Thread: Bring on the Mountaineers: The Heart of Dallas Bowl 2017

Bring on the Mountaineers: The Heart of Dallas Bowl 2017

Official web site, Heart of Dallas Bowl:

http://www.theheartofdallasbowl.com/

Salt Lake Tribune story:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...owl-on-dec-26/

The Smoking Musket's story:

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2017/1...bowl-on-dec-26

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I saw the WVU QB Grier dislocate or break his finger a couple weeks ago. So the first question is whether he'll be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I saw the WVU QB Grier dislocate or break his finger a couple weeks ago. So the first question is whether he'll be playing.
    The article said he broke his hand

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Whitt said yesterday it looks good for Huntley to play.

Cooper Bateman has left the team and will not be at the bowl game.

Interesting reading the WVU board. I get the distinct feeling they don’t know much about Utah football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Whitt said yesterday it looks good for Huntley to play.

Cooper Bateman has left the team and will not be at the bowl game.

Interesting reading the WVU board. I get the distinct feeling they don’t know much about Utah football.

I guess Bateman didn't want to be in Dallas over Christmas. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I guess Bateman didn't want to be in Dallas over Christmas. Sad.
    I can relate. I try to avoid Dallas at all costs....but the bowl swag might have persuaded me.

I can relate. I try to avoid Dallas at all costs....but the bowl swag might have persuaded me.

Good on you! I was set to head to Shreveport, but the day after Christmas makes it difficult for me.

Enjoy big D.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Good on you! I was set to head to Shreveport, but the day after Christmas makes it difficult for me.

Enjoy big D.
    Oh, I’m not going to the game.

Can’t get time off, you have to request that week off 9-10 months in advance in my line of work.

I was just saying if I was Bateman the bowl swag may have persuaded me.

I'm a little disappointed that Whit came out and said that Huntley would start if healthy. I think Williams performance against CU should have given him the opportunity to start his final game. I feel more confident with Williams at QB than Huntley, mostly because we seem to be able to run the ball more effectively. I guess WVU plays a very similar defense to Arizona. I think that helps us in bowl prep.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that Whit came out and said that Huntley would start if healthy. I think Williams performance against CU should have given him the opportunity to start his final game. I feel more confident with Williams at QB than Huntley, mostly because we seem to be able to run the ball more effectively. I guess WVU plays a very similar defense to Arizona. I think that helps us in bowl prep.
    dont they know if he is going to be healthy or not? Who is getting the reps in practice? Or is it just mostly the younger players until game prep week?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that Whit came out and said that Huntley would start if healthy. I think Williams performance against CU should have given him the opportunity to start his final game.
    Is this about rewarding Troy as a senior or about giving us the best chance to win? I'm not sure CU should be used as a gauge. The offense (and run game) were just as good against UCLA under Huntley as they were against CU under Williams. Those were the two worst run defenses on our conference schedule (maybe our schedule overall?).

Tyler needs experience, and to learn how to hand off the ball.
    If he’s healthy, I want him to play.

I think it was Riley indulging the other day who were talking about Zack Moss, speculating that he runs better when Williams is playing quarterback because Troy gives Zack the ball and doesn’t compete with him for running plays the way Huntley does. It also seems to me that Huntley is simply bound to get injured — missing a few games every season, like he did this year — if he keeps running as much as he does. Maybe the answer is for the coaches to dial Tyler’s running plays back — try to make the opposing team worry about him running, keeping them honest at all times so that they can’t cheat in coverage — but not send him sprinting into the secondary quite as often as he has been.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-17-2017 at 10:48 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Is this about rewarding Troy as a senior or about giving us the best chance to win? I'm not sure CU should be used as a gauge. The offense (and run game) were just as good against UCLA under Huntley as they were against CU under Williams. Those were the two worst run defenses on our conference schedule (maybe our schedule overall?).
    I think it is about winning the game. WVU's weakness on defense is against the run. I think we run the ball differently and better with Williams at QB.

Ours is the next bowl game up! Bring on the hill-anniers.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Ours is the next bowl game up! Bring on the hill-anniers.
    Fresno St vs Houston in Hawai’i is today.

Fresno St vs Houston in Hawai’i is today.

Dammit, I guess I should learn how to read ESPN's bowl game schedule.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I hope the offensive staff at Utah sat Tyler down with some video of Zach Moss during the Colorado game and said, "here is what Zach Moss does when he gets the ball and some rhythm carries vs. this is what Zach does when you pull the ball out and try to make a play on your own. Give Moss the damn ball!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I hope the offensive staff at Utah sat Tyler down with some video of Zach Moss during the Colorado game and said, "here is what Zach Moss does when he gets the ball and some rhythm carries vs. this is what Zach does when you pull the ball out and try to make a play on your own. Give Moss the damn ball!"
    I was just listening to Riley and Dolce pregame. Dolce pointed out that Huntley takes far too long to make the zone read, and it costs Moss momentum when he does get the ball. He said Troy W. makes the read much faster, and that Huntley has to get to that place. And of course he said Huntley needs to keep it much less.

Reports are the Siosi Wilson and Chase Hansen are on the “out” list.

Also Bryan Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Nope!

Okay. Maybe.

Wow. West Virginia backup QB looks awful, so far. Almost as bad as our kick off team.

I have a good friend who is at the game. His seats are four rows up basically at the 50 yard line. Cost him $20 a ticket. Is there even 500 people in the stadium?

Happy Boxing Day Utahby5!

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I have a good friend who is at the game. His seats are four rows up basically at the 50 yard line. Cost him $20 a ticket. Is there even 500 people in the stadium?

As expected, attendance is indeed awful. Thanks, and I hope you had a great Christmas.

--Yeats

good play call fake pitch and Hundley runs it in. That is how Hundley should run.

Jack Tuttle can start practicing that one

Both offense and defense lines came to play today.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

Last edited by U-Ute; 12-27-2017 at 09:58 AM.