Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barking up the wrong tree... Utah at Washington

Barking up the wrong tree... Utah at Washington

Made no sense at all.

Kyle may as well have gift wrapped that with a card.

Tough game, the guys played their heads off, but we did choke at the end. Too bad.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Tough game, the guys played their heads off, but we did choke at the end. Too bad.
    You mean Kyle choked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worst decision of his coaching career.

We deserved that game. What a way to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You mean Kyle choked.

Yes, he got outcoached.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Yes, he got outcoached.
    I guess. I mean, he outcoached Petersen for 59.5 minutes and then made an inexplicable mistake. The onside kick, going for it on 4th, the fake punt. It was all brilliant. He just made a really horrible mistake at the end to undo it all.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess. I mean, he outcoached Petersen for 59.5 minutes and then made an inexplicable mistake. The onside kick, going for it on 4th, the fake punt. It was all brilliant. He just made a really horrible mistake at the end to undo it all.
    What do you think of the decision to start milking the clock so early?

--Yeats

What do you mean? We got our 4th down stop with 4 minutes left? Nothing early about that. We even threw on 2nd down.

What a season. There are four good teams in the conference. We go 0-4 in four games that we could've/should've won. Tough.

Gotta think it will be hard to rebound for CU next week after losing like this.

Yes, he got outcoached.
    Gets out coached by Petersen pretty much every single time.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

What do you mean? We got our 4th down stop with 4 minutes left? Nothing early about that. We even threw on 2nd down.
    I didn’t know what to make of it. That’s why I was asking. It does seem to me that the Utes are often in end of game situations where we need to make crucial first downs to run out the clock and can’t get that done; then we give the ball to the opponent with plenty of time to score; and then we let them march down the field, completing short pass after short pass, until we have them in the red zone and we try to win there. Seems to me that happens a lot with Utah. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe that happens just as much with other teams.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-19-2017 at 05:36 AM.

--Yeats

Maybe that happens just as much with other teams.
    I don't know if it does. Maybe.

We went run-pass-run on our last possession. We tried to pick up a first down. On 3rd and 12, though, I think running it was fine. Under that situation, it's tough to lose in regulation without turning the ball over (we figured out a way to do it, though!).

Remember last week? We had a chance at OT because Wazzu didn't run out the clock. They tried to ice the game by going long. It can work both ways.

At any rate, the play calling in the final 4 minutes was at least defensible. The timeout was a mistake, pure and simple.

Two thoughts after sleeping on it:

1) Maybe Kyle thought we had three timeouts? That would be a dumb but explainable mistake. As is, there's no explanation.

2) LA, maybe the issue is our lack of creativity on first down when running clock. We already showed willingness to pass - why not try it on first when is unexpected? Or try a run that is less vanilla. If you can get 4+ yards on first, running on second and third both chews clock and gives a shot at a first down.

Two thoughts after sleeping on it:

1) Maybe Kyle thought we had three timeouts? That would be a dumb but explainable mistake. As is, there's no explanation.

2) LA, maybe the issue is our lack of creativity on first down when running clock. We already showed willingness to pass - why not try it on first when is unexpected? Or try a run that is less vanilla. If you can get 4+ yards on first, running on second and third both chews clock and gives a shot at a first down.
    I don’t know if that’s explainable.

And, if that were the case, Kyle should have said that after the game.

His lame reasoning has done nothing but make this worse.

In this case we all have a free pass to point out the timeout mistake, because nobody will be critical of it more than Kyle. I think Kyle was aggressive the whole game and at that final moment that got the best of him. Just think, if this was the old days, our record would be 5-4-2.

This game did answer an important question for me and that is whether the guys would continue to play hard after a tough defeat against WSU. They played their collective tails off and that tells me that they believe in Whit and the other coaches and they believe in them. Sometimes you have a year when you win most of the close games and other years when you lose them. We have a lot of experience returning next year. We lose Carrington, the TE's and one OL on offense. I think Falemaka likely gets a medical RS. We lose Lowell, Fitts, Moko, Sunia, Kavika on D, but the guys who have stepped up when these guys have been injured have done well. I have no information on this, but it would not at all surprise me if Chase decided to give it a go in the NFL. He isn't getting any younger or healthier and he might just think that he needs to give it a shot now.

I was worried about this team after the performances against ASU and Oregon, but I see a better future. That doesn't mean I will be picking the Utes to win the south next year. Like this year, every game will be a dogfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

His lame reasoning has done nothing but make this worse.

I was in a baseball game onetime and playing third base. On a routine grounder to SS, the SS picked up the ball and inexplicable threw it to me at third. Nobody was on base at the time and the only play was at first. I was lucky to catch the ball. In explaining it afterwards, he said, I just blacked out there for a second and forgot where I was and what I was doing. Years later, I still call him blackout. That might have been a better explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think Kyle was aggressive the whole game and at that final moment that got the best of him.
    I can believe this.

Washington's season per-game average vs. what Utah produced last night:

Points allowed: 13. Utah had 30.

Offensive yards allowed: 257. Utah had 410.

Passing yards allowed: 156. Utah had 293.

First downs allowed: 15. Utah had 22.

Rushing yards allowed: 101. Utah had 117. (This is the only offensive area where we did not shine. UW has the best run defense in the PAC-12. And yet we mostly ran when we absolutely had to make a first down.)

So our offense did more than enough to win, against a great defense. Kudos to them and to Troy Taylor.

--Yeats

Kyle Whittingham attempts to defend bizarre timeout decision that doomed Utes vs. Washington

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...vs-washington/

[Clarifying edit: I'm posting this just because it's of interest to most of us. I don't think the timeout lost us the game.]
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.

--Yeats

Kyle Whittingham attempts to defend bizarre timeout decision that doomed Utes vs. Washington

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...vs-washington/
    We can talk about the timeout all day, and appropriately so.
    but the defense has to get the stop.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Utah's defense fell apart after the Huskies converted on 4th and 10. The offense did next to nothing on its last two possessions.

The timeout just ripped the bandaid off.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Completely agree. I think the timeout was the least of our problems in the last 3-4 minutes. We get another first down or two, we win the game. We stop them on 4th and 10, ditto.

--Yeats

Completely agree. I think the timeout was the least of our problems in the last 3-4 minutes. We get another first down or two, we win the game. We stop them on 4th and 10, ditto.
    Hard for old school football coach to not get conservative at the end of the game. I hope Kyle can learn to keep the throttle down & go for it—like Mike Leach. He did go outside his mold hiring Troy Taylor, can he stretch further & finish game by throwing & blitzing??

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Hard for old school football coach to not get conservative at the end of the game. I hope Kyle can learn to keep the throttle down & go for it—like Mike Leach. He did go outside his mold hiring Troy Taylor, can he stretch further & finish game by throwing & blitzing??
    Leach is not a good end-of-game role model.

We did blitz a lot in on UW's game tying drive. It worked...until it didn't.

We get another first down or two, we win the game. We stop them on 4th and 10, ditto.
    This is the case with the Stanford, USC, WSU, and UW games. Each one had 4-5 single plays that could have changed the outcome of the game.

This is the case with the Stanford, USC, WSU, and UW games. Each one had 4-5 single plays that could have changed the outcome of the game.
    True. I was mainly trying to say that the outcome of the Washington game hung on much more than just that one time out.

Frank Dolce made an interesting comment on the post game show. He noted that the
    failure of individual Ute players to make plays at key moments was a common theme this season. I don’t see that as a criticism. It’s probably more about the players’ experience and maturity than anything else. There’s reason for hope that next year we will see people making the plays that those opposing teams made, and winning games as a result.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-20-2017 at 04:00 AM.

--Yeats

True. I was mainly trying to say that the outcome of the Washington game hung on much more than just that one time out.
    I think all close games are like this. I can live with those kinds of losses. The time out is much harder because there was no reason for it. It wasn't about execution.

As for next season, yes, lots of hope, but I'm not sure about the defensive line. It is our weakest unit this year.

I think all close games are like this. I can live with those kinds of losses. The time out is much harder because there was no reason for it. It wasn't about execution.

As for next season, yes, lots of hope, but I'm not sure about the defensive line. It is our weakest unit this year.
    You could have a spirited debate as to whether the d line or the o line was the weakest unit.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You could have a spirited debate as to whether the d line or the o line was the weakest unit.
    I thought about that, and I would argue on the side of the Dline. But the fact that those are the two weakest units has to make everyone a bit nervous about next season.