Thread: The Matt Gay thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Some people will never be happy!!
    The parallels between religion and college football fandom are interesting. Consider your servant, for example. I am an active member of The Church of Ute Football. I love the church, pay tithing (Crimson Club donation), attend services (games) whenever I can. But I am marginal in the minds of some other members, who question my commitment. This is because I occasionally make jokes about the prophet (Kyle) and I don't believe in his infallibility, so, for example, I often say that I wish he would change church policy (approach to the offense). This upsets or irritates many people who have a much stronger testimony of the Kyle (Seattle Ute, Applejack, Sancho).

And yet I keep coming to services and cheering the kingdom on. The divine spark still glows deep within me.

All I ask is that the rest of you keep fellowshipping me. Don't leave me on the back bench of the chapel, ignored; or treat me with suspicion, even if I do read By Common Consent (the Deseret News) and occasionally quote it in Sunday School (discussions on this board). In other words, don't judge me because I sin differently than you do!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The parallels between religion and college football fandom are interesting. Consider your servant, for example. I am an active member of The Church of Ute Football. I love the church, pay tithing (Crimson Club donation), attend services (games) whenever I can. But I am marginal in the minds of some other members, who question my commitment. This is because I occasionally make jokes about the prophet (Kyle) and I don't believe in his infallibility, so, for example, I often say that I wish he would change church policy (approach to the offense). This upsets or irritates many people who have a much stronger testimony of the Kyle (Seattle Ute, Applejack, Sancho).

And yet I keep coming to services and cheering the kingdom on. The divine spark still glows deep within me.

All I ask is that the rest of you keep fellowshipping me. Don't leave me on the back bench of the chapel, ignored; or treat me with suspicion, even if I do read By Common Consent (the Deseret News) and occasionally quote it in Sunday School (discussions on this board). In other words, don't judge me because I sin differently than you do!
    By Common Consent sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    By Common Consent sucks.
    Seriously, it's the Stanford of Mormon blogs. Thinks it's better than everyone.

Seriously, it's the Stanford of Mormon blogs. Thinks it's better than everyone.
    I never read it but I hope it helps those who do.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I never read it but I hope it helps those who do.
    Me neither, just see retweets on occasion that scream out "snob!"

Me neither, just see retweets on occasion that scream out "snob!"
    Or that smugly say, “I am one of The People Who Really Understand.”

--Yeats