Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when a resistible force meets a movable object? Utah vs. UCLA 2017

What happens when a resistible force meets a movable object? Utah vs. UCLA 2017

Fire away. Should be an interesting game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Fire away. Should be an interesting game.
    Rosen left the Washington game with an injury and didn't return, so there's that.

I had been planning to go but I have an unavoidable work commitment Friday night. This team does need fan support so I hope those who are able to attend will go cheer for them!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

If ever there was must win...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I wish we had Armand Shyne. I think he could be a difference maker this year. But I hope to see Zach Moss have a breakout day.

FYI, UW only threw the ball 11 times, and racked up 333 yds on the ground. This has to be the game plan for Utah as well. By contrast, UCLA had 170 yds passing and 63 yds rushing.

Anybody want 3 good tickets to the UCLA game? PM me.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Anybody want 3 good tickets to the UCLA game? PM me.
    Utes are gonna roll tonight.

Whittingham will figure out how to get the team fired up.
    Friday night home conference games are strong medicine.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

UCLA twitter saying Rosen out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    UCLA twitter saying Rosen out tonight.
    Works for me!

Yay! We have a chance to turn around the season tonight.

This should be an interesting game to be at. Both teams are fighting for survival. I believe the loser will not make a bowl game since that means they would have to win 2 of the next 3 games (including a rivalry game). Mora was getting some heat before the season started. I don't think that will change by having an NFL QB and not making a bowl game.

It is a must win for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It is a must win for both teams.
    It's our 3rd consecutive must-win game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's our 3rd consecutive must-win game.
    Yeah, ASU was must-win to stay somewhat in the division race and for any hopes to get back into the rankings (and maintain our streak of CFP rankings - RIP).

Oregon was must-win to have a chance to fight for a "pretty good" season and have a shot at a mid-tier PAC 12 bowl.

Now UCLA is basically must-win for bowl eligibility. No way we win in Seattle and it's really hard to see us beating WSU following a five game losing streak. We won't be in a position to turn our noses up at the Vegas or Cactus Bowl, if we want a 13th game we need to win tonight.

Krumble! Finally a break for Utah.

Why is sliver contact between helmets worth 15 yards and an ejection, but all refs will allow the defense to continue a gang tackle for 10 seconds after the whistle on forward progress?

What a horrible looking team. Seems to lack discipline and intelligence. Inexperience and young are not enough of an excuse. Arizona has over 60 freshmen (including red-shirt).

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    What a horrible looking team. Seems to lack discipline and intelligence. Inexperience and young are not enough of an excuse. Arizona has over 60 freshmen (including red-shirt).
    Yeah, we're a mess. I still think 90% of it is the lines this year.

About Arizona, it's funny. Last year - with the same coaching staff - it was the wildcats who lacked discipline and intelligence. Now they look completely different.

At least we are forcing punts on 3rd down this week. That's a big deal.

The announcer Gus Johnson looks like the realtor from the slim jim commercials "now this is where they found the body" "bodies plural"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The announcer Gus Johnson looks like the realtor from the slim jim commercials "now this is where they found the body" "bodies plural"
    I've never seen the two of them in the same room.

To be fair, the team looks much better in the 2nd half (started around the end of 1st half).

"I just gave up a first down. Check out my bicep!"

Once again, ineligible downfield is a broken rule. The rule violation has no effect on the actual play about 99% of the time. Maybe 100%. That's the definition of broken.

Now I'm hoping Bateman gets a drive or two in the 4th.

Sounds like Blair out for the season. Bummer.

Hansen, Carrington, Hughes, Fitts all came out with injuries. I'm sure I'm missing some too.

What happens when a resistible force meets a movable object? Utah vs. UCLA 2017

Highlights from last night. I noticed how badly UCLA’s defense played. They seem clueless and out of position in most of these big Utah plays. OTOH, Huntley’s TD pass to Carrington was simply impossible to defend. Seemed perfectly placed and perfectly caught.

https://youtu.be/3ZlqUuzz2Go
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-04-2017 at 12:23 PM.

--Yeats

UCLA is really bad----I wonder if they unpacked all their gear---would only delay them getting out of town, as they did ont apear to come to play. How does Mora Jr. survive?

Game ball to Paul Toala--who went in at right guard in 2nd quarter. RS soph walk on from Seattle who played at Dixie for a year & then went on a mission. 2nd strongest on team & a scholar athlete.
    He opened some holes & did not get beat on pass blocking.

Huntley is incredible. The last minute passes are hard to believe, he makes something out of nothing.
    He should have had 2 more TD passes----Singleton wide open & stops running so can not catch a well thrown ball. Handley should catch a low ball on goal line before end of the half. He did not miss a pass---had to throw some away into sidelines due to pressure.
    And Huntley is only 19 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    UCLA is really bad
    It's just what the doctor ordered. We needed that.

--Yeats

Old Standing,
    I'll nitpick just a little - the throw to Handley was awful. Get it up to his waist and he falls into the end zone. It was thrown at his shoe laces. That one's on Huntley. Otherwise, I'm with you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Old Standing,
    I'll nitpick just a little - the throw to Handley was awful. Get it up to his waist and he falls into the end zone. It was thrown at his shoe laces. That one's on Huntley. Otherwise, I'm with you brother.
    Bad throw, and really a mediocre route. Handley should be a yard deep in the endzone at least. Running down the goal line leaves no margin for error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point Diehard. I just happened upon the play watching a recording and Handley may not have made it in even if the throw was in a better place. The defender may have kept him out.

I'm seeing a lot of "Ucla is horrible, so we shouldn't feel good about beating them."

Ucla routed Oregon. The Bruins may be horrible, but the ducks are worse. So I'm still calling our win a sign of progress.