Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Pre-Spring and Spring Football

I agree with all the Huntley talk. I know Taylor loves the RPO, but I’d love for him to not really do that the first half of games.

Establish Moss. Then, in the third Q, that RPO will be WIDE open in the third quarter.

Also, concerned said, that 10-20 yard range will take Huntley from very good to great.

Finally, don’t be surprised that Huntley kept it so much. He was young and a runner. It was safe for him to keep it. As he matures, I’d expect that portion of his game to drastically improve.

When does covey return home?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    When does covey return home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking a look back at 2016 and 2017 offensive statistics. The offensive line was a complete overhaul for 2017, but I would say that the addition of Carrington made the WR group significantly better than the 2016 group and Moss was not as explosive as Joe Williams. Overall, the statistics are pretty comparable. What are reasonable expectations for 2018?

2017 2016
    W/L 7-6 9-4
    Points 29.54 29.85
    1st Downs R 133 144
    1st Downs P 136 118
    1st Downs Pen 30 23
    Rush Attemps 526 570
    Rush yds. 2,123 2,782
    YPC 4.1 4.9
    Pass Attempts 427 399
    Completions 261 212
    Yards 3,242 2,817
    Ave. per Att. 7.59 7.06
    Touchdowns 40 46
    Interceptions 14 8
    Fumbles lost 12 17
    3rd Down Conv. 35.23 38.34
    Red Zone 63 54
    Touchdowns 33 (.52) 27 (.5)

Rosen and Darnold both announced today that they’re headed to the NFL. Chaos in AZ. New QBs in So Cal. Could be a nice alignment for Utah winning the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Rosen and Darnold both announced today that they’re headed to the NFL. Chaos in AZ. New QBs in So Cal. Could be a nice alignment for Utah winning the south.

Casey Hughes to transfer. Per his Twitter (every time I try to embed a tweet it doesn't work...)
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Casey Hughes to transfer. Per his Twitter (every time I try to embed a tweet it doesn't work...)
    Man that stinks, and is a head scratcher. Here is his statement:

A7509D5E-E078-4DA1-99C3-66A64C2B26DA.jpg
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Man that stinks, and is a head scratcher. Here is his statement:

A7509D5E-E078-4DA1-99C3-66A64C2B26DA.jpg
    I think that like Jordan Fogal this past year who transferred to CSU. He could see that it is unlikely that he would be a starter and decided to go somewhere to start his final year. I doubt he is headed to USC or any other PAC 12 school. Probably MWC. I suspect we might see a few more in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think that like Jordan Fogal this past year who transferred to CSU. He could see that it is unlikely that he would be a starter and decided to go somewhere to start his final year. I doubt he is headed to USC or any other PAC 12 school. Probably MWC. I suspect we might see a few more in the coming days.
    Yup. I’d bet 100% that he was told he wasn’t likely to see the field.

Also, wouldn’t surprise me if Lewis is coming in to take his place.

The real question is, when do we see all the USC transfers? They are waaaaaaay over their limit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Yup. I’d bet 100% that he was told he wasn’t likely to see the field.

Also, wouldn’t surprise me if Lewis is coming in to take his place.

The real question is, when do we see all the USC transfers? They are waaaaaaay over their limit right now.
    Doubt this very much. Hughes was great for the most part this year. We will miss him.

onlyU, who is clearly very closely tied to the program, posted the following on Utehub yesterday:

Blackmon and Johnson will start next year. Tyronne Smith (played above Hughes when healthy) and Guidry add depth. Always injuries but you never know how that plays out. Casey wants to play and probably deserves starting reps in a normal situation but as of today he’s a 2 at either spot and depending on development and player additions may be a 3.

I actually think Raelon is 50/50 at this point to do the same thing so we’ll see. Bronson Boyd and Covey coming back next year along with a couple of potential signings next month and the wideout position continues to add ridiculous depth. If he goes he’ll land in Texas at one of the Big 12 schools. Rae is an NFL talent without the work ethic to get there. If he ever figured that out…man he could be good. Thompson and Boyd start outside next year IMO and I think Boyd will be our top wideout. He’s that good. Singleton (if he stays), Hampton, Wilson and ? behind them.Simpkins/Covey/Nacua inside…

Asked about linebackers, he said

Best guess today:

First group – Bryant Pirtle – Jr., Cody Barton – Sr, Donovan Thompson – Jr, Chase Hansen – Sr

Then – Devin Lloyd, Karsen LijenquistTennessee Pututau (90%), Andrew Mataafa, Sione Lund (2 – 4 Stars and a 3 Star) coming in.

Wild cards:Francis Bernard (I think he ends up at Wash St but will be interesting…still a slight chance at Utah) and Izaih Filititonga HS/TX

(interesting that he has lund as an lb instead of an rb)
    Last edited by concerned; 01-11-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Doubt this very much. Hughes was great for the most part this year. We will miss him.
    Ha ha. According to onlyu, looks like I was right.

Yeah, Lund will be a LB.

We are finally set at LB.

Thompson, Hansen and Pirtle and Barton. We will be very, very good there next year.

Whitt has also talked a lot about a 3-3 front (3 DL and 3 LB). We played that more toward the end of last year and with Gary in the fold, expect to see that a lot more. Hansen as a LB in that role would be amazing.

Three people that will change our season this fall if they can put on 20 pounds: Tyler Huntley, Chase Hansen and Caleb Repp.

Ha ha. According to onlyu, looks like I was right.
    I have no idea who onlyu is, but if he agreed with you that Hughes was told he would not see the field, he's dumb as rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I have no idea who onlyu is, but if he agreed with you that Hughes was told he would not see the field, he's dumb as rocks.
    Ha ha. You show your ignorance my friend.

Onlyu is very, very connected and has been right about everything he’s posted, from transfers to commits to players injured, playing, etc.

If anyone is dumb as rocks, it’s not him. It’s the guy that has no clue what he is talking about then goes around calling people dumb as rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    In general, I am more wary of "very connected" posters than the regular joes. Seems like the very connected get everything filtered through the eyes of their connection.

If onlyu has always been right, though, good for him. Sounds like me
    From my perspective, Utah is right. I have been reading onlyu's posts all season, and he is always right (can't remember him being wrong), and always has info that only somebody with regular access to the team would have.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    In this case, onlyu and aj can both be right. Onlyu seemingly suggests that Hughes would not start for Utah next season. AJ suggests that Hughes would get significant minutes. Those two predictions don't contradict.

Hughes should realize that no secondary goes through an entire season without injury. He might not start game 1, but he would start at times and see plenty of action.

Agreed. I think onlyu is saying CH would play, but not as much as he wants to, and the minutes may go down if everybody stays healthy and a new player or two develops. If we have injuries like this year, he may have ended up playing a lot. Like Fogal, though, he wants to start.

The most interesting thing onlyu said had to do with the possibility of Singleton leaving. that really surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    onlyU, who is clearly very closely tied to the program, posted the following on Utehub yesterday:

Blackmon and Johnson will start next year. Tyronne Smith (played above Hughes when healthy) and Guidry add depth. Always injuries but you never know how that plays out. Casey wants to play and probably deserves starting reps in a normal situation but as of today he’s a 2 at either spot and depending on development and player additions may be a 3.

I actually think Raelon is 50/50 at this point to do the same thing so we’ll see. Bronson Boyd and Covey coming back next year along with a couple of potential signings next month and the wideout position continues to add ridiculous depth. If he goes he’ll land in Texas at one of the Big 12 schools. Rae is an NFL talent without the work ethic to get there. If he ever figured that out…man he could be good. Thompson and Boyd start outside next year IMO and I think Boyd will be our top wideout. He’s that good. Singleton (if he stays), Hampton, Wilson and ? behind them.Simpkins/Covey/Nacua inside…

Asked about linebackers, he said

Best guess today:

First group – Bryant Pirtle – Jr., Cody Barton – Sr, Donovan Thompson – Jr, Chase Hansen – Sr

Then – Devin Lloyd, Karsen LijenquistTennessee Pututau (90%), Andrew Mataafa, Sione Lund (2 – 4 Stars and a 3 Star) coming in.

Wild cards:Francis Bernard (I think he ends up at Wash St but will be interesting…still a slight chance at Utah) and Izaih Filititonga HS/TX

(interesting that he has lund as an lb instead of an rb)
    My only quibble with this is about Singleton's work ethic. The guy has unusually tight hamstrings and has to be very careful what he does and how long he does it.

Chase Hansen is coming back

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...for-nfl-draft/

Doh!

Just announced that Singleton is leaving the team for family reasons. Obviously, a significant loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Doh!

Just announced that Singleton is leaving the team for family reasons. Obviously, a significant loss.
    Time for some young guys to step up!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Turns out, the only thing tighter than hamstrings, are family.

here is one assessment, fwiw:

He has announced he has left the program for family reasons. While I do believe that played apart of it, I think Boyd, Thompson, and Hampton were all a major part of it seeing as how they are all 3 very talented. Also, with guys like Nacua, Simpkins, Covey (coming back), Wilson we have enough depth to take the hit. However, he was our leading receiver coming back and it sucks. I think we have to get Olave, Enis or Harrison though.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    However, he was our leading receiver coming back and it sucks. I think we have to get Olave, Enis or Harrison though.
    I don't know if that's a reliable assessment. I think that theory would hold up better if the departure happened after spring ball. Who knows.

I do hope that the sudden opening looks very enticing to any of those three WR recruits.

Huh. onlyu was right again. Weird.

My way too early predictions for starting WR’s:

Boyd and Thompson on the outside.

Nacua and Covey on the inside.

This WR group is loaded. Just absolutely stacked. It’s crazy to look at the talent we have at that position right now.

I strongly disagree with his opinion that Lund will be a LB.........

Technically he said 50/50, so I'm only going to give you half a gloating point.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I strongly disagree with his opinion that Lund will be a LB.........
    That’s ok. But he will be right again.