Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah vs. Oregon 2017

Utah vs. Oregon 2017

Moving on...

Like Utah, Oregon has lost three in a row...most recently last weekend at UCLA. Oregon is 4-4, and 1-4 in league play. Their final four games are vs. Utah, @Washington, vs. Arizona, and vs. Oregon St. So from their view, this is certainly an opportunity to grab another win on their way to bowl eligibility.

Against UCLA, their current QB threw for 74 yards. I know there has been some talk about this being the week that Herbert targeted to get back, so that will be something to watch.

Obviously, the story line coming into this game will be Carrington returning to Oregon with something to prove. Secondary to that, we'll probably have some kind of QB "competition" heading into this week. Kyle said after the ASU game it was too early to discuss the starting QB for this week. That may have been some frustration speaking, but it will be interesting to see if Tyler can make enough strides in practice to not hamper the offense with his physical limitations.

We did open up as a slight favorite, so it could be an opportunity for a win...but boy do we have some work to do to get this done on the road.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Moving on...

Like Utah, Oregon has lost three in a row...most recently last weekend at UCLA. Oregon is 4-4, and 1-4 in league play. Their final four games are vs. Utah, @Washington, vs. Arizona, and vs. Oregon St. So from their view, this is certainly an opportunity to grab another win on their way to bowl eligibility.

Against UCLA, their current QB threw for 74 yards. I know there has been some talk about this being the week that Herbert targeted to get back, so that will be something to watch.

Obviously, the story line coming into this game will be Carrington returning to Oregon with something to prove. Secondary to that, we'll probably have some kind of QB "competition" heading into this week. Kyle said after the ASU game it was too early to discuss the starting QB for this week. That may have been some frustration speaking, but it will be interesting to see if Tyler can make enough strides in practice to not hamper the offense with his physical limitations.

We did open up as a slight favorite, so it could be an opportunity for a win...but boy do we have some work to do to get this done on the road.
    Yeah, big game for both teams in terms of bowl hopes.

Oregon is night and day different with Herbert.

What are the "physical limitations" for Huntley?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, big game for both teams in terms of bowl hopes.

Oregon is night and day different with Herbert.

What are the "physical limitations" for Huntley?
    Well, he can't run, or rather, they would prefer that he not run so as to not get banged up again, so that takes an element away from his game. On Saturday when ASU wasn't rushing anyone, he sat back in the pocket and just couldn't for the life of him make a decision. He'd make one read and throw it to the check down. When he threw it deep, it sailed high or wide, so he's either not 100% in that shoulder, or that was just a lot of rust. So I think one could argue that he's got some limitations on the deep ball accuracy due to the shoulder.

He also looked like his confidence was totally shot. I hope he can get that back.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    When he threw it deep, it sailed high or wide, so he's either not 100% in that shoulder, or that was just a lot of rust. So I think one could argue that he's got some limitations on the deep ball accuracy due to the shoulder.
    He was deadly accurate on 0-15 yard throws at the start of the season. I think that accuracy was there Sat for the most part. I don't remember great accuracy downfield even before the shoulder thing.

I'm sure the shoulder is a factor, but I think part of it is just his downfield accuracy in general.

I just hope that Oregon's vastly superior talent doesn't suddenly gel in this game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

What is up with our defense lately? We lok like JV against varsity out there.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    What is up with our defense lately? We lok like JV against varsity out there.
    They look like they don’t watch film

I swear we have no clue when they’re suckering us to chase the QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offensive line not looking great either.

i hate this. It doesn't feel like we can do anything good right now.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Offensive line not looking great either.

i hate this. It doesn't feel like we can do anything good right now.
    O line really really horrible

I hate to be a Debbie-downer, but our "heavy package" is likely averaging negative yardage this year. How does it make sense to pitch the ball backwards 5 yards when there ate 18 bodies in the box?
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-28-2017 at 04:23 PM.

I hate to be a Debbie-downer, but our "heavy package" is likely averaging negative yardage this year. How does it make sense to pict have the ball backwards 5 yards when there ate 18 bodies in the box?
    I don’t get that package at all.

Our whole offense was supposed to be built around the same personnel being used to not tip our hand, yet we constantly tip our hand by changing personnel.

Utah vs. Oregon 2017

I’m starting to become resigned to to the reality that we just aren’t very good this year. We all hoped we would exceed expectations, but we might not even meet them.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-28-2017 at 04:34 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Utah vs. Oregon 2017

Is anybody else thinking that Troy Taylor might eventually be a good 0C, but still needs experience? The last two or three games he has seemed a bit outmatched by the DC on the other team. All those guys are experienced.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is anybody else thinking that Troy Taylor might eventually be a good 0C, but still needs experience? The last two or three games he has seemed a bit outmatched by the DC on the other team. All those guys are experienced.
    I may be wrong, but i think it is more talent than scheme. Our o line is horrible. On the Carrington fumble, Simpkins got run over on his block. Nucua dropped a td. We suck basically. Everybody beats us up..

The law of averages caught up with us in the red zone. We were bound to score a touchdown eventually, whether by luck or design.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I may be wrong, but i think it is more talent than scheme. Our o line is horrible. On the Carrington fumble, Simpkins got run over on his block. Nucua dropped a td. We suck basically. Everybody beats us up..
    Also, I think, they play like head cases. With the exception of the offense of line, they’re better than they’re playing.

--Yeats

This is a very, very frustrating Utah team to watch.

--Yeats

All things considered, I am not surprised by the offensive struggles, but I am flabbergasted at the defensive struggles.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Despite that nice scoring drive, I may need to change my photo to a Brewster Buffalo because of the defense.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    O line really really horrible
    Both lines.

Receivers really struggling to block.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Both lines.

Receivers really struggling to block.
    Yes and yes

I read on Facebook that Huntley was really sounding off in the post-game presser and they cut the mic. Anyone hear what he said?

--Yeats

I read on Facebook that Huntley was really sounding off in the post-game presser and they cut the mic. Anyone hear what he said?

I’m kinda glad he’s angry.

--Yeats

I love football, but it could be better:

1) There's no reason why a WR stepping out of bounds and then touching the ball should be a penalty. It's enough for it to be incomplete.
    2) Ineligible downfield needs work as a rule.
    3) Targeting needs to be changed to allow for judgment. The sport is not getting better from the targeting rules.

Also, this is our worst and softest defense in the Pac-12.

There were a dozen examples today of "game of inches." So many big moments hinged on the smallest of things. But, even with that, Oregon rushed for 350 yards. Nothing flukey there.

I don't know and I don't know if we will ever see it at Utah. The reason this offense has no identity is because the identity is created by the HC and Whit has never been able to make up his mind what he wants the offense to be. We have been pro-style (Andy and Chow), we have been a hybrid with a heavy emphasis on power run with most everyone else and now we are a throw first, run second with Taylor. We will never see a consistent offense at Utah unless Whit makes a commitment to an offensive identity.

The bigger problem, IMO, is the inability to stop the run.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't know and I don't know if we will ever see it at Utah. The reason this offense has no identity is because the identity is created by the HC and Whit has never been able to make up his mind what he wants the offense to be. We have been pro-style (Andy and Chow), we have been a hybrid with a heavy emphasis on power run with most everyone else and now we are a throw first, run second with Taylor. We will never see a consistent offense at Utah unless Whit makes a commitment to an offensive identity.
    Several members of our community here consider these to be pretty heretical statements.

--Yeats

Several members of our community here consider these to be pretty heretical statements.
    All of the other Utah fan communities are unbearable right now. Those of us with heavily-callused nether regions know better, but I think we are on the precipice of witnessing a massive loss of bandwagoners.

When did Utah fans become such whiny little bitches?

Utah vs. Oregon 2017

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    All of the other Utah fan communities are unbearable right now. Those of us with heavily-callused nether regions know better, but I think we are on the precipice of witnessing a massive loss of bandwagoners.

When did Utah fans become such whiny little bitches?
    My guess is that most of them are a bit younger, kind of like the post-2004 Red Sox fans who made it unpleasant for those of us who have been long-time Boston fans.

I think Kyle‘s system and approach, as frustrating as they can be, have enabled Utah to overachieve in the PAC-12. I think that approach also gives us a low ceiling. The debate that Seattle Ute and I have all the time is about whether that low ceiling is structural and immovable. (In other words, “This is as good as it gets, because we are Utah and we have inherent limitations, and we are lucky to have Whit and his approach because we will never do any better.“)

I don’t think the ceiling is immovable, but I have no illusions about how hard it might be, and how long it might take, to raise it. I also recognize it I may be wrong, and perhaps I’m simply an optimist.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-28-2017 at 11:18 PM.

--Yeats