Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Clearly, this is a major error in an individual case.

The drug is still in its patent period, the Pharmaceutical is recouping the costs of R&D, marketing, and getting a handsome profit for their shareholders. Was this a case of the U being completely "off" in their markup, or was the U getting worked by the Pharma compared to the pricing Intermountain got? Something's not adding up.

I would have your friend reach out to Senior VP of Health Sciences Vivian Lee, who is a directing the U's effort to better quantify the costs that makeup the "price" of a procedure, healthcare stay, medication, etc.

I've met Dr. Lee, she's the real deal, the U is lucky to have her level of leadership and impact. I'm certain Dr. Lee would want to hear from your friend, this is the kind of situation she's been talking about, internally.
I'm not sure that is correct. The drug has been around for close to 20 years. The pharma company offers reimbursement of up to 20k per year to individuals for their out-of-pocket costs. However, the reimbursement is not available for out-of-pocket costs of anyone with medicare or medicaid.