Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Russia Dossier

The Russia Dossier

For me, one result of the Trump upheaval has been additional clarity regarding politics. I'm much more skeptical than ever about everyone involved -- Republicans, Democrats, the news media, bloggers, twitterers, you name them. I'm willing to call Trump the indecent, out-of-control manchild that he is. I'm willing to call the GOP Congress feckless. I'm willing to see scoundrels wherever they are, of whatever political persuasion. And scoundrels are everywhere in this story:

Clinton Campaign and Democratic Party Helped Pay for Russia Trump Dossier

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/2...m.facebook.com

It's hard for me to see the good guys in this story. Fools and scoundrels everywhere. It's very dispiriting. Don't tell me Clinton or Trump or the Republicans or the Dems are victims. They're all just trying to victimize each other as they all roll around together in a giant mosh pit.

Not that I feel strongly about this or anything.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Here's the Washington Post story that broke this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e3e97b304deb

And just for balance here's the Washington Examiner:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2638540

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

New York Times reporters tweeting that they are shocked -- shocked! -- that Clinton campaign people lied to them about the Russia dossier.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ne...rticle/2638531

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here's the Washington Post story that broke this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e3e97b304deb

And just for balance here's the Washington Examiner:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...rticle/2638540
    As a funny aside, Sarah Huckabee told reporters she wouldn’t use the Washington Post as a source.....4 hours later she tweeted the above article as a source haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was given to Hillary and the DNC by Jeb Bush's people.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...bush-super-pac

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It was given to Hillary and the DNC by Jeb Bush's people.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...bush-super-pac
    Makes no difference, IMO. All campaigns do opposition research. The guys who paid the Perkins Coie law firm over $12 million during the campaign were the Clinton campaign and the DNC. They’re the ones who used the dossier and made it what it became.

--Yeats

Ah, Talking Points Memo, the InfoWars of the left.

Pro-tip: Wondering if your news source is faulty look at the ads they serve up (they are the same ones for the right and left sites). For instance at the bottom of this article: One easy trick to get 20/20 vision, Amazing cure for Alzheimer’s, one easy trick to avoid traffic tickets...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Ah, Talking Points Memo, the InfoWars of the left.

Pro-tip: Wondering if your news source is faulty look at the ads they serve up (they are the same ones for the right and left sites). For instance at the bottom of this article: One easy trick to get 20/20 vision, Amazing cure for Alzheimer’s, one easy trick to avoid traffic tickets...

I just did a quick search to find it. There have been discussions on Twitter about it all year.

I am curious though, does it really matter who funded it? Like LA said, everyone does oppo research. I'm not sure why my dad is stroking out with glee over this new bit of information.

The Russia Dossier

I am curious though, does it really matter who funded it? Like LA said, everyone does oppo research. I'm not sure why my dad is stroking out with glee over this new bit of information.
    What fries me is not who funded it, but that they all lied about it. Maggie Haberman says the Clinton campaign lied to her about this for a year, “with sanctimony.” What were they hiding?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-25-2017 at 01:34 PM.

--Yeats

I see those kinds of ads in the Washington Post and on SI.com. I think those are more or less everywhere.

--Yeats

I just did a quick search to find it. There have been discussions on Twitter about it all year.

Yeah, I don't get why it is a big deal. The bigger question is whether any of the items in the dossier are true. Seems yet another attempt to distract from that and discredit it. As my business partner likes to joke when he states something he'll add, "And it has the ADDED benefit of being true."

Yeah, I don't get why it is a big deal. The bigger question is whether any of the items in the dossier are true. Seems yet another attempt to distract from that and discredit it. As my business partner likes to joke when he states something he'll add, "And it has the ADDED benefit of being true."
    I really don't think we know enough yet to know why it might be a big deal. That the Clinton/DNC camps lied about it for so long tells me that we need to dig into it more.

--Yeats

Good thing she's not President. We wouldn't tolerate such blatent lying from our highest office.

Just imagine the outrage if Hillary's campaign used any of that info!

I'm not surprised Hillary and the DNC lied about the Russia Dossier. They're politicians.

On the other side, what's happening under the GOP tent, the purification process underway that elevates a Roy Moore, while throwing Jeff Flake to the curb, is more concerning.

(Flake sensed that criticizing Trump would cost him his tenure as a Senator, but he felt he had to do it, to be able to sleep at night, kind of like LA Ute here, who seems to genuinely be aghast - or at least mildly concerned - about a lot of Trump's behavior.)

The rest of the GOP seems extremely averse to speaking about many of the morals they've historically championed, with Flake / Corker / Ryan / McConnell / Price / Spicer, et al, being examples of what can easily occur if you cross - or even appear to have crossed - Trump. "The Emperor has the most fantastic wardrobe, ever!"

For example, watch how meager the rhetoric will be under the GOP tent about the need for tax reform to not add to the debt. What do the Tea Partiers who didn't want to add to the debt ceiling think today? (Crickets.)

Republicans are increasingly unrecognizable from where they were just a year ago.

The Russia Dossier

Getting back to the dossier, I'll repeat what I said a few months ago: If Trump or his team did collude with the Russian government to influence the US election, then the people should go to jail, including Trump. If it's fake, it's the most cynical political ploy in US history.

Ma'ake, I think the Democrats have a lot to worry about in their own party. By catering to the hard left they are destroying their own chances for electoral success and they are making Trump and the alt-right more successful.

The truth about the dossier is a reminder of what was and what was not at stake in last year's presidential contest. Ever since Trump's election, the moral posturing by some of America's sleaziest liars has become nearly unbearable.

In the time since the election, the Left has taken up the banner of "Resistance." Each time Trump makes another false, crude, bizarre, or offensive comment, they point back to the choice in November and frame the election as if falsehood conquered truth, darkness overpowered light, and an evil empire overcame good.

In the real world, however, the 2016 campaign was nothing like that. It was a contest between Trump's obvious and extensive disconnection from facts and Clinton's conniving, calculated, and self-serving lies that fit snugly into her 40-year career of corruption and falsehood.

Both Clinton's involvement in this sleazy dossier, and her team's coverup of wrongdoing, are par for the course she set back in Arkansas in the 1980s. Last year marked its latest chapter, when she evaded lawful FOIA requests and congressional inquiries by illegally hiding all of her work correspondence on a private server. But it was never just about the emails. It was about her belief that she is above the law, and about how this translated into action that was in keeping with all the mendacity of her long career to that point.

Not long before Clinton was heroically warning the nation about the threat posed by Russia, her husband was taking $500,000 from a Kremlin-tied bank for a single speech in Moscow. Long, long before that, she made a 10,000 percent profit trading cattle futures over a 10-month period, a feat impossible to achieve honestly that she still insists was no big deal. Somewhere in between those two events, she was seen enabling her husband's predations upon women, making the world safer for her dear friend and donor, Harvey Weinstein.

If you wonder why voters chose not to elect Clinton, even though it meant something as extraordinary as choosing Trump, you need look no further.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/th...rticle/2638644

A plague on on all their houses, I say.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.

--Yeats

Ma'ake, I think the Democrats have a lot to worry about in their own party. By catering to the hard left they are destroying their own chances for electoral success and they are making Trump and the alt-right more successful.
    The DNC is systematically marginalizing and refusing to fund progressive candidates and anybody who strays to the left of the DNC's right-of-center corporatist platform. Today's DNC is 1980s/1990s centrist Republican party, but with a bit of social libertarian support for LGBT right, minority rights, pro-choice, far less jingoistic nationalism, and with dramatically better economic policies. Hillary had more in common with Bob Dole than with FDR.

The DNC only seems to be 'hard left' because the beliefs and stances that several decades ago were so far-right radical that only 5%of Republicans espoused them, are now considered Mainstream. And they are following the Republicans rightward every day.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/th...rticle/2638644

A plague on on all their houses, I say.
    I completely agree on the Democrats pulling hard left, and setting themselves and the rest of up for either ongoing movement to an authoritarian dictatorship, a civil war, or something not good.

I tried to tamp down the anger among the Bernie supporters among the youth in my circles, talk them into accepting a highly imperfect moderate, and they pretty much all stayed home on election day. (This is all in Utah, so it's just an academic exercise, but probably not far off from what happened elsewhere.)

On the Dossier, my sense is as Republicans cower in not wanting to cross Trump, both the Senate and House investigations will whither, and Mueller will be fired, no later than February. McCain will keel over soon, so that obstacle will disappear, as quickly as Arizona can vote in a true patriot to replace the weak, misguided POW.

Early December might be a good time to axe Mueller and deep-six the investigation, with a condition to indict Hillary immediately "or else", and Trump will tell America the War on Christmas needs to be defeated, like ISIS, this year. "To defeat Islam, we need to defeat the enemies of Christmas here, first!"

Further out, if the polls look ugly for 2020, I give it at least a 1/3 chance Trump finds sufficient pretexts to suspend the elections, especially if the economy goes into recession and there are rumblings of unrest. Romney would fade into a pleasant past-tense "save the nation" wish, for what used to be mainstream Republicans and a lot of us Democrats.

Trump is 71 and may not make it that far, but by then the unraveling of the nation - including some of the things Bannon predicted in SoCal a few weeks ago to the Cali GOP convention - will be much further underway and maybe not reversible.

I wish I could be more optimistic about America.

(Now, hopefully the Utes can pick up a win in Eugene, but if they don't, it's just Ute nation that suffers, just a small fraction of what is actually important.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I completely agree on the Democrats pulling hard left, and setting themselves and the rest of up for either ongoing movement to an authoritarian dictatorship, a civil war, or something not good.

I tried to tamp down the anger among the Bernie supporters among the youth in my circles, talk them into accepting a highly imperfect moderate, and they pretty much all stayed home on election day. (This is all in Utah, so it's just an academic exercise, but probably not far off from what happened elsewhere.)

On the Dossier, my sense is as Republicans cower in not wanting to cross Trump, both the Senate and House investigations will whither, and Mueller will be fired, no later than February. McCain will keel over soon, so that obstacle will disappear, as quickly as Arizona can vote in a true patriot to replace the weak, misguided POW.

Early December might be a good time to axe Mueller and deep-six the investigation, with a condition to indict Hillary immediately "or else", and Trump will tell America the War on Christmas needs to be defeated, like ISIS, this year. "To defeat Islam, we need to defeat the enemies of Christmas here, first!"

Further out, if the polls look ugly for 2020, I give it at least a 1/3 chance Trump finds sufficient pretexts to suspend the elections, especially if the economy goes into recession and there are rumblings of unrest. Romney would fade into a pleasant past-tense "save the nation" wish, for what used to be mainstream Republicans and a lot of us Democrats.

Trump is 71 and may not make it that far, but by then the unraveling of the nation - including some of the things Bannon predicted in SoCal a few weeks ago to the Cali GOP convention - will be much further underway and maybe not reversible.

I wish I could be more optimistic about America.

(Now, hopefully the Utes can pick up a win in Eugene, but if they don't, it's just Ute nation that suffers, just a small fraction of what is actually important.)
    OK. I’m moving to Costa Rica. Nice, advanced democratic contrary with good weather. Short hop to the States, if it’s safe to return. Plus, I speak the language. (My wife will Just have to learn it.)

--Yeats

OK. I’m moving to Costa Rica. Nice, advanced democratic contrary with good weather. Short hop to the States, if it’s safe to return. Plus, I speak the language. (My wife will Just have to learn it.)
    You speak Costa Rican? How is that different from Puerto Rican?

You speak Costa Rican? How is that different from Puerto Rican?
    It’s kind of like Austrian.

--Yeats

Estoy de accuerdo contigo que CR es alguno paiz muy interesante porque la clima, escuelas, una comunidad de otras norte americanos, etc. Mi madre fue ala Cape Bretton, Canada 3 semanas pasado, donde alguno parte de su familia vive antes van al Estados Unidos. Clima mas frio, pero Hermosa, sociedad pacifica.

Para tu esposa, estas de accuerdo conmigo que aprendiendo Espanol is mas facile que Ingles porque los leyes y escribiendo de la idioma hay mas consistense? (Lo siento para mi pobre Espanol, yo lo estudiaba en escuela, a la U, pero es facile para practicar lo porque hay mucha gente que hablar lo.)
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 10-29-2017 at 09:02 AM.

WSJ editorial board calls for Mueller's resignation and accuses Clinton and DNC of collusion

http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...linton-2017-10

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Estoy de accuerdo contigo que CR es alguno paiz muy interesante porque la clima, escuelas, una comunidad de otras norte americanos, etc. Mi madre fue ala Cape Bretton, Canada 3 semanas pasado, donde alguno parte de su familia vive antes van al Estados Unidos. Clima mas frio, pero Hermosa, sociedad pacifica.

Para tu esposa, estas de accuerdo conmigo que aprendiendo Espanol is mas facile que Ingles porque los leyes y escribiendo de la idioma hay mas consistense? (Lo siento para mi pobre Espanol, yo lo estudiaba en escuela, a la U, pero es facile para practicar lo porque hay mucha gente que hablar lo.)
    Bueno. Necesitamos un lugar para los que hablan español. El super secreto sanctuary.

WSJ editorial board calls for Mueller's resignation and accuses Clinton and DNC of collusion

http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-m...linton-2017-10
    Punch - counter-punch. If they just keep investigating everyone and everything, maybe the distraction will keep them from doing more things that are very harmful.

The Russia Dossier

In my experience reading him, this writer is a conservative lawyer, but very careful with the facts. The timeline he lays out is important.

A Bipartisan Dossier of Collusion
    http://amp.nationalreview.com/articl...llusion-russia

--Yeats

Yes, I am posting a lot about this because I’m as angry about it as I’ve ever been about any political issue. Not because I like Trump — I don’t — but because if what this dirty trick on steroids has done to the country.

Sen. Susan Collins calls for DNC, Clinton campaign members to re-testify on dossier

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/sen...fy-on-dossier/

The last time I was even close to this angry was when Nixon betrayed everyone who supported him and the entire country by engaging in the Watergate cover-up.

--Yeats

Last post on this today. I promise. This is from Carl Cannon, the Washington bureau chief for Real Clear Politics. He’s a reporter, not an op-ed writer:

Here’s the hell of it. The Russian government was interfering in the U.S. election. Among other scams, Russian Internet trolls spread anti-Hillary rumors and fake news. Yes, the DNC trolled Bernie Sanders, but this was a vastly more sophisticated effort. And while Russians are no more monolithic than Americans, if any part of the Steele dossier is accurate, Russia was playing both sides of the fence. But why?

It was while trying to discern Russia’s motives—and future course of action—that Winston Churchill invoked his “riddle wrapped in mystery inside an enigma” line. That’s the famous part of the quote. There was more, however. “But perhaps there is a key,” Churchill added. “That key is Russian national interest.”

In the end we may learn that Vladimir Putin’s goal is simply setting Americans at one another’s throats. If so, he seems to have succeeded. Yet, one wonders: to what aim? Is Russia such a basket case that Putin and his minions can only feel superior by watching us hammer away at each other? If so, perhaps Republicans and Democrats can be induced not to cooperate.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...rd_135395.html

--Yeats

I lied. This is from the Washington Post’s fact checker, Glenn Kessler:

The ‘dossier’ and the uranium deal: A guide to the latest allegations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-allegations/

A good breakdown of a complex situation.

--Yeats