Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Our Mojo Back - Utah hosts Washington/Wazzu

Getting Our Mojo Back - Utah hosts Washington/Wazzu

Whatever buzz was created by the Oregon road sweep has evaporated after losing the last four, despite not being favored in any of those games. Last week we allowed both UCLA and USC to get off to hot starts and neither team looked back.

Against Oregon and Oregon St., the Utes allowed 66 points to each team. Over the last four games, the Utes have allowed an average of 85 points per game...and Larry has said we've lost a lot of our Mojo. Couple this with what Colorado has done and the buzzards are starting to circle around the program just a little bit...particularly on the Twitter.

Washington comes in having won two road games this year in league play, but most recently lost at home to Stanford...so who knows what to expect from the.

Wazzu picked up its first league win on Saturday against Cal, but I would still hope that they would be a fairly easy out. With this Ute team, who knows.

Larry seemed to open up the rotation over the weekend, probably partially due to the games being blowouts, but I liked what I saw from Chris Seeley, and I'm encouraged that some of the young guys are getting playing time. It will be interesting to see if that carries into this week.

With three straight road games coming up after this weekend, it is imperative that the Utes get themselves to 4-4 so that they are at least treading water heading into the Arizona & Colorado roadies.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Larry sounded pretty frustrated today in his presser. I don't think he's frustrated at the level he was last year, seems like he, like many of us, is frustrated with how soft some of these guys are, and the fact that they are missing open shots.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utah by 7

per Vegas--really.??

I had us 2-4 going into this weekend although I thought the path would be a little different than it was. This is the break weekend for us. Lose both or split and this season is officially over. Win both and we are still capable of a .500 PAC 12 season. This year is a lot like football except many people had unrealistic expectations for football. Turnover years with eyes firmly focused on the future.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I had us 2-4 going into this weekend although I thought the path would be a little different than it was. This is the break weekend for us. Lose both or split and this season is officially over. Win both and we are still capable of a .500 PAC 12 season. This year is a lot like football except many people had unrealistic expectations for football. Turnover years with eyes firmly focused on the future.

IMHO, the season is over regardless of the results this weekend.

Interestingly, I (among many) am hyped on next year's recruiting class, with two recruits nominated to be McDonald's AA's. I was disappointed the other day to see our class is ranked only 8th in the Pac 12, and 35th nationally. Reality check, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Interestingly, I (among many) am hyped on next year's recruiting class, with two recruits nominated to be McDonald's AA's. I was disappointed the other day to see our class is ranked only 8th in the Pac 12, and 35th nationally. Reality check, i guess.
    How much do you think the disappointment fans are feeling about this team is viewed through the lens of how Colorado has performed in its 6 league games verses how we've performed in our 6 league games? To me, it seems like that has heavily influenced a lot of the thinking, but I'd be curious to see what you think about that?

You do have to remember two of our recruits aren’t counted in that ranking. Doutrive and Charles Jones Jr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You do have to remember two of our recruits aren’t counted in that ranking. Doutrive and Charles Jones Jr

This! With Doutrive having the advantage of being able to learn the system on both sides of the ball for a year.

If you think you are going to make me feel better, you are sadly mistaken.

Playing pretty well so far. I love seeing Seeley and Tillman out there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nothing from Bealer, nothing from Barefield.

Bibbins on the other hand has been fantastic.

Free throws have been a challenge tonight.

Tillman with some clutch offensive boards allowed the Utes to take a minute off the clock, and then he hit two free throws.

Despite trying to give it away, the Utes get the win. I'll just high five myself here, guys.

Some credit to Larry K & his staff. They had a plan to attack the zone & followed it, even when Rawson went out early with fouls.
    Washington beats USC because of coaching or lack there off by Enfield, whereas Utes listen. & play together.
    4-4 would be nice after Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Some credit to Larry K & his staff. They had a plan to attack the zone & followed it, even when Rawson went out early with fouls.
    Washington beats USC because of coaching or lack there off by Enfield, whereas Utes listen. & play together.
    4-4 would be nice after Sunday.

I like this team. I like Bibbins. We don't have a go to scorer and our bench is thin. I think PVD is playing better. I think Seeley has a lot of potential. Tillman is way good for a Frosh (but a bit on the small side). If Barefield could get some consistency he is all-league. And Johnson is getting better. I think we may surprise some people by the end of the year

So here is a tidbit I heard last night at the game: when CH got dinged $10K for yelling at the head of officials, it wasn't because of the foul calls during the game. Hill was furious that the refs let Hurley get away with murder on the sideline all game long. It is widely agreed upon that Hurley is the biggest jerk and least liked among all the Pac 12 coaches, an asshole on the sidelines, and the refs don't do anything to reign him in.

So here is a tidbit I heard last night at the game: when CH got dinged $10K for yelling at the head of officials, it wasn't because of the foul calls during the game. Hill was furious that the refs let Hurley get away with murder on the sideline all game long. It is widely agreed upon that Hurley is the biggest jerk and least liked among all the Pac 12 coaches, an asshole on the sidelines, and the refs don't do anything to reign him in.
    that's interesting, Hurley got fined after the Colorado game. I guess he thought he had some additional leeway after paying that.

Last nights win was a relief, but other Utah teams would have buried a team like that. Sadly, I'm still convinced this team is just not very good
    Last edited by Scorcho; 01-19-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Just one time it would be nice to see him hit with an early tech...maybe he should just start every game out with one. No wonder Hill was livid.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I like this team. I like Bibbins. We don't have a go to scorer and our bench is thin. I think PVD is playing better. I think Seeley has a lot of potential. Tillman is way good for a Frosh (but a bit on the small side). If Barefield could get some consistency he is all-league. And Johnson is getting better. I think we may surprise some people by the end of the year
    PVD still can’t shoot.

He’s 2-8 from the game, and all 8 shots are 3’s.

For the year he’s at 32% overall, 26% from 3, 67% from the line and gets less than 1 rebound per game

I hope his game improves, but I don’t know that he’s the guy we want taking that many 3’s

Getting Our Mojo Back - Utah hosts Washington/Wazzu

As I watched that game it was from the same seat I’ve always sat in. The same place I’d always get a hello and quick chat from Big Rick as he went to the floor for all those years.

I looked at my parents at halftime and told them if this was the mid 90’s Majerus would already have been ejected for half of what Hurley did. The league has obviously told the officials to look the other way

I also find it odd Dr Hill was fined when his rant was picked up by the media for ‘public comments’ but Hurley who whines to the media only got a “reprimand”, no fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Same problem all season. We keep trying Bealer, Caldwell, and PVD in that 5th man role. All we need is someone who will (1) hit open threes, (2) play energetic defense, and (3) not turn the ball over. We can't seem to find someone to make it work.
    Swinney made an interesting point on his podcast this week (I listened to the whole thing while I was home, sick). He said Utah has too many "marginal PAC-12 players" on the roster. I think he's right, and that's why we can't find the "someone to make it work." We need 2-3 more true PAC-12 talents on the team. Maybe next year's incoming players from the strong recruiting class will be the answer going forward.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I looked at my parents at halftime and told them if this was the mid 90’s Majerus would already have been ejected for half of what Hurley did. The league has obviously told the officials to look the other way

I also find it odd Dr Hill was fined when his rant was picked up by the media for ‘public comments’ but Hurley who whines to the media only got a “reprimand”, no fine.
    Hurley learned from the master.

CoachKAngry.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Swinney made an interesting point on his podcast this week (I listened to the whole thing while I was home, sick). He said Utah has too many "marginal PAC-12 players" on the roster. I think he's right, and that's why we can't find the "someone to make it work." We need 2-3 more true PAC-12 talents on the team.
    I agree with this.
    When the Utes played AZ, the only player on Utah who "looked" like an AZ-type athlete was Tillman.

Bibbins gets a lot out of his body and I love watching him play. I am concerned that he led the team in rebounds last night.
    Johnson has a Pac-12 body and he gives effort. I'm wondering when/if it will "click" for him on the offensive end.
    Barefield shows flashes, but he has been MIA for two weeks.

Collette plays hard, but I think, deep-down, he is really a MWC player, Rawson has over-achieved, and PVD is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Seeley is fun to watch. He made the "money" gesture to USC when some player (I forget which) got in his face, and vs. Washington he just smiled at a staredown. I like him.

Finally, on TV last night the Huntsman Center looked like the entire top level was empty. Was this the case?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Finally, on TV last night the Huntsman Center looked like the entire top level was empty. Was this the case?
    I couldn’t make the game, I didn’t want to leave 30 minutes in to get to work

I think an 8PM tip on a week night, coupled with the losing streak didn’t help.

And I’m sure I-15 being completely closed from 9000 S to I-215 from 7:20 PM on didn’t help....the roads were disasters, nowhere for people to go.

I couldn’t make the game, I didn’t want to leave 30 minutes in to get to work

I think an 8PM tip on a week night, coupled with the losing streak didn’t help.

And I’m sure I-15 being completely closed from 9000 S to I-215 from 7:20 PM on didn’t help....the roads were disasters, nowhere for people to go.

Not entirely; there were some people sitting in the upper level, both at mid court and above the Muss. The Muss turnout was surprisingly good under the circumstances I thought. it was mostly full below concourse. But overall the crowd was sparse. Lots of empty seats below the concourse. Sunday could be really brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Swinney made an interesting point on his podcast this week (I listened to the whole thing while I was home, sick). He said Utah has too many "marginal PAC-12 players" on the roster. I think he's right, and that's why we can't find the "someone to make it work." We need 2-3 more true PAC-12 talents on the team. Maybe next year's incoming players from the strong recruiting class will be the answer going forward.
    Pre comment note: I am not directing this at LA Ute or anyone else, I just quote it here because the comment led me to the podcast.

I get a kick out of Swinney when he breaks down basketball, so after reading your comment I headed over and found the segment. Swinney did not disappoint! Among my favorites (his quotes are in quotes, as best as I could get)

"Problem is, your best guy is sitting on the bench right now with an injury in Donnie Tillman" (Tillman played 27 minutes against USC and scored 10 points with 4 boards- one of the few bright spots)

"We haven't seen development out of Jayce Johnson. Essentially none." (This has to be a joke. Hes no Poeltl but no one who has paid attention would say this. This was on the heels of a 14 point, 9 board game, the best of his career)

"Your best offensive weapon is Tyler Rawson" (I am a Rawson supporter, but he is the 5th leading scorer in conference play.)

"Youre not finishing in the top half of the conference if Tyler Rawson is your best player." (Yeah.........but............ughhhhhhhhhh)

It got better from there but these were some of the worst takes Ive ever heard.

Maybe we need to up our self appointed media folks from MWC to Pac-12 levels? I mean Swinney couldn’t even stay retired for an entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I wonder if we'll give up on starting Bealer/Caldwell/PVD and start Tillman as a SF instead.
    He's started the last two. I imagine he will stay there.