Thread: Whitt on the radio

Whitt on the radio

I've stated this a ton, and it's why I started a new thread on it, but Whitt is an open book. He may be the smartest coach in the country and he knows all before it happens.

I remember when he was DC, and he'd go on the radio and they'd pick games and he'd go through the games and say, "UNLV has a great RB and should have success vs NM's LB'ers. UNLV will win 35-21 and their RB will go over 200 yards..." The game would happen and UNLV would win 35-24 and their RB would have 208 yards rushing...And so on.

Anyways, he lets you know where the team is. When he says he is worried about the WR's, you know we stink there. When the DL is brand new and he says he likes their progression, know we will be fine there.

Anyhow, enough rambling, the point is, Whitt leaks a lot of stuff to the general public in his interviews if you are listening. So, he gets his own thread.

Whitt was on the radio with Bill Riley the other day. They talked about the defense at length. Anyways, here is the breakdown:

DE: Anae is a monster. Loves Anae. Riley asked who would start opposite him. Whitt said that Tafua is an Anae clone. He thinks those two will be trouble for defenses next year. Whitt also said that Tupai didn’t see the field at the end of the year last year, but that the light went on for him at the end of the season and he expects big things from him. He also mentioned, once again, that if Repp can put on 20 lbs, he’d be a force to be reckoned with.

DT: No one said nutin about this.

LB: He said that Chase Hansen and Thompson will be the main LB’ers. He said that they don’t use LB as much anymore. He also said that Barton was playing really well to end the season there. He did mention that they had begun “tinkering with the 3-3-5 defense” last year and we might see a lot more of that with Hansen at LB. I thought that was an interesting tid bit.

Whitt also said that they plan on taking 4 LB’ers in the class and expect some to play right away (Pirtle). He then went on to talk about how they really use a lot of LB’ers in the 4-2 front and they don’t need LB’ers as much anymore. So, I was wondering if what he meant was not that they’d take 4 LB in this class like he said, or if they only want to have 4 LB on scholarship, which would make more sense. 4 LB in this class, when we already have Thompson, Lloyd, Barton, Hansen and 4 more…seems like a lot.

But, 4 LB on scholarship seems about right. I’d think you’d want 4 at the least, 5 would be ideal, and 6 if you got special talent.

CB: We are freaking stacked here. He said what we all know. Whitt said that Jaylen Johnson played the whole season hurt. That he was never healthy and he is excited to see what a healthy Johnson looks like. He mentioned Blackmon, Burgess and Smith coming back from injury.

S: Blair, Ballard and Afia. He said all three played well and that they would be good next year. We are so freaking loaded on defense. It is insane.

Offensively, he didn’t say as much. He said Huntley HAS to put on 15-20 lbs. Then he said, at the ver least 15 pounds. He said Tuttle was the most prepared QB he’s ever seen. That Tuttle was coming here to play. That Tuttle was already spending a lot of time in the film room. He also said not to sleep on Shelley either. Talked about how he is a very good QB and will be very much in the mix for the starting job.

He also talked about Tua for Alabama and how freshmen QB's are ready to play. He said that Utah was the first to offer Tua, so they know all about him. He said that most of the top QB's have personal QB coaches in high school and so they come ready to play. He said that at Utah, they always play the best player, no matter what class they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    He also talked about Tua for Alabama and how freshmen QB's are ready to play. He said that Utah was the first to offer Tua, so they know all about him. He said that most of the top QB's have personal QB coaches in high school and so they come ready to play. He said that at Utah, they always play the best player, no matter what class they are in.
    Utah was the first to offer Darnold as well. Sure would be nice to get one of those kids once in a while. Hopefully Tuttle will turn out to be that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Utah was the first to offer Darnold as well. Sure would be nice to get one of those kids once in a while. Hopefully Tuttle will turn out to be that kid.

Mariota too, I am pretty sure. IIRC he was set to come here until Oregon offered toward the end (which was his first choice all along).

So it sounds like our evaluation of QB’s is good, we just need to seal the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    So it sounds like our evaluation of QB’s is good, we just need to seal the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    But of course here, we "sill the dill." Which may be the problem now that I think about it.

I’d also say that Wilson was a very good QB. I wonder if he would have been better with a real QB coach.

More Kyle on 1280:

He said Huntley loves having the ball and there were plays last year where he should have given the ball up. Said it’s to be expected with a true sophomore QB and expects him to be better.

8 players out for spring (see if I can remember):

Paulo, Capra, J Johnson, Afia, DHC, Thompson, Blair...and someone else. Maybe Hekking.

Andersen will coach the DT’s and recruit Utah. Scalley will recruit Texas full time.

Whitt thinks the athletes should have some way to get paid on their likeness and thinks it will be a big issue in the near future.