Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 96

Thread: Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

  1. #1

    Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

    Afternoon game mid 50s and cloudy weather... Let's do this.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 11-06-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Afternoon game mid 50s and cloudy weather... Let's do this.
    Any injury status updates?

    I don't see WSU as unbeatable, but we need Sack Lake City to return somehow.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Any injury status updates?

    I don't see WSU as unbeatable, but we need Sack Lake City to return somehow.
    I think there are two ways to defend WSU. Rush 3 and drop 8 and bring 6 and man press. You need to change these two up and keep them guessing. I just don't see us getting much pressure with a 4 man rush.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think there are two ways to defend WSU. Rush 3 and drop 8 and bring 6 and man press. You need to change these two up and keep them guessing. I just don't see us getting much pressure with a 4 man rush.
    I'm more worried about their defense. Washington State has always (since Leach) had a productive offense, but the difference this year is that they have a legit D. We will have to score some points on Saturday.

  5. #5
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,625
    After watching ASU and Oregon destroy us on the edges, I'm less than confident about our chances.

  6. #6
    WSU has incredible speed on Defense now. It is a real change for them. They shut down Stanford on all of the side to side plays, and seemed to tackle the QB/RB at the handoff point deep in the backfield on a shockingly high number of plays. Alex Grinch has turned their Defense into a legit power, and I think it is likely he will get a few HC offers after the season.

  7. #7
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,081
    Agree with all the comments about WSU's defense and our defense's challenges. Our d-line can't seem to put much pressure on the opposing offense, which is not good for our 1-on-1 secondary; if our front 7 can't put much pressure on the opposing offense, then with a decent QB, our secondary won't be able to hold-up. On offense, I'm hopeful our o-line can be just average.

  8. #8
    FWIW, nobody really gets much pressure on Falk. They are stellar at max protect pass protection, and the LG was a consensus All-American for a reason. (Curiously he was only a PAC-12 Honorable Mention). Falk often had 5-6 seconds or more to stand in the pocket against Stanford. We almost need to rush 3 and drop everyone else.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    FWIW, nobody really gets much pressure on Falk. They are stellar at max protect pass protection, and the LG was a consensus All-American for a reason. (Curiously he was only a PAC-12 Honorable Mention). Falk often had 5-6 seconds or more to stand in the pocket against Stanford. We almost need to rush 3 and drop everyone else.
    Funny, for some reason, I was thinking WSU gave up more sacks than most teams. Usually, Leach's QBs take a huge beating over the course of the year. What are the sack numbers this season?

  10. #10
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,067
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    FWIW, nobody really gets much pressure on Falk. They are stellar at max protect pass protection, and the LG was a consensus All-American for a reason. (Curiously he was only a PAC-12 Honorable Mention). Falk often had 5-6 seconds or more to stand in the pocket against Stanford. We almost need to rush 3 and drop everyone else.
    It'll be interesting to see how Scalley deals with this.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  11. #11
    Yeah, so WSU gives up a ton of sacks:

    http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/f...nt/team/468/p3

    Part of this is just volume - they go back to pass more than anyone. But part of it is the scheme. Leach doesn't protect QBs - he uses them and then tosses them aside.

    Anyway, whether or not WSU gives up sacks in general, I don't think they'll give them up to us. We just haven't shown that ability this year.

  12. #12
    Couple of thoughts from the last game:

    1. Anyone heard about the bevy of injuries? I saw someone on here say that Blair is done for the year. Carrington? Fitts? Hughes? OThers?
    2. I love Kyle, but why does he leave the starters in so long? We have backup qbs, no? And no way Moss should be carrying the ball with 1:30 left in the game up by 73.
    3. I don't know his status, but Casey Hughes has come out of no where to be a solid db. I think he is actually better in run support, but he has been solid thru the air as well. Our dbs are good and young. Guidry makes some mistakes now and then, but the kid has flames and is getting to know the position as a true frosh. Johnson has been great because you never hear about him. Has he been targeted this year? Add in the solid safeties and we mean business nest year in the defensive backfield. We'll only say goodbye to Boobie, who is not my favorite anyway.
    4. On the other hand, our defensive line has been frankly a huge disappointemnt. Anae has been hurt but he gets little pressure on the qb. Fitts can't seem to stay on the field. Mokofisi and Lotulelei have been solid, but unspectacular. Leki Fotu has shown some promise. What happened to Max Tupai? The biggest recruit from a couple of years ago and I can't think of a play he has made all year. This is a problem when we play WSU.
    5. Sloppy beginning to that game. Both teams looked tired. I'm not sure UCLA is any good, but a win in the pac 12 is a win (especially in a year when we miss Oregon State and Cal).

  13. #13
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,067
    Pease said on Riley’s show that the way to beat this WSU team is to keep their offense off the field. It’ll be interesting to see if our offense can chew up clock this Saturday.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  14. #14
    One thing I saw yesterday pointed out the Faulk has been a different qb on the road. Much lower completion percentage, much higher turnover margin (and not just ASU). Hope that continues.

  15. #15
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Couple of thoughts from the last game:

    1. Anyone heard about the bevy of injuries? I saw someone on here say that Blair is done for the year. Carrington? Fitts? Hughes? OThers?
    Kyle said Blair may not be back for spring.

    No other season enders.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Couple of thoughts from the last game:

    2. I love Kyle, but why does he leave the starters in so long? We have backup qbs, no? And no way Moss should be carrying the ball with 1:30 left in the game up by 73.
    I would imagine Whit has been asked about this very thing but I can't think of any rational explanation for leaving them in the game. I was cringing on every one of those meaningless plays at the end there.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Johnson has been great because you never hear about him. Has he been targeted this year? Add in the solid safeties and we mean business nest year in the defensive backfield.
    Opposing players have only completed about four catches against Johnson this year, one of which was the huge one-handed grab by the UCLA WR.

    He completely shuts down his side of the field.

  18. #18
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,625
    Speaking about our secondary next year...

    Josh Nurse starting for Blair this weekend.

    Also, McCormick was on the coach's show yesterday and had this exchange with Reilly:

    Riley: "Who would win a race between you, Boobie, Fulks, and Guidry?"
    Troy: "I can beat Boobie and Kyle".
    Riley: "What about Javelin?"
    Troy: "No comment."

    Troy went on to say that he and Fulks were in the same region in Texas track, and they raced each other. Troy won with a 10.5 to Fulks's 10.8

    My brother did some digging around on the internet and uncovered this about Guidry: he won the Texas 2015 state 100m with a 10.4, then moved to California and ran set the California state record in 2016 with a 10.13. 8th place in the last Olympic 100m final was taken with a 10.06.

  19. #19
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,625
    Looks like we're out to exorcise the Demons of the White Pants.


  20. #20
    Brian Swinney‏ @thebrianswinney 5h5 hours agoMore

    Washington State has given up 7 passing TDs this year and intercepted 10 passes. They also have 3rd best rush D in conference. It's a very good defense

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Speaking about our secondary next year...

    Josh Nurse starting for Blair this weekend.

    Also, McCormick was on the coach's show yesterday and had this exchange with Reilly:

    Riley: "Who would win a race between you, Boobie, Fulks, and Guidry?"
    Troy: "I can beat Boobie and Kyle".
    Riley: "What about Javelin?"
    Troy: "No comment."

    Troy went on to say that he and Fulks were in the same region in Texas track, and they raced each other. Troy won with a 10.5 to Fulks's 10.8

    My brother did some digging around on the internet and uncovered this about Guidry: he won the Texas 2015 state 100m with a 10.4, then moved to California and ran set the California state record in 2016 with a 10.13. 8th place in the last Olympic 100m final was taken with a 10.06.
    Where are you hearing about Josh Nurse starting? According to the depth chart both Ballard and Afia would be in line to replace Blair and as far as I know both of them are available.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Where are you hearing about Josh Nurse starting? According to the depth chart both Ballard and Afia would be in line to replace Blair and as far as I know both of them are available.
    Yeah I was just about to post the same thing.

    Per Whitt Monday Afia is backing up both spots.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Isn't Josh nurse the jc walkon that never played a down at JC and switched from receiver in the spring? If he's our starting safety against wsu, no good.

  24. #24
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Where are you hearing about Josh Nurse starting? According to the depth chart both Ballard and Afia would be in line to replace Blair and as far as I know both of them are available.
    My brother texted it to me. I figured he heard it on the coach's show. Maybe not.

  25. #25
    Is it good or bad when Wilner picks Utah?

    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/0...-off-colorado/

    Washington State (minus-1) at Utah: The Utes showed life on offense last week, but that must be partially dismissed because of the opponent (UCLA). The Cougars’ performance on the road of late cannot be dismissed, however: Blowouts losses at Cal and Arizona in which Luke Falk wasn’t Luke Falk and the defense wasn’t up to the task. Khalil Tate’s success in the read-option will be a blueprint for Tyler Huntley. The Utes start fast and hang on. Pick: Utah.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Is it good or bad when Wilner picks Utah?

    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/0...-off-colorado/
    Bad

  27. #27
    What happened to Max Tupai?
    I've wondered the same thing. So far the other two D-linemen we signed that year have shown a lot more promise while not being nearly as heavily recruited as Tupai was. I keep looking for him but aside from special teams I don't think he sees the field.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Isn't Josh nurse the jc walkon that never played a down at JC and switched from receiver in the spring? If he's our starting safety against wsu, no good.
    He isn't a walk-on. He was a late pickup who sat out at Blinn with an injury. He is a player. Much better pickup than either of the two jucos who did not qualify.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Bad
    I actually think it is good. Of all the media personas out there, Wilner IMO has the best beat of the entire Pac-12.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. So far the other two D-linemen we signed that year have shown a lot more promise while not being nearly as heavily recruited as Tupai was. I keep looking for him but aside from special teams I don't think he sees the field.
    My opinion is that Max lacks the arm length to be an impact D End in the Pac-12. If you don't have the arm-length, you better have the speed like Pita to beat you on the edge. Max doesn't have that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Max put on weight on and move inside next year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •