Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Matt Gay thread

The Matt Gay thread

Dude has been nails.

Let's BYU the f**k out of this.

I saw a tweet the other day that said that Matt Gay has made more 50 yard field goals this year than BYU has made in 50 years, or something like that.

Punter/Kicker U!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Punter/Kicker U!
    There’s something vaguely worrisome about the fact that year after year we have a star punter and star place kicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There’s something vaguely worrisome about the fact that year after year we have a star punter and star place kicker.
    I'm glad to know there are a few positions we don't have to worry about. Used to feel that way about the defensive line...

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm glad to know there are a few positions we don't have to worry about. Used to feel that way about the defensive line...
    I guess having our kickers as the stars of our offense is kind of like having our strong safety as our leading tackler. Not sure it's such a good thing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I guess having our kickers as the stars of our offense is kind of like having our strong safety as our leading tackler. Not sure it's such a good thing.
    Our kicker is not the star of the offense (we have a 1000 yard rusher and a QB who was #37 in pass r rating when he was healthy). Our kicker is just really good at what he does. And we happen to have an offense that allows him to showcase his skills, since we led the nation in filed goal attempts (32). And part of that is due to the fact that we have confidence in him. Most teams won’t consider attempting a field goal outside of 45 yards unless it is due to time (end of the half) or a game winning/tying attempt. Only 13 of our field goals came in the red zone, compared to 22 touchdowns.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Having good players is always a good thing. We have a few positions down, so we can focus on locking up the rest.

I think we will look hard at pass rushers and LBrs in the JC market this off-season.

:Confused:

This is the most bizarre comment. Stars of the offense? Have you ever watched Utah play football? Yes it would be great if we never had to punt or kick the ball and just drove for touchdowns, but amazing situations like that only happen in dreams. Be happy that our kickers are amazing. Be content!

This is the most bizarre comment. Stars of the offense? Have you ever watched Utah play football? Yes it would be great if we never had to punt or kick the ball and just drove for touchdowns, but amazing situations like that only happen in dreams. Be happy that our kickers are amazing. Be content!

After all, it's still called FOOTball.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

The Matt Gay thread

Our two kickers are the guys on the team who get the national awards and recognition. To me it's mildly unnerving and mildly funny.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-29-2017 at 02:56 PM.

--Yeats

#allgayallday

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

We've started calling anything inside the 50 "The Gay Zone"

Our two kickers are the guys on the team who get the national awards and recognition. To me it's mildly unnerving and mildly funny.
    Oh, so it's the fact that our kickers win national awards on the regular that unnerves you? More proof that whittingham hates offense!!!

The Matt Gay thread

Oh, so it's the fact that our kickers win national awards on the regular that unnerves you? More proof that whittingham hates offense!!!
    Don't you think it's really kinda funny that the only Utes who regularly win high-profile national awards are our place kickers and our punters? No need to find an attack on The Kyle in that. It's just a funny fact. Besides, I've been on the high road to apostasy regarding Kyle for a long time. You know that.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-30-2017 at 05:30 AM.

--Yeats

regularly win high-profile national awards
    How many programs have players regularly winning high-profile national awards? Maybe just Utah? Certainly not more than a few.

How many programs have players regularly winning high-profile national awards? Maybe just Utah? Certainly not more than a few.
    I love it that we have serial Ray Guy award winners at Utah and I brag about it all the time. It’s just an ironic observation that makes people smile a bit. Kind of like Mormons joking about how much Jell-O we have at our ward dinners. Laughing at Jell-O doesn’t mean we are laughing at the prophet.

--Yeats

I love it that we have serial Ray Guy award winners at Utah and I brag about it all the time. It’s just an ironic observation that makes people smile a bit. Kind of like Mormons joking about how much Jell-O we have at our ward dinners. Laughing at Jell-O doesn’t mean we are laughing at the prophet.
    No, it definitely is funny. There is a reason I keep saying that we are "punter u".

Particularly when Utah used to be decidedly anti kicker and punter in the Mac years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Particularly when Utah used to be decidedly anti kicker and punter in the Mac years.
    The name Ryan Kaneshiro still jolts my Ute Fan PTSD.

--Yeats

Some people will never be happy!!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

The name Ryan Kaneshiro still jolts my Ute Fan PTSD.
    Jesus man. Spoiler tag that or something. Why do you hate me?

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    True. It's sad that we have TWO finalists for national awards, and some people can only complain about them being the "stars" of the offense. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Mac only recruited Running Backs for the entire football team. All the other positions had to make due with the leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    The parallels between religion and college football fandom are interesting. Consider your servant, for example. I am an active member of The Church of Ute Football. I love the church, pay tithing (Crimson Club donation), attend services (games) whenever I can. But I am marginal in the minds of some other members, who question my commitment. This is because I occasionally make jokes about the prophet (Kyle) and I don't believe in his infallibility, so, for example, I often say that I wish he would change church policy (approach to the offense). This upsets or irritates many people who have a much stronger testimony of the Kyle (Seattle Ute, Applejack, Sancho).

And yet I keep coming to services and cheering the kingdom on. The divine spark still glows deep within me.

All I ask is that the rest of you keep fellowshipping me. Don't leave me on the back bench of the chapel, ignored; or treat me with suspicion, even if I do read By Common Consent (the Deseret News) and occasionally quote it in Sunday School (discussions on this board). In other words, don't judge me because I sin differently than you do!

--Yeats

The parallels between religion and college football fandom are interesting. Consider your servant, for example. I am an active member of The Church of Ute Football. I love the church, pay tithing (Crimson Club donation), attend services (games) whenever I can. But I am marginal in the minds of some other members, who question my commitment. This is because I occasionally make jokes about the prophet (Kyle) and I don't believe in his infallibility, so, for example, I often say that I wish he would change church policy (approach to the offense). This upsets or irritates many people who have a much stronger testimony of the Kyle (Seattle Ute, Applejack, Sancho).

And yet I keep coming to services and cheering the kingdom on. The divine spark still glows deep within me.

All I ask is that the rest of you keep fellowshipping me. Don't leave me on the back bench of the chapel, ignored; or treat me with suspicion, even if I do read By Common Consent (the Deseret News) and occasionally quote it in Sunday School (discussions on this board). In other words, don't judge me because I sin differently than you do!
    By Common Consent sucks.

By Common Consent sucks.
    Seriously, it's the Stanford of Mormon blogs. Thinks it's better than everyone.

Seriously, it's the Stanford of Mormon blogs. Thinks it's better than everyone.
    I never read it but I hope it helps those who do.

--Yeats

I never read it but I hope it helps those who do.
    Me neither, just see retweets on occasion that scream out "snob!"

Me neither, just see retweets on occasion that scream out "snob!"
    Or that smugly say, “I am one of The People Who Really Understand.”

--Yeats

Wins the Groza award!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.