Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOCAL is where my mind is... Utah @ UCLA and USC

SOCAL is where my mind is... Utah @ UCLA and USC

@UCLA 1/11 11PM EST ESPN2
    @USC 1/14 8pm EST ESPNU

If we can get a split then 3rd place is not out of question. Below are the stats of first 4 games. Besides Seeley being part of the club trillion (2 minutes played 00000000000 everything else. Oh wait he had 1 turnvover). PVD and Bealer have played like shit. No wonder Kolbe Caldwell has as many minutes as both of them combined. He's made more 3s. His only problem are the turnovers. In all honesty he should be starting. Solon was down on Barefield but honestly he might be the best guard in the conference. In fact, both him and Bibbins are playing like 1st team all conference players.

Players Minutes FGMade FGAttempt FG % 3PT Made 3PT Attempt 3PT % Turnover Points
    J. BibbinsG 155 21 43 48.8% 13 29 44.8% 5 73
    S. BarefieldG 142 19 48 39.6% 14 33 42.4% 2 69
    D. ColletteF 107 22 36 61.1% 0 0 0.0% 7 58
    T. RawsonF 132 12 27 44.4% 6 16 37.5% 11 42
    K. CaldwellG 89 6 11 54.5% 5 8 62.5% 8 17
    J. JohnsonF 66 4 10 40.0% 0 0 0.0% 3 16
    D. TillmanF 19 3 7 42.9% 0 1 0.0% 1 6
    G. BealerG 46 2 12 16.7% 2 8 25.0% 0 6
    P. Van DykeG 42 1 6 16.7% 1 5 20.0% 0 4
    C. SeeleyF 2 0 0 0.0% 0 0 0.0% 1 0
    C. PopoolaG 0 0 0 0.0% 0 0 0.0% 0 0
    Grand Total 800 90 200 45.0% 41 100 41.0% 38 291
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Per Riley, no Tillman and no Jayce Johnson (stomach virus)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Per Riley, no Tillman and no Jayce Johnson (stomach virus)
    Oh man. We are not good or deep enough to survive this injury/sickness stuff.

Isn't Jayce from CA? I wonder if he had family/friends coming to the game.

This is Jokl's big outbreak game.

Well tough to win when ucla is shooting 90% from the field with 6 3 pointers in the first 5 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Seely actually playing and Showing something

Bill Walton just inferred that Tillman has a stress fracture in his foot.

The poopoo platter with an appearance! We can beat these guys if Holliday ever misses

Sure seems like teams are hitting threes at a ridiculous clip against us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The poopoo platter with an appearance! We can beat these guys if Holliday ever misses

Yeah he didn't miss

I like what we've seen from Seeley tonight, but that's about it for the list of positives.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm glad that Larry had the good sense to get some of the younger guys playing time once the game got out of hand. UCLA was like 12-20 from three point land, and it felt like a lot more than that. I think we can all agree that if we were going to get one on this road swing, it was going to be USC, so here's hoping that the rest will pay off.

Looks like Tillman is practicing....

where's the shooting ucla? 0-6 from 3 midway thru the first half against Colorado. They had made 8 by this point against utah

Reports are that Tillman is warming up and looks good to go.

Players sporting some regionally appropriate tops during warm ups.

Turns out teams shoot a higher than average 3FG% if you give them lots of open shots.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Turns out teams shoot a higher than average 3FG% if you give them lots of open shots.
    This is embarrassing.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    This is embarrassing.
    Yes. There was a bit of hope after the Oregon and Arizona series that we could be a middle of the road Pac-12 team. Now, it looks like we are #10 in the conference. Brutal.

Yes. There was a bit of hope after the Oregon and Arizona series that we could be a middle of the road Pac-12 team. Now, it looks like we are #10 in the conference. Brutal.
    We've had the toughest schedule. We will sweep the wash schools next week.

I would place my money on Seeley over Boatwright in a fight. I think I'd put my money on any Ute other than Jokl over Boatwright.

I would place my money on Seeley over Boatwright in a fight. I think I'd put my money on any Ute other than Jokl over Boatwright.
    Bullshit double tech... they should send that to the league. Boatright was just pissed cause he was stuffed

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Bullshit double tech... they should send that to the league. Boatright was just pissed cause he was stuffed

What a dreadful road trip. Losses by 19 and 17.

What has happened to Barefield?
    0 points tonight. Only had 4 vs UCLA.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    What a dreadful road trip. Losses by 19 and 17.

What has happened to Barefield?
    0 points tonight. Only had 4 vs UCLA.
    Wild swings have been a part of Barefield for as long as we've known him. As a fan, you get your hopes up with each good game that he has finally broken through.

We continue to have nothing in the 2/3 slot. Bealer, Caldwell, PVD, Popoola. I know there was consensus here about Daniels needing to go, but, man, we could really use him now. He would get 40 minutes a game.

I didn’t agree Daniels needed to go.

When teams shoot against us like they did the last two nights, we will get rolled every time. That sounds like I'm staying the obvious, but this team is dead last in the league in offensive rebounds and steals, and 11th in blocked shots.

That season opening road sweep seems so long ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    When teams shoot against us like they did the last two nights, we will get rolled every time. That sounds like I'm staying the obvious, but this team is dead last in the league in offensive rebounds and steals, and 11th in blocked shots.

That season opening road sweep seems so long ago ...
    I'm hoping a visit from the Washington schools helps us recover some of that mojo. If not, we are out of contention for any postseason appearance. Tough pill to swallow.

Wild swings have been a part of Barefield for as long as we've known him. As a fan, you get your hopes up with each good game that he has finally broken through.

We continue to have nothing in the 2/3 slot. Bealer, Caldwell, PVD, Popoola. I know there was consensus here about Daniels needing to go, but, man, we could really use him now. He would get 40 minutes a game.
    I get your point on Daniels because a player of his caliber and skill set would be really really really (*6285337^9999999) helpful right now, no doubt.

I would modify your statement to "consensus among those who knew what he did and what would have happened if he stayed".

The final 20% of the season last year, we were decidedly better with him parked on the bench to boot.

I didn't see the usual effort from the players this time. Rebounding is mainly effort. It's never been a strong point under LK, especially offensive rebounding. Makes me wonder about the coaches' ability to motivate.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Rebounding is mainly effort.
    I don't think this is true. I think effort is important, but rebounding requires skill, instinct, intuition, athleticism, and confidence in addition. It's like any other aspect of the game in that way.

I don't think this is true. I think effort is important, but rebounding requires skill, instinct, intuition, athleticism, and confidence in addition. It's like any other aspect of the game in that way.
    It begins with effort.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Let's say that effort is a necessary but not sufficient condition.
    Feels like this is a good time to talk about synergy.

Did I ever tell you guys about asking Kodiak to speak to the alumni association after his first year coaching?