Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    He isn't a walk-on. He was a late pickup who sat out at Blinn with an injury. He is a player. Much better pickup than either of the two jucos who did not qualify.
    I said he was a walk-on at JC (correct me if I am wrong) that never played a snap and that we offered a scholarship to as a WR. No reason Nurse can't be all world, but that's a pretty crazy story if it happens.

Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

I think we will be in a much better position to win if we don’t let WSU jump out an early lead. We need to strike first. Lately we have shown some ability to play catch-up, but I don’t like our chances against WSU’s offense in that position.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-10-2017 at 01:30 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Lots of Veterans Day stuff tomorrow.

I am *slightly* bummed though. They’ve been advertising the Flyover for a couple months, which had me hopeful we’d get F-35’s. We’re getting helicopters. Just not quite the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Darren Carrington and no Chase Hansen.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    No Darren Carrington and no Chase Hansen.

Gonna take a real impressive effort to pull this one out without those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Gonna take a real impressive effort to pull this one out without those guys.
    No Tautoeli either

Give me the replay of defensive holding on our LB on a run up the middle. What was that?

Really hurt to come up empty on that last drive of the half.

And I'm really tired of that reverse that keeps getting called.

3 turnovers on our side of the 50 and only down 10. (I’m looking for positives)
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

Defense without Fitts, Hansen, Tautoeli, Hughes, Blackmon and Blair now.

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 11-11-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    3 turnovers on our side of the 50 and only down 10. (I’m looking for positives)
    This was our game. Very literally gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Defense without Fitts, Hansen, Tautoeli, Hughes, Blackmon and Blair now.

That's over 50% of the starters, if I'm doing the math right.

Why are the stands emptying? We have the whiniest fanbase sometimes.

This team deserves support. At least cheer on the positive plays.

I'm hoping we can beat CU and get into a bowl, so the team gets extra practice and the seniors finish with a bowl. That's what we can still hope for.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-11-2017 at 07:16 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Stanford, USC, and WSU are all in their division races (SC clinched), and we were neck and neck with each of them. What does that mean? It means there are no good teams in the Pac-12. Have any of our opponents really impressed this season? I guess it's a down year for everyone.

I heard only a little of the game on the radio and just saw this. Did we really have 7 turnovers?

--Yeats

I am tired of the 'Fire Whitt' bozos. I get the frustration at losing games, but can't they see the same positives I see? This team is close to breaking through and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I heard only a little of the game on the radio and just saw this. Did we really have 7 turnovers?

Yes.
    And still had a chance to tie at the end.
    Vs the #2 Offense in the nation.
    And top 10 defense in most categories.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I am tired of the 'Fire Whitt' bozos. I get the frustration at losing games, but can't they see the same positives I see? This team is close to breaking through and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.
    I haven't seen any of them lately. Are they out?

Whitt is in the top tier of Pac-12 coaches with Shaw and Petersen.

Leach won today but gave us two more chances to tie than a better coach would have.

In a non game play related note, the lack of the advertised fly over for Veterans Day was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I haven't seen any of them lately. Are they out?

Whitt is in the top tier of Pac-12 coaches with Shaw and Petersen.

Leach won today but gave us two more chances to tie than a better coach would have.
    Sorry, none of them are here. Facebook/Twitter/UteHub are full of them.

some questions;

how do they not look at targeting when he clearly hit him in the head (out of bounds penalty)?

We've been called for ineligible receiver more this year than the last 10 combined right?

Do we have a screen play in our playbook?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    2 fumbles
    4 INTs by Huntley
    1 INT off a Hail Mary pass on the last play by Troy W.

Add in a bunch of injuries on defense and no Carrington, and Utah still had a chance at the end.

Not a moral victory, of course, as there is no such thing. But it is a positive that they didn't quit and kept fighting.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Not a moral victory, of course, as there is no such thing. But it is a positive that they didn't quit and kept fighting.
    I was impressed with the comeback, and I'm still impressed with Huntley. If the lines were just a little better this season, we'd be a ranked football team. It is encouraging to see the passing game have some success without Carrington.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    2 fumbles
    4 INTs by Huntley
    1 INT off a Hail Mary pass on the last play by Troy W.

Add in a bunch of injuries on defense and no Carrington, and Utah still had a chance at the end.

I love this team’s fight. I do think the future looks pretty bright.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Sorry, none of them are here. Facebook/Twitter/UteHub are full of them.
    I have to assume all fan bases have people like this? I bet a few Mississippi State fans are calling for Mullen's job right now.

We were the lesser team tonight (especially w all the injuries) but still had a chance. That at least was good to see.

Question: why not go for 2 after we scored the TD that cut the lead to 9 (before we kicked the extra point)? You have to get a two point conversion at some point, so why not try there? If you miss, you play differently knowing you need two scores, and if you make it you're down 7 and that gives you the option of going for 2 again when you score next time (and winning). Seems like a no-brainer.

Also, kudos to the d for making a lot of stops in tough situations tonight. We're still not getting pressure rushing 4, but we were effective overall in the defensive backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Seems like a no-brainer.
    A lot of people have written about that scenario in the past few years. They always agree with you. I think they are ignoring the psychology and momentum of football. You kick the extra point, and it keeps the pressure and drama high. It makes people act differently (like Mike Leach deciding to try to go long twice instead of running out the clock). I think the team down 8 has a whole different energy knowing they are only one score down.