Thread: Elementary, my dear Watkins. Utah's new President

Elementary, my dear Watkins. Utah's new President

Utah has announced it's new president to be Ruth Watkins, the schools first female president.

The Utah State Board of Regents has selected Ruth V. Watkins as the 16th president of the University of Utah.Watkins is the first woman to lead the University of Utah — the state’s oldest, largest and only Research 1 higher education institution — in its 168-year history. (Jerilyn S. McIntyre served as interim president of the U twice, for two months in 1991 and all of 1997.) Watkins will assume the position this spring – an exact date will be determined in the coming weeks.
    She succeeds David W. Pershing, who has served as president since 2012 and will officially step down to rejoin the U as a faculty member.
    “Dr. Watkins brings both an outside perspective based on years of leadership experience at the University of Illinois as well as significant familiarity with the University of Utah where she has served as senior vice president and provost since 2013,” said Daniel W. Campbell, chair of the Board of Regents. “She is a collaborative leader who is committed to ensuring exceptional educational and research opportunities for students and faculty. She also is widely respected by our community partners. Dr. Watkins’ vision and dedication will ensure the U excels in the years ahead.”
    A 25-member Presidential Search Committee, co-chaired by David Burton, chair of the U’s Board of Trustees, and Board of Regents Vice Chair Harris H. Simmons, selected Watkins from a pool of national candidates as one of three finalists announced Jan. 12.
    “In all measures, Dr. Watkins rose to the top in our national search for the next president to lead the U,” said David L. Buhler, commissioner of higher education. “She is a superb and energetic administrator and a proven fundraiser who understands our community and will be able to continue the momentum of our flagship university.”
    Watkins currently is senior vice president for Academic Affairs at the U, a position she assumed in August 2013. In that role, she has worked closely with campus leaders to set the university’s strategic direction and align the U’s resources with its academic priorities. She has been an advocate for advancing the success and impact of the U as a top-tier research university, including enhancing student success through degree completion and expanding research and creative activity.
    “I am deeply honored to have this opportunity to lead the University of Utah and offer my thanks to the Board of Regents, the university’s Board of Trustees and the search committee for their confidence in me,” Watkins said. “The University of Utah plays a vital role in the state, and increasingly the nation, in path-breaking research that solves societal challenges and educational opportunities that transform lives. My goal is to ensure that we continue and accelerate this trajectory in the years ahead.”
    Watkins came to Utah from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where she spent 20 years in leadership and faculty roles, including associate provost for Undergraduate Education, vice provost and chief of staff, and dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. She began her academic career at the University of Texas at Dallas.
    Watkins graduated with highest honors from the University of Northern Iowa with a Bachelor of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology. She earned a master’s degree and a doctorate in child language at the University of Kansas; her scholarship focuses on communication development and disabilities in young children. Watkins’ research and training endeavors have been funded by the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Education, as well as Lumina Foundation. She also has a Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology. In 2003, she was named a fellow of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

She has a doctorate in “child language” ?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    She has a doctorate in “child language” ?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    http://cldp.ku.edu

Dr Watkins obtained her masters and doctorate in this program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for her and for the U. I wish her great success! I think her academic credentials are a little underwhelming compared to recent prior U. presidents (Gardner, Peterson, Smith, Machen, Young) but it looks like she's actually a professional higher ed administrator as much as she's an academic, and that's most of what the job entails. Onward and upward!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Good for her and for the U. I wish her great success! I think her academic credentials are a little underwhelming compared to recent prior U. presidents (Gardner, Peterson, Smith, Machen, Young) but it looks like she's actually a professional higher ed administrator as much as she's an academic, and that's most of what the job entails. Onward and upward!

She is extremely highly regarded among the faculty and administration. Beloved, really, from what I understand. Enthusiastically supported.

And she isnt having an affair with an Eccles, at least publicly. so she has that going for her too.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is her honeymoon phase. She gets 2 years; then the complaints start coming. In 6 years, she'll be ready to become president at some other university.

True. You either piss off the faculty or you piss off the legislature, or both. Or Huntsman. It is a zero sum game.