Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Utah vs Mississippi Valley State

  1. #1

    Utah vs Mississippi Valley State

    Sedrick Barefield (sick) and Jayce Johnson (ankle) both out tonight


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Rawson is hustling tonight.

    Watching PVD he always seems to only be giving it 75% or so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Almost everyone getting minutes tonight. Duda and Reininger the only suited players who haven’t been in.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  4. #4
    With 15 minutes left Bealer has 20 points, 7 boards and 2 assists. He’s 6-8 from downtown.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,081
    Glad to see Rawson having a better game. FWIW...having the Wichita State vs Charleston game on TV. Have really liked the Wichita program; its players usually have really good fundamentals, on top of some talent.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    With 15 minutes left Bealer has 20 points, 7 boards and 2 assists. He’s 6-8 from downtown.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty good ball rotation to create most of those shots.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  7. #7
    How about seely and those dunks?

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How about seely and those dunks?

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    And 10 boards in 13 minutes

    The competition level is obviously low, but the hustle etc is encouraging.

    We’ve played most of the second half with our starters on the bench.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How about seely and those dunks?

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Very nice. Seely, Tillman, and Popoola are all athletes with good hops, especially Seely and Popoola. I'm hopeful they can develop and round-out the rest of their game.

    Still don't understand LK's decision on Jokl...at least not yet.

  10. #10
    Have to admit I was wrong on Bealer---he wanted the ball tonight.

    Popoola has a long way to go. But it would be nice to see him get minutes instead of Jake Connor.

    Kolbe Caldwell hit a 3---mark that down, could be the last one of the year--air mailed the next one. He is a good role player.

    Jokl will be back in the old country this time next year.

  11. #11
    Once Jayce is healthy, we will have an interesting scenario where our starters at 3-5 (Bealer, Rawson, Collette) are clearly inferior to their backups (Tillman, Seeley, Johnson) at rebounding. At some point, that could be switched up. I am not advocating for it right now as I want to see everyone against real competition in the next two and potentially 3 games and I think Rawson, for all his faults, brings some valuable things to the table that play well next to Collette.

    We have 4 preseason games against Ken Pom top 100 teams. Last year we had 2. I am glad that we will have a better idea of who we really are going into conference play.

  12. #12
    I really want Parker Van Dyke to be a good, contributing player off the bench, but he just looks bad this year. He's supposed to be a good shooter and reliable taking care of the ball. Through two games he has not shot well and has been very turnover prone. He's not the only one with those problems but most of the other guys have the excuse of being new or playing a much larger role than they ever have before.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Once Jayce is healthy, we will have an interesting scenario where our starters at 3-5 (Bealer, Rawson, Collette) are clearly inferior to their backups (Tillman, Seeley, Johnson) at rebounding. At some point, that could be switched up. I am not advocating for it right now as I want to see everyone against real competition in the next two and potentially 3 games and I think Rawson, for all his faults, brings some valuable things to the table that play well next to Collette.

    We have 4 preseason games against Ken Pom top 100 teams. Last year we had 2. I am glad that we will have a better idea of who we really are going into conference play.

    Our best 5 will be
    Johnson at 5
    Collete at 4
    Bealer at 3
    Barefield at 2
    Bibbins at 1

    They will be tough at home.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Our best 5 will be
    Johnson at 5
    Collete at 4
    Bealer at 3
    Barefield at 2
    Bibbins at 1

    They will be tough at home.
    That lineup would be physical and might be good at grinding out possessions but I think the paint would be awful crowded with both Collette and Johnson lacking the range the draw defenders away from the hoop. It would be tough for the guards to penetrate.

    I think that lineup will be hard-pressed to play defense on most teams, unless we become a really good zone team. Most 4s in college are decent shooters from 3-point range. Neither Collette nor Johnson is quick or athletic enough to chase those guys out on the perimeter in my opinion. Of course, from what I've seen from Rawson that isn't his strong suit either. We really need either Tillman or Seeley to grow up fast.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    That lineup would be physical and might be good at grinding out possessions but I think the paint would be awful crowded with both Collette and Johnson lacking the range the draw defenders away from the hoop. It would be tough for the guards to penetrate.

    I think that lineup will be hard-pressed to play defense on most teams, unless we become a really good zone team. Most 4s in college are decent shooters from 3-point range. Neither Collette nor Johnson is quick or athletic enough to chase those guys out on the perimeter in my opinion. Of course, from what I've seen from Rawson that isn't his strong suit either. We really need either Tillman or Seeley to grow up fast.
    I agree.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I really want Parker Van Dyke to be a good, contributing player off the bench, but he just looks bad this year. He's supposed to be a good shooter and reliable taking care of the ball. Through two games he has not shot well and has been very turnover prone. He's not the only one with those problems but most of the other guys have the excuse of being new or playing a much larger role than they ever have before.
    They always talk about the game slowing down for a player after a year—that does not appear to be the case for PVD. He misses open players & throws the ball away when he gets pressured. He can spot up to shoot but struggles to create his own shot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •