Thread: Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Hybrid View

No one can credibly argue that political discourse before Trump was healthy and virtuous. No one can credibly argue that he’s the first American to intentionally divide Americans by race, class, or religion, either. But a president can make our political culture better, or he can make it worse. And Trump seems determined to make it worse.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...politics-worst

Whether he is determined to make it worse doesn’t seem to matter, because he doesn’t care. He’s making it worse either way.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...politics-worst

Whether he is determined to make it worse doesn’t seem to matter, because he doesn’t care. He’s making it worse either way.
    Good article.

Here's where the counter argument about seeking immigrants who are highly qualified falls flat: many certainly don't want those immigrants, either. Example: Let's say a tsunami hit a small Asian nation that has a very high percentage of top tier, US educated attorneys. We're expected to believe we'll welcome those refugee/immigrants with open arms?

Please...

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Good article.

Here's where the counter argument about seeking immigrants who are highly qualified falls flat: many certainly don't want those immigrants, either. Example: Let's say a tsunami hit a small Asian nation that has a very high percentage of top tier, US educated attorneys. We're expected to believe we'll welcome those refugee/immigrants with open arms?

Please...
    Attorneys, no. Computer scientists? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Attorneys, no. Computer scientists? Probably.
    There's truth in that, although I know Canada is making a pitch to become a new Technology center, as it will be easier to get immigrants there... and for their families, Canada is a little more reassuring destination, more friendly toward immigrants (in general).

In the Biotech sector, Australia is on the upswing, immigrant friendly, with closer access to China (whom they've not antagonized). We've had some promising young researchers head Down Under.

Meanwhile, that terrorist mayor of London won't make his city friendly for Trump. Shame! And Trump has to lie (again) and blame Obama for choosing real estate in London not up to Trump's standards (when it was really "W" who got that change underway).

Here's an interesting question:

Given the highest ratings Mormons have of Trump, does Mitt still run? https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...p-in-poll.html

(Mitt took heat in his presidential race for being a flip-flopper, but in Utah I don't think that matters, at all.)

So... does Mitt assert his leadership in Utah and nationally as the moral & intellectual alternative to Trump, or does he fall in line like everyone else has?

Given the highest ratings Mormons have of Trump, does Mitt still run?
    If he wants to be a senator, he runs. Nothing about his positions or Trump's or his relative to Trump's could lead to him not winning that seat.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If he wants to be a senator, he runs. Nothing about his positions or Trump's or his relative to Trump's could lead to him not winning that seat.
    Just to mess with everyone, I think Mitt should converse in French for the whole campaign, once he's past the primary (of course).

Given the highest ratings Mormons have of Trump, does Mitt still run? https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...p-in-poll.html
    My hunch (maybe just a hope) is that Mormons approve of Trump policy (foreign and domestic) but not of Trump himself. That would make sense. But Utah Mormons loooove Mitt.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

My hunch (maybe just a hope) is that Mormons approve of Trump policy (foreign and domestic) but not of Trump himself.
    You're giving people too much credit. What they approve of is Trump's political party. Nothing else really matters much.

My hunch (maybe just a hope) is that Mormons approve of Trump policy (foreign and domestic) but not of Trump himself. That would make sense. But Utah Mormons loooove Mitt.

That makes sense. I love today's economy, stock market, low unemployment etc...... In fact in the past year I can't think of much that he's done from a policy perspective that's really set me off. Policy and substance he's done a decent job.

Having said that, I didn't vote for him nor will I vote for him no matter the strength of the economy. I have a resolute policy -- don't knowingly vote for sexual predators/harassers. It's the same reason I didn't consider Bill Clinton the second time around -- he was a well known predator. In a roundabout way, it's also one reason I wouldn't consider Hillary and ended up writing in a candidate. While Hillary herself didn't abuse others, she enabled the abuse. My disgust with serial abusers cross party lines.

And yes, I like Mitt. Would like him to be in his second term today. IMO, he was the right person at the right time for the job. We really whiffed when the country chose Obama over Mitt.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Life in the Trump Era, Part 2

Ronny Jackson: The White House Doctor Who Gave Trump A Clean Bill Of Health

I guess he's healthy, physically and cognitively. He's not losing it, he's just a jerk.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-17-2018 at 07:35 AM.

--Yeats

Ronny Jackson: The White House Doctor Who Gave Trump A Clean Bill Of Health

I guess he's healthy, physically and cognitively. He's not losing it, he's just a jerk.
    The Onion already revealed his cognitive tests:

https://www.theonion.com/presidentia...ngs-1819594219

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Jeff Flake's speech today:

"The enemy of the people," was what the president of the United States called the free press in 2017. Mr. President, it is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies. It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase "enemy of the people," that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of "annihilating such individuals" who disagreed with the supreme leader.
    This alone should be a source of great shame for us in this body, especially for those of us in the president's party. For they are shameful, repulsive statements. And, of course, the president has it precisely backward -- despotism is the enemy of the people. The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him "fake news," it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press.
    http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/politi...ech/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The Onion already revealed his cognitive tests:

https://www.theonion.com/presidentia...ngs-1819594219

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Speaking of The Onion, I thought this story line was great.

"New Report Finds Adult Film Star May Have Paid Over $130,000 To Cover Up Sexual Encounter With Trump"