Thread: WTF - D-News Sports?

Wow. Nothing in there made sense. Not the headline, not the article. I don't think Doug understands college football.

Short answer, Doug, yes, it was 100% worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think he hit all of the Cougarboard talking points. Who got Bingo?

Put as much thought into, and made as much sense as a UFN political thread.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

What’s happened to Doug Robinson? I used to think he was easily the best writer among hacks in Utah. Then he disappeared from sports writing almost completely for many years. Now he’s returned and his single note is partisan rants about BYU’s decline. I bet these are unpleasant to everyone including BYU fans. There have been some allied topics, like his column late last year when he tried to give us a lesson about what Utah fans had lost by joining the PAC 12 (softer schedules and therefore easier road to Big Bowls). He spews old discredited myths like BYU has more pull internationally than any school, and cites irrelevancies like endowment size (contrary to his apparent belief, BYU’s is not that big for a privately funded school with 34,000 students but it’s irrelevant anyway), BYU’s big size compared to other WCC schools, etc.

This isn’t news. BYU has been in decline ford a long time, and for obvious and predictable reasons. It’s like Robinson is Rip Van Winkle. I want to say to him, okay Grandpa, that’s interesting. Now, isn't’ it time for your nap?

I read the article to which you're referring. In addition to being uninformative and not insightful, it was just HORRIBLY written. I honestly found myself wondering if Robinson has suffered some sort of mental degeneration, it was that poorly written.

I wondered the same thing, especially with the Deseret News’s editorial rigor and quality so so degenerate.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    What’s happened to Doug Robinson? I used to think he was easily the best writer among hacks in Utah. Then he disappeared from sports writing almost completely for many years. Now he’s returned and his single note is partisan rants about BYU’s decline. I bet these are unpleasant to everyone including BYU fans. There have been some allied topics, like his column late last year when he tried to give us a lesson about what Utah fans had lost by joining the PAC 12 (softer schedules and therefore easier road to Big Bowls). He spews old discredited myths like BYU has more pull internationally than any school, and cites irrelevancies like endowment size (contrary to his apparent belief, BYU’s is not that big for a privately funded school with 34,000 students but it’s irrelevant anyway), BYU’s big size compared to other WCC schools, etc.

This isn’t news. BYU has been in decline ford a long time, and for obvious and predictable reasons. It’s like Robinson is Rip Van Winkle. I want to say to him, okay Grandpa, that’s interesting. Now, isn't’ it time for your nap?
    Dick Harmon, Doug Robinson and Brad Rock aren't helping the already crippled Newspaper business. Honestly the D-News should just stick to Three Nephite Stories and Jimmer updates from China

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Dick Harmon, Doug Robinson and Brad Rock aren't helping the already crippled Newspaper business. Honestly the D-News should just stick to Three Nephite Stories and Jimmer updates from China
    In college three friends and I were driving to Vegas. The temperature was well north of 100º and about 30 miles outside of Vegas we saw an old beat up pick-up truck with an old man sitting in it stalled on the side of the road about a mile from an exit and gas station. Three of us jumped out and offered to push the guy to the exit, he had run out of gas. As we were pushing him one of us joked that if this had happened in Utah the next Sunday would be some three Nephite stories going around. The guy overheard us and said, "Oh... I can tell you some TRUE stories about the three Nephites!"

No escaping it, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    In college three friends and I were driving to Vegas. The temperature was well north of 100º and about 30 miles outside of Vegas we saw an old beat up pick-up truck with an old man sitting in it stalled on the side of the road about a mile from an exit and gas station. Three of us jumped out and offered to push the guy to the exit, he had run out of gas. As we were pushing him one of us joked that if this had happened in Utah the next Sunday would be some three Nephite stories going around. The guy overheard us and said, "Oh... I can tell you some TRUE stories about the three Nephites!"

No escaping it, apparently.
    I think you, Scorcho and DnF are the 3 Nephites.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I think Rock, Harmon and Robinson are sticking to those sensational things. They know that to get paid, they need clicks. They know that the best way to get clicks to get the the BYU fan base riled up. An informative, well thought out, hard hitting piece of journalism goes against everything that group of people stands for/believes in. Their whole culture is based around sensational stories and being a victim. It is what sells down there, because it reinforces what they believe, which is what they want.

Hmmmm, maybe?

i have been known to disappear immediately after service projects and sometimes during them.

Hmmmm, maybe?

i have been known to disappear immediately after service projects and sometimes during them.
    Stop with the ambivalent responses. We are on to you.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Stop with the ambivalent responses. We are on to you.
    make sure your food storage has been properly rotated and stocked

This is an interesting idea on how to make effective journalism relevant again.

https://andrewducker.dreamwidth.org/3616974.html

I like that idea.

You subscribe to a subscription level (let's say local, national, worldwide). Say, the Local is $10/month for X amount of articles per day from the local paper (SL Tribune). Or Unlimited access for $20/month.

Then the national gives you access to 10 articles per day from the local rag, and 5 articles per day from any newspaper out of your "local" newspaper area for $15/month. Or $30/month for unlimited.

Same for worldwide. The local paper would keep the local subscription (so, the SL Tribune would their $10 or $20). Then excess would go into a pot and be distributed to the other papers either based on clicks or have the papers come in and negotiate rates.

If the LA Times had 14% of the "national" clicks, then they get 14% of the pot.

Seems like an easy thing to do.

There has to be something better than just clicks to judge the worth of an article or journalist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    There has to be something better than just clicks to judge the worth of an article or journalist.

The Internet has been disruptive, and not always in a good way.

--Yeats

another D-News gem from Dick Harmon

Gonzaga did pretty well this past month with its NCAA seeding. As a national power, it usually gains treatment as a Power 5 program in the selection committee boardroom. The No. 4-seeded Zags defeated No. 1 seed Xavier before losing in the fourth round to North Carolina after star forward Killian Tillie missed the game with a hip injury.
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...a-to-stay.html

I don't know about you, but I will never forgot that legendary contest between Xavier and Gonzaga and that contest against North Carolina. Serena Williams scored on a late goal and I think Boris Becker had a touchdown

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post

The number of comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another D-News gem from Dick Harmon

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...a-to-stay.html

I don't know about you, but I will never forgot that legendary contest between Xavier and Gonzaga and that contest against North Carolina. Serena Williams scored on a late goal and I think Boris Becker had a touchdown

That’s funny. He’s a total mess. It looks as though they’ve since updated the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk