in the game with 4 in the first half. He had 5 carries on our one good drive of the game to start the 3rd quarter.

Maybe I'm wrong to blame Taylor for the lack of carries, though. Were all those pass plays in the first quarter play action called passes or were they RPOs? Maybe Huntley is the problem because he doesn't ever give it to Moss on an RPO? One thing you can count on with Williams is to give the ball to the RB on any type of option play.
    They looked like RPO--where he made the wrong decision.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I think it is rather obvious that this is a rebuilding year -- new offense, new offensive line, not necessarily reloading on the defensive line, young QB who also got hurt, etc. I'm just looking for two more wins at this point.
    This is probably the reality that we convinced ourselves might not be the reality. At least I did.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This is probably the reality that we convinced ourselves might not be the reality. At least I did.
    This is an important lesson. We are not above having a losing season, in any year. Shoot, Oregon had one two seasons removed from playing for the national championship.

This. Troy Taylor has not impressed me much.

Pac-12 (conference only) - % of drives end in TD 1. Arizona 41.7 2. Stanford 37.9 3. UW 34.8 10. ASU 20.0 11. OSU 17.4 12. Utah 16.7

Pac-12 (conference only) - points per drive 1. Arizona 3.21 2. Stanford 3.12 3. USC 2.62 10. OSU 1.54 11. Oregon 1.54 12. Utah 1.52

Total QBR 1. Herbert 83.3 2. Browning 74.4 3. Darnold 70.1 4. Wilkins 67.2 5. Rosen 66.9 6. Dawkins 59.4 7. Falk 57.8 8. Montez 54.8

Stats from Kyle Bonagura

Welp, I must admit, I completely whiffed on this one.

I predicted a 41-20 score in favor of the Utes, and I even tweeted to Bill Reilly that I had no concerns heading into this game.

Despite the performance against Washington, I thought we would see the ASU team that got pushed to the edge by NMSU...because winning on the road in the Pac 12 is hard, especially for teams that are not very good, and I put ASU in that category.

As for the game itself, which I witnessed in person, woof. Not sure where to begin. Some have said it was our worst performance since UNLV 2007. I think it certainly ranks up there, though in terms of games we shouldn't have lost, I'd still throw in the Colorado game the first year we were in the league as just an absolute total heart breaker. We can at least recover from this, if the players and coaches so choose.

Our coaching staff seemed to approach this one similarly to how they approached the rivalry game. Very scared to turn the ball over or make any kind of mistakes. ASU came into the game with the perfect and non-sophisticated game plan of: We're going to make you throw to beat us. Where they got 5-7 yards a pop on a number of their screens, we seemed to get 1-3 yards. Is that the WR? Is that where the QB places the ball? The blocking? The defense? The effort? I don't know, but whatever they did worked and whatever we did, did not. They also loaded up on Moss, and rather than say "We think he's still good enough to beat you," like they did with their RBs, we completely conceded the running game in the first half, and most of the second (because we were at that point behind three scores).

There were other things as well, but man, what a bad, bad performance.

Also, neither targeting call seemed all that legit, but whatever, that concerns me more for the upcoming game against Oregon then it did at the time.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I prefer a ball control offense over a gimmicky one. Can this offense work in the PAC? I have my doubts. I know I'm the only Ute fan who didn't blame Roderick and I'm starting to see it even more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    I prefer a ball control offense over a gimmicky one. Can this offense work in the PAC? I have my doubts. I know I'm the only Ute fan who didn't blame Roderick and I'm starting to see it even more now.
    The only OC I wanted gone was Christensen, but I generally favor continuity over freshness.

The only OC I wanted gone was Christensen, but I generally favor continuity over freshness.
    Wanna bet Dave was the only one who would stand up to Kyle? He had earned his chops. Not sure any other OC we've had could've done likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Wanna bet Dave was the only one who would stand up to Kyle? He had earned his chops. Not sure any other OC we've had could've done likewise.
    I never had big issues with Dave's play calling. I only wanted him gone because everyone online kept telling me everyone on the team and coaching staff hated him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    There are plenty of successful "gimmicky" offenses in the Pac-12 and in other P5 conferences.

I'm sorry to have missed your birthday LA. As a show of what your friendship means to me, I'd be happy to send you two tickets to the BYU SJSU game this week.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I'm sorry to have missed your birthday LA. As a show of what your friendship means to me, I'd be happy to send you two tickets to the BYU SJSU game this week.
    Thanks so much. I'll be traveling this weekend. Will you please donate those tix to Seattle Ute?

--Yeats

I never had big issues with Dave's play calling. I only wanted him gone because everyone online kept telling me everyone on the team and coaching staff hated him.
    I think we need to take the alleged complaints from the coaching staff with a grain of salt, seeing the brother of the HC is also on staff.

I think we need to take the alleged complaints from the coaching staff with a grain of salt, seeing the brother of the HC is also on staff.
    I don't think so. He is a world class dick.

Are you speaking of KW’s brother?

--Yeats

I think he means Dave Christensen.

I don't think positive personality traits rate very high among Ute fans under the category of "What I'd Like to See in an Offensive Coordinator"

I had forgotten that Dave was on ASU's staff in some capacity until I saw him talking to some folks down on the field. I'm probably reading too much into it, considering they came to Utah together, but he seemed to try to be joking with Jim Harding and Harding didn't totally seem amused.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I don't think positive personality traits rate very high among Ute fans under the category of "What I'd Like to See in an Offensive Coordinator"
    Why are you doing this? I thought getting rid of Christensen was the one thing Utah fans agreed on.

If the Utah basketball team is better off without a problem personality in a player, certainly the football team is better off without a coach no one can get along with.