Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 75

Thread: Utah vs. Oregon 2017

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My guess is that most of them are a bit younger,
    I think there is also a twitter effect than causes fans of all teams to overreact and whine.

  2. #32
    I agree on the Twitter and Facebook effect. It is just silly, emotional overreacting. Ironically, Reddit is surprisingly civil and measured.

    But I don't like the sense of entitlement that many Ute fans bring to the conversation. I don't mind complaining about our weaknesses. I just greatly dislike when that complaining includes statements about how 'awful' our opponent was, how we 'deserved' to win, how we 'couldn't beat the worst run defense in the league', etc. Every other team in our league is competing at a high level. Every other team is balancing their talent, motivation, and execution and can improve or retreat week to week. We can accept that this is a down year for us without tearing down our opponents in the process.

    Our decades-long incestuous relationship with byu has caused their worst traits to transfer to us, and it really makes us all look petty and inhospitable to other PAC-12 fanbases. I would like to think we are better than that.

  3. #33
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I agree on the Twitter and Facebook effect. It is just silly, emotional overreacting. Ironically, Reddit is surprisingly civil and measured.

    But I don't like the sense of entitlement that many Ute fans bring to the conversation. I don't mind complaining about our weaknesses. I just greatly dislike when that complaining includes statements about how 'awful' our opponent was, how we 'deserved' to win, how we 'couldn't beat the worst run defense in the league', etc. Every other team in our league is competing at a high level. Every other team is balancing their talent, motivation, and execution and can improve or retreat week to week. We can accept that this is a down year for us without tearing down our opponents in the process.

    Our decades-long incestuous relationship with byu has caused their worst traits to transfer to us, and it really makes us all look petty and inhospitable to other PAC-12 fanbases. I would like to think we are better than that.
    Agreed. The games we have lost, we lost because we were outplayed, plain and simple. It is the job of our players and coaches to remedy that.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Our decades-long incestuous relationship with byu has caused their worst traits to transfer to us, and it really makes us all look petty and inhospitable to other PAC-12 fanbases. I would like to think we are better than that.
    I'm not certain our behavior differs much from that of other fan bases. I could be wrong. I don't see ASU/USC/Wazzu/etc twitter.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Several members of our community here consider these to be pretty heretical statements.
    I am certainly not calling for Whit to be fired. It was obvious the past few years that in order to take the biggest step from a competitive, hard-nosed, physical team, to a favorite to win the South, the pass game had to be more effective. It was obvious to everyone. ARod and I talked about it a lot. He believed, and I agreed, that in addition to the limitations of Travis Wilson, which he acknowledged and tried to coach around because we did not have anyone else, we did not have the playmakers at WR to be significantly better than we were. Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case. Wilson and Nacua may turn into those types of playmakers and the freshmen we have not seen may as well, but I think it is clear that Singleton will always be the No. 2 or 3 receiver.

    I guess the point of all of this is that instead of building on what we had, a power run game and an offensive identity, Whit blew it all up to start over with the total opposite offensive style. Not only a totally different offensive style, but an offensive style headed by a guy with one year coaching experience in the last 15 years at an FBS school. I know my friendship with ARod makes me biased, but I was skeptical at the hire and mad at the firings (yes, Ericksen was fired - I know some don't believe it, but he was) from the get-go. I became hopeful that it would work, not because I believed it would work immediately, but because I am a Ute fan. I'm still skeptical and hopeful.

    Whit has made his offensive bed. It is critical that he not be talked into going into a new direction. I'm guessing his brother at Timpview doesn't get hired as a coach at Utah and doesn't have a guy coaching up his son at the high school level that is an offensive wizard and then talks KW into firing the current guy and replacing him with his guy.

    I had us pegged for a 7-5 or 8-4 season with definite losses to Stanford, USC and Washington and probable losses to Oregon and Washington St. I thought we had an outside chance at 9-3 and an outside chance at 6-6. I'm hoping for 6-6.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case.
    I think there are three players on offense who are playing well - Carrington, Moss, and Huntley. I normally advocate spreading the ball around a lot, but this season I say give Carrington 15 targets and Moss 25 carries. Give Huntley at least 10 designed carries as well. Get Carrington to 200 yards. Throw it to a TE once in the 3rd quarter to catch the bad guys by surprise, and then go back to Carrington for the next five targets. Feed him all game long.

  7. #37
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052

    Utah vs. Oregon 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am certainly not calling for Whit to be fired. It was obvious the past few years that in order to take the biggest step from a competitive, hard-nosed, physical team, to a favorite to win the South, the pass game had to be more effective. It was obvious to everyone. ARod and I talked about it a lot. He believed, and I agreed, that in addition to the limitations of Travis Wilson, which he acknowledged and tried to coach around because we did not have anyone else, we did not have the playmakers at WR to be significantly better than we were. Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case. Wilson and Nacua may turn into those types of playmakers and the freshmen we have not seen may as well, but I think it is clear that Singleton will always be the No. 2 or 3 receiver.

    I guess the point of all of this is that instead of building on what we had, a power run game and an offensive identity, Whit blew it all up to start over with the total opposite offensive style. Not only a totally different offensive style, but an offensive style headed by a guy with one year coaching experience in the last 15 years at an FBS school. I know my friendship with ARod makes me biased, but I was skeptical at the hire and mad at the firings (yes, Ericksen was fired - I know some don't believe it, but he was) from the get-go. I became hopeful that it would work, not because I believed it would work immediately, but because I am a Ute fan. I'm still skeptical and hopeful.

    Whit has made his offensive bed. It is critical that he not be talked into going into a new direction. I'm guessing his brother at Timpview doesn't get hired as a coach at Utah and doesn't have a guy coaching up his son at the high school level that is an offensive wizard and then talks KW into firing the current guy and replacing him with his guy.

    I had us pegged for a 7-5 or 8-4 season with definite losses to Stanford, USC and Washington and probable losses to Oregon and Washington St. I thought we had an outside chance at 9-3 and an outside chance at 6-6. I'm hoping for 6-6.
    It seems to me that there is every reason to believe that the defensive problems will be fixed. That’s based on history and Whitt‘s long-term performance in that area, which is superb. On the other hand, there is no reason to believe the offensive problems will be solved. There’s reason to hope; we fans always hope. But there is no basis for believing the offense will change much for the better. History just doesn’t support that. I hope Whitt stays until he retires, and I hope that we can get our offensive identity to the point where it’s in the middle of the conference. We could do pretty well with that combination. But I think that’s the best Utah is ever going to do with him as head coach.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It seems to me that there is every reason to believe that the defensive problems will be fixed. That’s based on history and Whitt‘s long-term performance in that area, which is superb. On the other hand, there is no reason to believe the offensive problems will be solved. There’s reason to hope; we fans always hope. But there is no basis for believing the offense will change much for the better. History just doesn’t support that. I hope Whitt stays until he retires, and I hope that we can get our offensive identity to the point where it’s in the middle of the conference. We could do pretty well with that combination. But I think that’s the best Utah is ever going to do with him as head coach.

    Offense wont improve until the 0 line does (and the WR's, as Utopia says). We dont have an identity because we cant run, especially in the red zone. We tried yesterday, and the o line failed miserably; the o line gets no push, but gets pushed back. Doesnt help that Moss had to come out that one red zone series, and we really dont have a back like Booker, White, Williams, or even Shyne. We have lost our identity as a power run team because we don't have the personnel to do that, either.

    I'm resigned to writing this off as a rebuilding year. Next year and the year after will be the test; I hope we haul in some of those WR recruits who visited. The o line and the d line need to grow up fast, however.

  9. #39
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052

    Utah vs. Oregon 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Offense wont improve until the 0 line does (and the WR's, as Utopia says). We dont have an identity because we cant run, especially in the red zone. We tried yesterday, and the o line failed miserably; the o line gets no push, but gets pushed back. Doesnt help that Moss had to come out that one red zone series, and we really dont have a back like Booker, White, Williams, or even Shyne. We have lost our identity as a power run team because we don't have the personnel to do that, either.

    I'm resigned to writing this off as a rebuilding year. Next year and the year after will be the test; I hope we haul in some of those WR recruits who visited. The o line and the d line need to grow up fast, however.
    The key word in your post is “hope.”

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  10. #40
    Or, its just a rebuilding year because of a new O line and a new offense, not to mention a true soph QB. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the defense, which was supposed to be reloading, not rebuilding. Plus, I'm an optimist.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

  11. #41
    Huntley had me a bit optimistic yesterday. Still a freshman, coming off an injury, but he had a decent game, and didn't make any big mistakes. He also showed some of that elusiveness and ability to throw on the run that has me excited for his future. Maybe even later this year, if the players can get some continuity and start playing on the same page. There were a few times where he and the receiver were not on the same page.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-29-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not certain our behavior differs much from that of other fan bases. I could be wrong. I don't see ASU/USC/Wazzu/etc twitter.
    I'm sure you are correct. Online fan interactions brings out the worst from the most fanatical fans.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Huntley had me a bit optimistic yesterday. Still a freshman, coming off an injury, but he had a decent game, and didn't make any big mistakes. He also showed some of that elusiveness and ability to throw on the run that has me excited for his future. Maybe even later this year, if the players can get some continuity and start playing on the same page. There were a few times where he and the receiver were not on the same page.

    I also liked the way Huntley played yesterday.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Huntley had me a bit optimistic yesterday. Still a freshman, coming off an injury, but he had a decent game, and didn't make any big mistakes. He also showed some of that elusiveness and ability to throw on the run that has me excited for his future. Maybe even later this year, if the players can get some continuity and start playing on the same page. There were a few times where he and the receiver were not on the same page.
    I still love his escapability under pressure, and his ability to throw long darts on the run. Now if he can get more accurate with this throws we will be in business (next year, probably).

    In the woulda/coulda/shoulda file, we need to recognize how close we still are to success on Oh-fense. If Carrington drags his toe on that long pass play, if Huntley hits the TEs on the seam routes, if we had that impact RB like the last number of years to punch it in at the goal line (prob due as much to Isaac Asiata), and a couple of more inches-away decision makers, then things look much brighter than they currently do.

    Also, I sincerely hope UCLA doesn't suddenly figure out how to play football next week. That seems to be a recurring theme among our opponents this year...

  15. #45
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I still love his escapability under pressure, and his ability to throw long darts on the run. Now if he can get more accurate with this throws we will be in business (next year, probably).
    I think even this year he gives us the best chance to win.

    Also, I sincerely hope UCLA doesn’t suddenly figure out how to play football next week. That seems to be a recurring theme among our opponents this year...
    LOL, so true.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  16. #46
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,081
    All...it was my fault. Utah lost the last two games because I missed both games -- was traveling.

  17. #47
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    All...it was my fault. Utah lost the last two games because I missed both games -- was traveling.
    I’m so embarrassed for you.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  18. #48
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052

    Utah vs. Oregon 2017

    A friend who knows football better than I do thinks Taylor’s run-pass option is still confusing to the OL, and that makes them tentative. In his offense they have to hold their blocks longer and not go downfield. They aren’t handling this well, and we are seeing the impact on the field. Makes sense but seems like something coaching could fix.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-29-2017 at 10:15 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A friend who knows football better than I do thinks Taylor’s run-pass option is still confusing to the OL, and that makes them tentative. I’m his offense they have to hold their blocks longer and not go downfield. They aren’t handling this well, and we are seeing the impact on the field. Makes sense but seems like something coaching could fix.
    I'm not savvy enough to know for sure. We didn't have any Ineligle Men Downfield penalties at Oregon, so that is some progress.

    I don't see how OL confusion can be blamed for our miserable performance in short distance running packages. Everyone knows what is coming in those situations. Well, we did pass to Ippolito the one time and it worked, except for the targeting call..
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  20. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A friend who knows football better than I do thinks Taylor’s run-pass option is still confusing to the OL, and that makes them tentative. I’m his offense they have to hold their blocks longer and not go downfield. They aren’t handling this well, and we are seeing the impact on the field. Makes sense but seems like something coaching could fix.
    The run pass option is difficult to run. It is designed for the OL to block run and it is incumbent on the QB to make a quick decision as to run or pass so that the OL does not get downfield. If the OL is trying to guess whether it is run or pass and not being aggressive in their run blocking, that is a QB decision making issue, not an OL issue.

  21. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The run pass option is difficult to run. It is designed for the OL to block run and it is incumbent on the QB to make a quick decision as to run or pass so that the OL does not get downfield. If the OL is trying to guess whether it is run or pass and not being aggressive in their run blocking, that is a QB decision making issue, not an OL issue.
    Seems to me our OL is NEVER aggressive in their run blocking this year.

    If that’s the case, it’s likely difficult to run a RPO. If the run is rarely blocked right, can’t the defense basically just blow up every play and not have to worry about the pass option? We can’t run, and if we go pass they’re destroying our DL anyway which leaves Huntley scrambling. This, to me, also would lead to Tyler putting up better numbers. He’s better ‘in trouble’.

    All of that leads me to ask, if we have a line that can’t run block, does it pretty much sink us right now. We can’t run RPO, we probably can’t run what Taylor wants to run. We can’t run smash mouth, and because we can’t do all of these things we won’t be able to drop back because every defense is in pass rush mode every play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Seems to me our OL is NEVER aggressive in their run blocking this year.

    If that’s the case, it’s likely difficult to run a RPO. If the run is rarely blocked right, can’t the defense basically just blow up every play and not have to worry about the pass option? We can’t run, and if we go pass they’re destroying our DL anyway which leaves Huntley scrambling. This, to me, also would lead to Tyler putting up better numbers. He’s better ‘in trouble’.

    All of that leads me to ask, if we have a line that can’t run block, does it pretty much sink us right now. We can’t run RPO, we probably can’t run what Taylor wants to run. We can’t run smash mouth, and because we can’t do all of these things we won’t be able to drop back because every defense is in pass rush mode every play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    we ran pretty well against USC, but it wasn't RPO. It was more of the power run with very little QB run option. Our OL are road graders who block well for power run. This works well in my the open field when the defense cannot stack the box. It is difficult to do when you have more defenders than blockers at the point of attack. This is why red zone was difficult last year.

  23. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I agree on the Twitter and Facebook effect. It is just silly, emotional overreacting. Ironically, Reddit is surprisingly civil and measured.

    But I don't like the sense of entitlement that many Ute fans bring to the conversation. I don't mind complaining about our weaknesses. I just greatly dislike when that complaining includes statements about how 'awful' our opponent was, how we 'deserved' to win, how we 'couldn't beat the worst run defense in the league', etc. Every other team in our league is competing at a high level. Every other team is balancing their talent, motivation, and execution and can improve or retreat week to week. We can accept that this is a down year for us without tearing down our opponents in the process.

    Our decades-long incestuous relationship with byu has caused their worst traits to transfer to us, and it really makes us all look petty and inhospitable to other PAC-12 fanbases. I would like to think we are better than that.
    Holy cow are you kidding me? You are blaming BYU for your short comings? Grow the hell up and own your unwarranted arrogance and stupidity.

    I am embarrassed for you.
    Last edited by tooblue; 10-30-2017 at 08:34 AM.

  24. #54
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052
    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I am embarrassed for you.
    This is a burden you should not have to bear. The easy solution is to spend your time in the warm, nurturing environment of CougarStadium. They like BYU over there. Kind of.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  25. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is a burden you should not have to bear. The easy solution is to spend your time in the warm, nurturing environment of CougarStadium. They like BYU over there. Kind of.
    Well, while I'm here let's square the logic: If BYU is to to blame for all that is bad, BYU can also be credited for all that is good ... All wins or good things the Utes have accomplished on the football field, only occurred because of the influence of BYU football. Isn't that how big brother, little brother dynamics work?
    Last edited by tooblue; 10-30-2017 at 04:59 PM.

  26. #56
    I am surprised everyone is giving Scalley a pass. His D scheme yesterday & for most of this year was/is poor (at best).

    He plays an OLB outside on the strong side & then an inside LB & then a safety. Rarely does he use 3 LBs. So Oregon ran to the weak side---at Anae who was getting worked by their LT. And when he got pushed inside or knocked off his feet there was no OLB to control the edge. It is too hard for a LB to run from the inside to try to catch a back --who then cuts back--happened to both Barton & Thompson & they fly right by the runner.

    When you know you are facing a true freshman QB at Oregon---who did not complete a deep ball all day---load the BOX, like most teams do against the Utes & make him beat you with his arm.

    Scalley is a great recruiter & position coach---long ways to go to be a good coordinator.

    Another note---Lowell L is not a high draft pick like his brother---several plays he got pushed 5 yards out of the play. Mokofisi is the best DT.

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I am surprised everyone is giving Scalley a pass. His D scheme yesterday & for most of this year was/is poor (at best).

    He plays an OLB outside on the strong side & then an inside LB & then a safety. Rarely does he use 3 LBs. So Oregon ran to the weak side---at Anae who was getting worked by their LT. And when he got pushed inside or knocked off his feet there was no OLB to control the edge. It is too hard for a LB to run from the inside to try to catch a back --who then cuts back--happened to both Barton & Thompson & they fly right by the runner.

    When you know you are facing a true freshman QB at Oregon---who did not complete a deep ball all day---load the BOX, like most teams do against the Utes & make him beat you with his arm.

    Scalley is a great recruiter & position coach---long ways to go to be a good coordinator.

    Another note---Lowell L is not a high draft pick like his brother---several plays he got pushed 5 yards out of the play. Mokofisi is the best DT.
    Anne not only got worked, he is continually going inside and not holding the edge. Most of Oregon's run plays were run with 4 WRs. It is tough to play 3 LBs when they have 4 WR's. Having said that, it didn't look as if any adjustments were made.

  28. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Anne not only got worked, he is continually going inside and not holding the edge. Most of Oregon's run plays were run with 4 WRs. It is tough to play 3 LBs when they have 4 WR's. Having said that, it didn't look as if any adjustments were made.
    They had 4 sometimes, but usually tight end, with QB & RB & 3 wideouts.

    DE unless he is split out can not hold the edge---yet that is his plan all year.

    And as you said---make an adjustment at half time.

  29. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am certainly not calling for Whit to be fired. It was obvious the past few years that in order to take the biggest step from a competitive, hard-nosed, physical team, to a favorite to win the South, the pass game had to be more effective. It was obvious to everyone. ARod and I talked about it a lot. He believed, and I agreed, that in addition to the limitations of Travis Wilson, which he acknowledged and tried to coach around because we did not have anyone else, we did not have the playmakers at WR to be significantly better than we were. Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case. Wilson and Nacua may turn into those types of playmakers and the freshmen we have not seen may as well, but I think it is clear that Singleton will always be the No. 2 or 3 receiver.

    I guess the point of all of this is that instead of building on what we had, a power run game and an offensive identity, Whit blew it all up to start over with the total opposite offensive style. Not only a totally different offensive style, but an offensive style headed by a guy with one year coaching experience in the last 15 years at an FBS school. I know my friendship with ARod makes me biased, but I was skeptical at the hire and mad at the firings (yes, Ericksen was fired - I know some don't believe it, but he was) from the get-go. I became hopeful that it would work, not because I believed it would work immediately, but because I am a Ute fan. I'm still skeptical and hopeful.

    Whit has made his offensive bed. It is critical that he not be talked into going into a new direction. I'm guessing his brother at Timpview doesn't get hired as a coach at Utah and doesn't have a guy coaching up his son at the high school level that is an offensive wizard and then talks KW into firing the current guy and replacing him with his guy.

    I had us pegged for a 7-5 or 8-4 season with definite losses to Stanford, USC and Washington and probable losses to Oregon and Washington St. I thought we had an outside chance at 9-3 and an outside chance at 6-6. I'm hoping for 6-6.
    I agree with everything you said. It is clear the WRs have been the weak link on offense. I thought I was the only Ute fan who didn't blame the problems on offense on Roderick. He's a better OC than Taylor by a long shot. One of Whit's biggest mistake was letting Roderick go. A few tweaks and a lot more talent at WR was all Roderick needed.

  30. #60
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,052
    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Well, while I'm here let's square the logic: If BYU is to to blame for all that is bad, BYU can also be credited for all that is good ... All wins or good things the Utes have accomplished on the football field, only occurred because of the influence of BYU football. Isn't that how big brother, little brother dynamics work?
    BYU is not responsible for all that is good or bad. Humankind has moral agency, except on the BYU campus.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •