Thread: The First Annual Utah Classic Thread

The First Annual Utah Classic Thread

Interesting piece from Kurt Kragthorpe. I appreciate that he has taken the high road as opposed to the tantrum most media folks have taken about Utah not playing the smaller in state schools (somewhat of a myth anyway)

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/12...-on-with-fans/

I will be interested to see if this 'Classic' lasts more than 3 years...

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Interesting piece from Kurt Kragthorpe. I appreciate that he has taken the high road as opposed to the tantrum most media folks have taken about Utah not playing the smaller in state schools (somewhat of a myth anyway)

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/12...-on-with-fans/

I will be interested to see if this 'Classic' lasts more than 3 years...
    This thing would be far more interesting as an actual tournament, and my understanding is that the NCAA won't allow that without it costing us the better November tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This thing would be far more interesting as an actual tournament, and my understanding is that the NCAA won't allow that without it costing us the better November tournaments.
    Yep. Personally, I think we went along with this as a way to appease some of the legislature that seems to like wasting their time on issues like 'Who are the Runnin' Utes playing?'.

I just looked up ticket prices and found that the worst seats in the house are going for 28 bucks. I imagine attendance will be terrible.

as far as entertainment value is concerned, its just not a great product. Four average to poor teams and few if any players that will play at the next level (maybe Tillman).

I cant name a single player from USU, Weber State and the only players I know from BYU are Haws and Childs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    as far as entertainment value is concerned, its just not a great product. Four average to poor teams and few if any players that will play at the next level (maybe Tillman).

I cant name a single player from USU, Weber State and the only players I know from BYU are Haws and Childs.
    As I told some people on Twitter, this kind of thing almost feels like a screw you to season ticket holders. The game is 4 miles from your home arena, but you have to pay $70 a seat for a comparable ticket, on top of the hundreds you paid for your season ticket.

As for players....I saw an interesting tweet the other night. BYU’s last game had a milestone. It was their first game this year when someone other than Childs had a dunk.

They had 14 dunks in their games....all by him. Who knew they were actually going with scholarship ward ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be more fun to make it an all day thing and have it be a state vs. state challenge kind of thing. So, let's take Washington as an example...bring in four other teams:

Weber St. vs. Seattle
    Utah St. vs. Eastern Washington
    BYU vs. Washington (or Washington St.)
    Utah vs. Gonzaga

Bada bing bada boom! Problem solved.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I think it would be more fun to make it an all day thing and have it be a state vs. state challenge kind of thing. So, let's take Washington as an example...bring in four other teams:

Weber St. vs. Seattle
    Utah St. vs. Eastern Washington
    BYU vs. Washington (or Washington St.)
    Utah vs. Gonzaga

Bada bing bada boom! Problem solved.
    I like this.

Caldwell getting a lot of action. I haven’t seen Tillman? Anyone know if/why he is out?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Caldwell getting a lot of action. I haven’t seen Tillman? Anyone know if/why he is out?
    2 personal fouls. Sitting until the 2nd half.

Battle of the brothers!

Btw utah was -6 four the game

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

What has happened to barefield?

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

10 point win for a game in which the refs decided they wanted to call fouls on whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    10 point win for a game in which the refs decided they wanted to call fouls on whoever.

Really good team FT percentage tonight. Nice way to ice the game late.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Really good team FT percentage tonight. Nice way to ice the game late.
    For the season the Utes are at 80% from the stripe. It’s been a while since we’ve been close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    For the season the Utes are at 80% from the stripe. It’s been a while since we’ve been close to that.

10th nationally. But even then there's a dark cloud to this stat -- Utah is tied for 197th nationally in FTAs per game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    10th nationally. But even then there's a dark cloud to this stat -- Utah is tied for 197th nationally in FTAs per game.
    Barefield (and to a lesser extent Bibbins and Bealer) has got to get better at getting himself to the line a lot more often. He's been struggling mightily from the field and he's someone Utah needs to generate some offense. Instead of jacking jumpers he's got to attack and create more opportunities from the line.