Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    No, no, no... let us be clear.

There's the Steve Miller Band, who I've grown to appreciate much more over the years, especially since I caught them at Red Butte Gardens and found out what a fundamentally cool guy Steve Miller really is (when he spoke about the need for arts education, and brought up some 14 year old guitar player to do the riffs on one of his timeless classics).

... and then there's Stephen Miller, the condescending, hot-headed, unreasonable 32-year old A-hole, who had a reputation in high school for taking extreme positions in debate class and yelling down anyone who disagreed.
    I LOVE the Dave Miller Band! Not a fan of the Steve Matthews Band though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I LOVE the Dave Miller Band! Not a fan of the Steve Matthews Band though.

How do you feel about Dave Winwood?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

What do you think of Adam Schiff’s explanation for opposing the release of the memo for public review and discussion?

https://youtu.be/P34zKSW1l68
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Human nature being what it is, no party should be surprised when shutdowns backfire. The question is whether Democrats and Republicans have both learned a lesson from the events of this weekend, or whether we are looking at more shutdowns in the future....

Republicans, after all, returned to shutdown tactics in 2013, even though they had earlier failed, which tells us that legislators don’t always take the lessons of history to heart. When you care about an issue very much, it is extremely difficult to admit that there may be no political route to what you want.

Also, the shutdown this weekend represented a further escalation of the nasty game of tit-for-tat that has been eroding both political norms and legislative effectiveness over the last 30 years. One party breaks some norm, and then when Congress changes hands, the other party takes it further, until pretty soon, the norm disappears, and we are in a new, angrier state of “normal.” Each party comes out of these episodes with a lengthening list of the prior violations by the other side, and a growing thirst for vengeance.

Until this weekend, Democrats could say that shutdowns were a peculiar form of Republican insanity. Now it appears that they are bipartisan, which is halfway to being normalized. Even more concerning than the normalization is what it suggests about our politics: Both parties have strong incentives to adopt extremist positions and obstructionist tactics, rather than try to find some middle ground.

On the other hand, both parties have now conclusively demonstrated that shutting down the government is not a way to get what they want. And to Chuck Schumer’s credit, he seems to have realized this fairly quickly. He didn’t drag it out, as the previous shutdowns dragged out; he tried the tactic, realized it wasn’t working, and pulled back before anyone outside of Washington really had time to notice. Which leaves just a little hope that this episode may be less a sign of spreading disease than a sort of vaccination, a weakened dose that staves off a more serious sickness.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...bout-shutdowns

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    ........and then there's Stephen Miller, the condescending, hot-headed, unreasonable 32-year old A-hole, who had a reputation in high school for taking extreme positions in debate class and yelling down anyone who disagreed.

So basically, nearly every political poster on UF.N could be moonlighting as Stephen Miller. Got it.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What do you think of Adam Schiff’s explanation for opposing the release of the memo for public review and discussion?

https://youtu.be/P34zKSW1l68

We should all be grateful we have a guy like Adam Schiff in congress who is void of partisan politics, and heck, just out there looking out for the best interests of the American people.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    We should all be grateful we have a guy like Adam Schiff in congress who is void of partisan politics, and heck, just out there looking out for the best interests of the American people.
    Oh, come on. He just wants to keep us from having information that will only confuse us.

--Yeats

Until this weekend, Democrats could say that shutdowns were a peculiar form of Republican insanity.
    Only because that shutdown in the fall of 1990 has long since been forgotten -- and may not have even registered at the time.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    So basically, nearly every political poster on UF.N could be moonlighting as Stephen Miller. Got it.
    The right-wing trolls, anyhow.

This is a reasonable and compelling piece. I think folks here on the left, right and center will agree.

Release the Memo and Release the Evidence

http://amp.nationalreview.com/articl...o-and-evidence

--Yeats

All the sudden attacks on the FBI by the GOP points to something on the verge of happening.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-hou...er-blockbuster

Prediction time: Trump and his cohorts will be eventually hit with money laundering charges in New York State. State charges cannot be pardoned by a sitting President.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    All the sudden attacks on the FBI by the GOP points to something on the verge of happening.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-hou...er-blockbuster

Prediction time: Trump and his cohorts will be eventually hit with money laundering charges in New York State. State charges cannot be pardoned by a sitting President.

I will bet you are right about the money laundering charges. There could be some 1001 violations, too. Sound like Don Jr. might get one of those.

This is a reasonable and compelling piece. I think folks here on the left, right and center will agree.

Release the Memo and Release the Evidence

http://amp.nationalreview.com/articl...o-and-evidence

Release it all.

Below, you and Musser seem to be suggesting that Schiff and Nunes/Gaetz, etc. are two sides of the same political hack coin. I think they are coming from two very, very different places and trying to accomplish two different things. Nunes and Gaetz ere trying to protect Trump and discredit the investigaiton. Schiff has been trying to protect the integrity of the investigation. IMHO, Schiff has been professional . Nunes hasn't. The DOJ letter yesterday telling Nunes it would be extremely reckless to release the memo, esp. without showing it to DOJ or the FBI, was telling. So is the "secret society" hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Release it all.

Below, you and Musser seem to be suggesting that Schiff and Nunes/Gaetz, etc. are two sides of the same political hack coin. I think they are coming from two very, very different places and trying to accomplish two different things. Nunes and Gaetz ere trying to protect Trump and discredit the investigaiton. Schiff has been trying to protect the integrity of the investigation. IMHO, Schiff has been professional . Nunes hasn't. The DOJ letter yesterday telling Nunes it would be extremely reckless to release the memo, esp. without showing it to DOJ or the FBI, was telling. So is the "secret society" hysteria.
    We’ll have to agree to disagree about the purity of Schiff’s motives.

--Yeats

I am sure he is a member of the secret society too.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I am sure he is a member of the secret society too.
    The secret society is probably a drinking club or poker group or something similar. Sen. Johnson shouldn't have been running around talking about that lone text message with no context to explain it. Also, Adam Schiff should not have said his committee has "more than circumstantial evidence" of collusion with Russia. Joe McCarthy couldn't have said it better.

--Yeats

The secret society is probably a drinking club or poker group or something similar. Sen. Johnson shouldn't have been running around talking about that lone text message with no context to explain it. Also, Adam Schiff should not have said his committee has "more than circumstantial evidence" of collusion with Russia. Joe McCarthy couldn't have said it better.
    I'm thinking the secret society thing was a joke. As in those conspiracy theories that the governments of the world are actually run by a secret society of elites and the only way a guy like Trump could get elected is if they willed it.

Hey, I've joked about the same thing, because to this day still... how in the world did that actually happen?

I'm thinking the secret society thing was a joke. As in those conspiracy theories that the governments of the world are actually run by a secret society of elites and the only way a guy like Trump could get elected is if they willed it.

Hey, I've joked about the same thing, because to this day still... how in the world did that actually happen?
    the Pentaveret

https://youtu.be/YKRFlNryaWw

Wait. I thought UB5 was a secret society. Isn't it?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Secret in the sense of being unknown or obscure.
    Yes, that is the brilliant secret to our secret-ness.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Secret in the sense of being unknown or obscure.
    My history group is easily more unknown and obscure, compared to UB5, but to qualify as a society you probably need more than 1 poster, especially if said poster is the owner.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/flat...tics/index.php
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Don’t blame me for this. I can’t help it.

Conservatives are more attractive than liberals, study finds

https://www.indy100.com/article/cons...almaer-8181196

--Yeats

It is because liberals smell like sulfur.

Libertarians are drop-dead gorgeous.

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

For me one of the things that Trump routinely does to prove he is a small and petty man is his continued trashing of Hillary Clinton and incessant need to remind people that he won. HRCs little skit I’m seeing today that was featured on the Grammys proves to me that she really is no better.

Hard to imagine any other past presidents or candidates doing this.

Well duh. The pretty people don't want things to change or for the gene pool to be diluted.

With Trump saying he wants to meet with Mueller and his attorneys saying essentially “hold on a minute...” the Shakespearean idiom “hoisted by his own petard” comes to mind.

I hope Trump’s hubris causes it to happen. I think Mueller is leagues smarter than Trump and will easily corner him into saying something indictable. I’m not certain there was orchestrated collusion going on or not but there seems to definitely be an abundance of stupidly and a remarkable lack of moral clarity and understanding of the law in his campaign.

With Trump saying he wants to meet with Mueller and his attorneys saying essentially “hold on a minute...” the Shakespearean idiom “hoisted by his own petard” comes to mind.

I hope Trump’s hubris causes it to happen. I think Mueller is leagues smarter than Trump and will easily corner him into saying something indictable. I’m not certain there was orchestrated collusion going on or not but there seems to definitely be an abundance of stupidly and a remarkable lack of moral clarity and understanding of the law in his campaign.

If Trump's lawyers ever allow him to testify under oath, they should be disbarred. He would be a disaster. His ego and his penchant for narcissistic self-aggrandizing all but assures it.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    If Trump's lawyers ever allow him to testify under oath, they should be disbarred. He would be a disaster. His ego and his penchant for narcissistic self-aggrandizing all but assures it.

It doesn't matter all that much if he is under oath, because it is a felony to lie to a federal law enforcement officer if you are under oath or not. It is much easier to prove a false statement than it is to prove perjury.

But how does the President of the United States refuse to take the oath or refuse to answer questions? Probably doesn't matter anymore.

Yeah, Schiff and nunes/Gaetz are two sides of the same coin.

Schiff's rebuttal to the Nunes memo is "an extraordinarily detailed, point-by-point rebuttal of unbelievably shoddy allegations," Rep Himes, the number two D on House Intel, tells me.But, ominously, Himes doubts it will be released.