Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

If Not Arizona, Then a Land Not Too Far Away: Utah vs. Arizona and Arizona St.

Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know. Maybe it was Utah.
    Well here we go...Arizona and Arizona St. One of the biggest home stands we've probably ever had, at least since joining the Pac 12.

The sweep in Oregon has set this weekend up to be huge for our postseason hopes...but really, that sweep probably enabled us to finish in the top half of the conference if things go well. Long way to go, to be sure, and we face these two teams in three weeks time down in Arizona.

Thursday vs. Arizona:

Ranked 14th in the AP poll and 17th in the RPI, and hold wins over three RPI top 50 teams currently.

Sunday vs. ASU:

Ranked 4th in the AP poll and 6th in the RPI, and holds wins over three RPI top 50 teams currently.

As for the Utes, they are 32 in the RPI with one win over the RPI top 50 currently. It's early, but even a split this weekend would be massive for the Utes.

Larry was noncommittal about Seely and Tillman today in his presser. Something tells me though, if those guys can go, they'll go.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 01-02-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Well here we go...Arizona and Arizona St. One of the biggest home stands we've probably ever had, at least since joining the Pac 12.
    I feel like UNLV was a pretty bad match up for us, and Arizona is worse in all the same ways. I think Ayton and co. neutralize our inside game, and without that, we are just hoping our 3's go down.

I know ASU is also very good, but I feel like our chances are better against them since they are guard oriented.

Arizona has 11 players who average 10 minutes or more per game. That probably changes to a much smaller rotation now with Alkins back.

Trier, Alkins, PJC, and Randolph off the bench all shoot over 40% from outside.

Ayton gets 20 ppg with 12 rebounds. We have no answer for him (no one really does).

Ayton, Alkins, and Ristic all rebound well.

FG% and FT% are high pretty much across the board.

The one things I've heard people say about Zona's title chances is that they don't have a true PG. PJC has a 5:2 assist to turnover ratio, though.

Our boy Akot has not done well. In 12 minutes per game, he has not scored or rebounded at all. His shooting percentages are very low.

As with every game we play, let's hope we are knocking down a bunch of 3's. Otherwise, it could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

Our boy Akot has not done well. In 12 minutes per game, he has not scored or rebounded at all. His shooting percentages are very low.
    DNP vs. ASU and only played 2-4 minutes against UConn, UNLV, TA&M and NC State. Let's hope he gets no minutes against the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    DNP vs. ASU and only played 2-4 minutes against UConn, UNLV, TA&M and NC State. Let's hope he gets no minutes against the Utes.
    I think he was the one who lost his minutes when Alkins returned. I'd rather face Akot than Alkins!

I will be interested to see the crowd tonight. Coming off a GREAT weekend, hosting our long time nemesis who is ranked top 15........

But the buzz isn't quite there yet. And I am not too confident in our chances tonight. But crazier things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I will be interested to see the crowd tonight. Coming off a GREAT weekend, hosting our long time nemesis who is ranked top 15........

But the buzz isn't quite there yet. And I am not too confident in our chances tonight. But crazier things have happened.
    school not in session will hurt too

But the buzz isn't quite there yet.
    I agree. It's too bad, too. There are lots of good ways to make fun of AZ this season. A fully loaded MUSS could have a good time.

I agree. It's too bad, too. There are lots of good ways to make fun of AZ this season. A fully loaded MUSS could have a good time.
    When was the last time the MUSS was fully loaded? Seems like the interest has not been there for quite some time. Product aside.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Per the Twitter, sounds like only upper bowl seats were available as of last night. Here's hoping.

Per the Twitter, sounds like only upper bowl seats were available as of last night. Here's hoping.
    Tillman or seely status?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I have two good seats left now, at the last minute. Anyone want them?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Tillman or seely status?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah +4 tonight
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 01-04-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Utah +4 tonight
    Yep

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 01-04-2018 at 06:34 PM.

I can report, Seeley can still jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I can report, Seeley can still jump.

Collette, however, cannot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Collette, however, cannot.

And he has a shooting range of 1-ft.

Barefield is lazy.

No show from Collette is killing us

Horseshit foul... Tillman had position that is over the back!

Well that first half did not go well.

Well that first half did not go well.

It feels like this team is close - just hit the open shots, get the defensively rebounds, etc. etc., But then you look at the scoreboard and you’re down 14.

So maybe we’re not that close....maybe it’s just what Arizona does.
    They are better in a lot of different ways, and it shows up in those kinds of things.

I’m hoping to see some good second-half play, but AZ looks a lot better tonight.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    They are better in a lot of different ways, and it shows up in those kinds of things.
    They are better at every position and off the bench. First time that has happened to a Utah basketball team since before Delon. I don't even think Zona has had work hard. Trier only took a couple shots, and they never really tried to work Ayton.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    It feels like this team is close - just hit the open shots, get the defensively rebounds, etc. etc., But then you look at the scoreboard and you’re down 14.

So maybe we’re not that close....maybe it’s just what Arizona does.

I’m hoping to see some good second-half play, but AZ looks a lot better tonight.
    I'm trying to think of a game where our starters have all been "on" at the same time. Seems like if Collette is playing well, we aren't getting anything from Barefield, and so on. We've missed Tillman, I hope he can stay out of foul trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Barefield is lazy.
    Maybe that’s why he sat out much of the first half? He has only 1 foul.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Trier only took a couple shots, and they never really tried to work Ayton.
    We cut it to 6, and they go to Ayton twice in a row. It'd be nice to have a switch like that you can turn on whenever you need it.

We cut it to 6, and they go to Ayton twice in a row. It'd be nice to have a switch like that you can turn on whenever you need it.
    It’d also be nice if they’d make Ristic take his tent out of the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It’d also be nice if they’d make Ristic take his tent out of the lane.

I just screamed 3 seconds and Walton justified me