Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pervalanche Thread (including the Jeff Epstein debacle)

Hybrid View

The Pervalanche Thread (including the Jeff Epstein debacle)

I like that term about what is happening now. Charlie Rose is the latest one to go down. It's well beyond Roy Moore. It's a phenomenon. So we might as well have a thread to discuss it.

Here's something that's a little off the current track, but it is certainly going to provoke discussion:

Sexual_Harassment_Tweet.png
    Sexual_Harassment2_tweet.png

Fire away.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-21-2017 at 05:29 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

John Lasseter Takes Leave of Absence From Disney/Pixar, Apologizes for Unwanted Hugs

John Lasseter, the head of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios and one of the most powerful figures in the entertainment industry, acknowledged Tuesday that he had crossed the line with employees. He is taking a six-month leave of absence.

Lasseter sent a memo to staff apologizing for making employees feel disrespected or uncomfortable, Variety has confirmed.

“That was never my intent,” he wrote. “Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form.”

Lasseter is taking a leave as several prominent Hollywood figures are grappling with allegations of sexual harassment. His name has continued to be mentioned privately, with a number of former Pixar employees telling Variety that he has behaved inappropriately and describing a culture at the company as “toxic” and “sexist” for women. His leave was first reported by the Hollywood Reporter....

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm advocating zero tolerance because I have a wife that's been in the business world over 25 years, and two daughters that are in college and entering into their professional careers soon. Bill O Reilly, Harvey Weinstein, Roger Ailes & Charlie Rose et al have no business being in the workplace.

However, I also have a son, so allegations of harassment/abuse MUST be credible. Allegations are not enough.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I'm advocating zero tolerance because I have a wife that's been in the business world over 25 years, and two daughters that are in college and entering into their professional careers soon. Bill O Reilly, Harvey Weinstein, Roger Ailes & Charlie Rose et al have no business being in the workplace.

However, I also have a son, so allegations of harassment/abuse MUST be credible. Allegations are not enough.
    "Zero tolerance" actually means your son might be wrongfully accused and yet lose his job

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    "Zero tolerance" actually means your son might be wrongfully accused and yet lose his job
    My wife's co-worker has a son who is now in prison over this.

He was 17, his gf 15. They had a consensual sexual relationship. He turned 18 a few weeks before she turned 16, and her dad pressed statutory rape charges against him. (I don't know the particulars beyond that).
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-22-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    My wife's co-worker has a son who is now in prison over this.
    In prison means there are bigger problems. To get there is a much more strict and strenuous process. Not that it's always perfect, but it's a far cry from someone losing a job or other opportunities for a simple accusation or allegation with no evidence or due process.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

True. Perhaps zero tolerance is too strongly worded.....but not by much.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

CBS and PBS drop Charlie Rose following allegations of unwanted sexual advances

PBS said Tuesday it was parting ways with Charlie Rose, and CBS announced it fired the 75-year-old broadcaster for “extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior” following an extensive Washington Post report that detailed his alleged unwanted sexual advances toward women.

Hours later, CBS Evening News reported three other women alleged they were subjected to “unwanted sexual contact” from Rose while working at CBS News.

His firing was announced by CBS News President David Rhodes, who wrote in a midday memo to the network’s staff that it was “effective immediately.”

“Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace — a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work,” Rhodes wrote. “We need to be such a place.”

PBS terminated its relationship with Rose and canceled distribution of his programs “in light of yesterday’s revelations,” spokeswoman Jennifer Rankin Byrne said in a statement. Rose’s namesake interview program is produced by Charlie Rose Inc., an independent television production company.

--Yeats

On Matt Lauer:

“To recap,” Jelani Cobb of the New Yorker tweets, “NBC shut down Ronan Farrow’s Weinstein story, forcing him to pursue it on his own — a story that ultimately helped create a climate where NBC had to sever ties with their franchise player. Definition of a bad look.”

And speaking of a bad look, “When a news organization fires a hugely prominent figure, it should have case ready to present to public,” Byron York adds. “Don’t throw two anchors on air who don’t know what’s going on. When CBS fired Rose, public knew overwhelming evidence. With NBC and Lauer, public in dark"
    https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/282011/

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Garrison Keillor now? Are you kidding me?

--Yeats

Sort of makes you understand the logic of having women wear burqas.

Seriously, working in an excellent institution headed up by a woman, I can also tell you there's a difference in the way (successful, non-ladder climbing) women lead, and, when you combine this with men being outnumbered by women as college students, and even up into graduate programs, there will probably be a shift away from male dominated, "patriarchal" organizations and institutions - though not necessarily a seismic change - and in a generation, the landscape for this kind of stuff will be dramatically different.

The sheer number of high profile instances is putting a dent in how women look at men, in general. (If Charlie Rose is capable of this kind of idiocy, who isn't? WTH?)

I had a long conversation yesterday with one of our researchers, a young, brilliant woman who thinks on a plane several levels above 99.99% of people. Not at all anti-male, she described her experiences at three US research universities, observed the male grad students tended to gravitate toward male mentors, where the female grad students were less likely to discriminate in who their mentors were.

This is very much how underrepresented minorities have behaved, ie, more insecure, looking for mentors who are "like them", etc.

We got into a long discussion of evolutionary biology and possible explanations for why young men are increasingly unlikely to pursue academic achievement, etc.

Fascinating conversation. Combined with the "men behaving badly" issue, we carriers of the Y Chromosome are somewhat under assault... largely of our own making.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 11-22-2017 at 07:19 AM.

The Pervalanche Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Sort of makes you understand the logic of having women wear burqas.

Seriously, working in an excellent institution headed up by a woman, I can also tell you there's a difference in the way (successful, non-ladder climbing) women lead, and, when you combine this with men being outnumbered by women as college students, and even up into graduate programs, there will probably be a shift away from male dominated, "patriarchal" organizations and institutions - though not necessarily a seismic change - and in a generation, the landscape for this kind of stuff will be dramatically different.

The sheer number of high profile instances is putting a dent in how women look at men, in general. (If Charlie Rose is capable of this kind of idiocy, who isn't? WTH?)

I had a long conversation yesterday with one of our researchers, a young, brilliant woman who thinks on a plane several levels above 99.99% of people. Not at all anti-male, she described her experiences at three US research universities, observed the male grad students tended to gravitate toward male mentors, where the female grad students were less likely to discriminate in who their mentors were.

This is very much how underrepresented minorities have behaved, ie, more insecure, looking for mentors who are "like them", etc.

We got into a long discussion of evolutionary biology and possible explanations for why young men are increasingly unlikely to pursue academic achievement, etc.

Fascinating conversation. Combined with the "men behaving badly" issue, we carriers of the Y Chromosome are somewhat under assault... largely of our own making.
    This is such a fascinating subject. In my work world of healthcare law I am surrounded by female colleagues. For complex reasons women are statistically overrepresented in that part of law practice. 17 of the 23 healthcare lawyers in our 4 offices are women. This makes for a very different environment. I really enjoy the added perspective of the female brain and life perspective. 11 of the 17 women are moms, for example. That’s just its own perspective. And I want to be careful about generalizing, but those highly educated and experienced professional women are generally just better at seeing matters in full human perspective than men are — and in my branch of the law we need that. I wouldn’t trade my mix of colleagues for any other.

--Yeats

I am not sure who Emily Lindin is but I strongly disagree with her. "Fixing" a problem where you transfer whose lives are ruined isn't solving a problem at all; its transferring it. Also had to laugh at her generosity in being willing to 'pay the price' with other people's livelihood.

I am glad that this is issue is being discussed and people are finding the strength to talk about it.

Garrison Keillor. I guess he isn't really above average after all:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

One of my politically liberal female partners says the part of the pervalanche that most outrages here is that guys like Keillor, Rose, Franken, et al., talked the talk of support for women, but obviously didn't walk the walk.

--Yeats

It’s fascinating to watch the politics surrounding this pervalanche (maybe it’s also a boor-alanche) develop. Conservative John Podhoretz:

If you believe Franken is an example of toxic masculinity and that toxic masculinity is an evil that must be extirpated, there’s no intellectual or moral excuse for supporting his continued presence in American politics. Even the effort to make such an argument reveals the way in which the virus of naked partisanship has overcome you.

Similarly, if you believe America has rotted away morally, the idea you’d hand enormous political power to a morally rotted person like Roy Moore reveals your own spiritual and moral rot.

Note, please, that that isn’t happening with the showbiz and media scandals. The powers-that-be that cut Charlie Rose, Kevin Spacey and Louis C.K. loose may have claimed the moral high ground, but these were actually appropriately ruthless commercial decisions about protecting their “brands” from contamination.

But there are no powers-that-be in politics, or there aren’t any longer. The party bosses are gone. Their places have been taken in part by ideologues, who now seem to exist to make the tough moral calls that just seem always to go one way — the party’s way.
    https://nypost.com/2017/11/21/sex-li...-on-predators/

His last paragraph refers to efforts to keep Moore in the ballot because Republicans want to keep that Senate seat, and arguments for allowing Franken to stay because he reliably champions liberal causes. I recommend the entire piece.

Like I said, fascinating.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-22-2017 at 01:53 PM.

--Yeats

I like that term about what is happening now. Charlie Rose is the latest one to go down. It's well beyond Roy Moore. It's a phenomenon. So we might as well have a thread to discuss it.

Here's something that's a little off the current track, but it is certainly going to provoke discussion:

Sexual_Harassment_Tweet.png

Sexual_Harassment2_tweet.png

Fire away.

Here's the thing LA, by bringing stupid comments like this into this board, you are bringing a stupid and idiot take into our lives that is designed to antagonize. That's a bad thing for you to to do. I come here for discussion; not to get antagonized. I unfollow people who do this on my twitter feed.

Here's the thing LA, by bringing stupid comments like this into this board, you are bringing a stupid and idiot take into our lives that is designed to antagonize. That's a bad thing for you to to do. I come here for discussion; not to get antagonized. I unfollow people who do this on my twitter feed.
    Sorry. I just thought it was a manifestation of the craziness we are all looking at. I doubt many people share her belief. I probably should not have posted that, and I will avoid inflammatory stuff in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.

--Yeats

Sorry. I just thought it was a manifestation of the craziness we are all looking at. I doubt many people share her belief. I probably should not have posted that, and I will avoid inflammatory stuff in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.
    On the one hand, it was inflammatory, certainly a subjective topic for most/all of us, here.

On the other hand, how many people may be (at least partially) sympathetic to that sentiment?

My sense is the "equilibrium" is rapidly being dissolved (probably for the better) but what will be the new consensus? The idiotic behavior we're hearing about *should* be banned from civilized society.

Depending on how far the corrective move is, I'll bet some strident feminists will feel vindicated... until a son comes home, fired from his job because he looked at some girl's butt. Or when some women are fired/punished for oogling a construction worker at their workplace, and a male coworker feels "objectified".

In my previous position, I was doing some work in the UK where we had a corporate office. A young guy, his desk in an open office, had as his screen saver a bunch of photos of topless women. None of the female coworkers objected, they didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, like the tabloid "page 3 girls" everyone saw on a daily basis. I thought this was an interesting topic, vis-à-vis our corporate headquarters sexual harassment policy. Mostly out of curiosity, I mentioned the topic to the office manager, whose response was "don't push your American values on us!"

("Still bitter over 1776?", I mused.)

On the one hand, it was inflammatory, certainly a subjective topic for most/all of us, here.

On the other hand, how many people may be (at least partially) sympathetic to that sentiment?

My sense is the "equilibrium" is rapidly being dissolved (probably for the better) but what will be the new consensus? The idiotic behavior we're hearing about *should* be banned from civilized society.

Depending on how far the corrective move is, I'll bet some strident feminists will feel vindicated... until a son comes home, fired from his job because he looked at some girl's butt. Or when some women are fired/punished for oogling a construction worker at their workplace, and a male coworker feels "objectified".

In my previous position, I was doing some work in the UK where we had a corporate office. A young guy, his desk in an open office, had as his screen saver a bunch of photos of topless women. None of the female coworkers objected, they didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, like the tabloid "page 3 girls" everyone saw on a daily basis. I thought this was an interesting topic, vis-à-vis our corporate headquarters sexual harassment policy. Mostly out of curiosity, I mentioned the topic to the office manager, whose response was "don't push your American values on us!"

("Still bitter over 1776?", I mused.)
    Nevermind. I probably misread what you were saying.

Last edited by LA Ute; 11-30-2017 at 06:30 AM.

--Yeats

Charlie Rose grilling Mike Pence over Trump’s Access Hollywood tape. “Character is an important issue,” Charlie says. All right, I get it that Trump was running for POTUS and Rose was just a journalist, but still....

https://youtu.be/mjGN7orhc8c

--Yeats

Charlie Rose grilling Mike Pence over Trump’s Access Hollywood tape. “Character is an important issue,” Charlie says. All right, I get it that Trump was running for POTUS and Rose was just a journalist, but still....

https://youtu.be/mjGN7orhc8c
    Sarah Huckabee-Sanders would remind us all that the public knew about Trump's sexual predation and elected him, anyway, so this issue has been exaggerated, where in the minds of the American people, it's a non-issue.

I think you're right, the Democrats are far, far too weak - Rose, Franken, Conyers, et al, should start stonewalling, and refer to the change in America's values, manifested by the election of 2016, counter attack on some other issue, and call it good.

Sarah Huckabee-Sanders would remind us all that the public knew about Trump's sexual predation and elected him, anyway, so this issue has been exaggerated, where in the minds of the American people, it's a non-issue.

I think you're right, the Democrats are far, far too weak - Rose, Franken, Conyers, et al, should start stonewalling, and refer to the change in America's values, manifested by the election of 2016, counter attack on some other issue, and call it good.

The nation has lost its mind in so many ways.

--Yeats

Sex abuse allegations expose the media's hypocrisy on Trump

http://thehill.com/opinion/internati...-the-industrys

“Not every horny narcissist with bad judgment is named Donald Trump.”

--Yeats

Satire is healing... at times.

Seriously, you have to think the pressure's on for the attorneys for Bill Cosby and Jerry Sandusky.

"If THAT guy becomes a US-freaking-Senator, then I *BETTER* not get any (more) jail time, damnit!"

Based on B Clinton, Trump, Moore, Conyers, one way to play these situations is to stonewall / deny and wait for the storm to pass.

Comedian Louis C.K. basically "came clean" on his accusations, and Al Franken seems to want to make amends, "earn back the public's trust".

Based on the outrage by people like Romney, a lot of Democratic women, etc, there may be an opportunity for both the nation, and for clean and/or honest or even contrite politicians.

- it's no mystery that politicians are on par with car salesmen and attorneys when it comes to trustworthiness. The bar is already very low.

- it's also quite clear there's a major problem in the way men - especially men of power/celebrity - and women interact. Too many men equate friendliness with "invitation", or at least "potential opportunity". We're hard wired that way, but unquestionably it's the wrong interpretation, some very high percentage of the time.

Just as how society has progressed from giving away daughters as property or economic good will, and from blaming rape victims for dressing too scantily, there's an opportunity to move forward again.

Maybe - just maybe - somebody like Franken can help move things forward, in the process bringing some respect back to the business of running the nation, ie, politics. Admit, apologize, endeavor to do better, get some others to join that club, and we might see enough healing to bring a lot of disgusted citizens back into wanting to vote.

I'm looking for silver linings, here, but remembering about how Bernie Sanders brought so many thousands to This is The Place Monument, a ton of youngster who *want* to believe in America, have hope for a politic process they won't be disgusted by, etc. These people aren't Trump supporters, they're not looking for revenge or persecution of minorities.

(I would put Romney and people like Mike Lee in the "worthy" camp, unquestionably, but they're battling for the identity of the Republican Party, which is in the process of being hijacked by right wing nationalists.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...c3a_story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Undercover journalism often involves deception, but the outright lying done here is beyond the pale, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats