Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It amazes me how many people think there isn't a reason to lock their doors in salt lake.
    Do you think police are jaded though, since you see all the really bad stuff? On thanksgiving day someone tried my door and rang the bell at 6:00 AM and then took off once I came to the door. It was some white hipster driving a prius, either a drunk college kid or looking to make a quick grab (we had a couple of newspapers on the front lawn). I called the cops and they came just to take a report. The officer was extremely nice but told me over and over that I "absolutely" needed to get an alarm system. I understand that I live in a city with a lot of crime, but we're in a relatively peaceful neighborhood and we are definitely not in the nicest house around.

I just wonder if because you see so much crime and hear about the worst of the worst you get over-sensitized to it. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Do you think police are jaded though, since you see all the really bad stuff? On thanksgiving day someone tried my door and rang the bell at 6:00 AM and then took off once I came to the door. It was some white hipster driving a prius, either a drunk college kid or looking to make a quick grab (we had a couple of newspapers on the front lawn). I called the cops and they came just to take a report. The officer was extremely nice but told me over and over that I "absolutely" needed to get an alarm system. I understand that I live in a city with a lot of crime, but we're in a relatively peaceful neighborhood and we are definitely not in the nicest house around.

I just wonder if because you see so much crime and hear about the worst of the worst you get over-sensitized to it. Who knows.
    Nope. I see constantly how thieves are like water and electricity. They take the path of least resistance.

They look for open garages, unlocked cars, cars with things left inside and unsecured houses.

I see how often a drunk college kid wanders into an unlocked house because they think it's their friends. A locked door keeps that from happening.

Property crimes are usually ones of opportunity. If you make it harder you're far less likely to be a victim. And frankly why not lock doors, it's not that hard to do is it?

(if you tell me you warm up your car we'll have to have another talk)

:raises hand sheepishly:

Nope. I see constantly how thieves are like water and electricity. They take the path of least resistance.

They look for open garages, unlocked cars, cars with things left inside and unsecured houses.

I see how often a drunk college kid wanders into an unlocked house because they think it's their friends. A locked door keeps that from happening.

Property crimes are usually ones of opportunity. If you make it harder you're far less likely to be a victim. And frankly why not lock doors, it's not that hard to do is it?

No, I don't do the warm up thing - it's not that cold here.

My wife agrees with everything you've said, btw. But I grew up in SLC where the women all were beautiful and the men stood straight and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    :raises hand sheepishly:
    Don't.

So many stolen cars come from this. Last week salt lake had 4 in one morning.

People literally drive neighborhoods looking for unattended running cars to steal

A couple of weeks ago a woman in our neighborhood (15th and 15th) went back into her house to get something after she had started her car to go to work in the morning. Guess what?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    A couple of weeks ago a woman in our neighborhood (15th and 15th) went back into her house to get something after she had started her car to go to work in the morning. Guess what?
    I don't know why people don't just get a remote car starter kit installed for a couple of hundred bucks. They can start their car without leaving their house or office, and if someone tries to break in and steal it while it is running, the car automatically quits when the transmission is taken out of Park.

Or peoe could just deal with the cold by putting on a coat and gloves, and not waste gas.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I don't know why people don't just get a remote car starter kit installed for a couple of hundred bucks. They can start their car without leaving their house or office, and if someone tries to break in and steal it while it is running, the car automatically quits when the transmission is taken out of Park.

Or peoe could just deal with the cold by putting on a coat and gloves, and not waste gas.
    I can't tell you how many people think it's bad to drive a car that isn't warmed up. Apparently it's still 1955 in many houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Now, my East Coast wife locks the doors when we are inside the house. I don't know what she's worried about.
    When I was first married, this was a source of major conflict in our young marriage. I would get home from work and forget to lock the door behind me only to be discovered later by my frustrated bride. Did I mention we live in a gated community?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    When I was first married, this was a source of major conflict in our young marriage. I would get home from work and forget to lock the door behind me only to be discovered later by my frustrated bride. Did I mention we live in a gated community?
    Gated communities provide a false sense of security. Although they're very effective at keeping the police out

Gated communities provide a false sense of security. Although they're very effective at keeping the police out
    Sort of like home alarm systems, right? Oh, I hold no fantasy about them being full proof. But like you said, the majority of these things are least resistance motivated and getting through a gate is at least some level of resistance.

Sort of like home alarm systems, right? Oh, I hold no fantasy about them being full proof. But like you said, the majority of these things are least resistance motivated and getting through a gate is at least some level of resistance.
    Depends on the alarm. I have one because it notifies me via text if it goes off and includes cameras.

Cameras are the best way to fight crime these days, because it let's us catch people and stop them

The biggest problem with Gated communities and secure buildings are the people. Propped open doors, people piggyback in when the gate is open etc.

From a police standpoint they're awful cause we're stuck outside when someone calls for help

Depends on the alarm. I have one because it notifies me via text if it goes off and includes cameras.

Cameras are the best way to fight crime these days, because it let's us catch people and stop them

The biggest problem with Gated communities and secure buildings are the people. Propped open doors, people piggyback in when the gate is open etc.

From a police standpoint they're awful cause we're stuck outside when someone calls for help
    I've always wondered about this. Isn't there some sort of universal code for first responders to get into gated communities? The FedEx guy never seems to have a problem.

We installed cameras a little over a year ago after the home invasion across the street. We're very happy with them. They helped the police catch the people who were robbing mailboxes in our neighborhood.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I've always wondered about this. Isn't there some sort of universal code for first responders to get into gated communities? The FedEx guy never seems to have a problem.
    Nope. We have some to some areas but not all.

The fire department usually has access to everything. People trust them (and fed ex) more. The ironic part is most calls which aren't an actual fire the fire guys want the police to ensure its safe first....and we can't get in

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We installed cameras a little over a year ago after the home invasion across the street. We're very happy with them. They helped the police catch the people who were robbing mailboxes in our neighborhood.
    I love my cameras. Worth every penny

I love my cameras. Worth every penny
    If the OJ thing had happened in 2014 would there have been security cameras all over the neighborhoods showing a white Bronco driving back and forth at the relevant times?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    If the OJ thing had happened in 2014 would there have been security cameras all over the neighborhoods showing a white Bronco driving back and forth at the relevant times?
    Only if the real killer also owned a white Ford Bronco. I would think the odds of that are pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Probably not. Most cameras only catch the property itself, having them catch the street triggers them so often they quickly run out of space.

Cameras also aren't great for vehicles. Most cameras can't get license plates. They're awesome for people though.

Probably not. Most cameras only catch the property itself, having them catch the street triggers them so often they quickly run out of space.
    Our cameras run continuously and record up to 2 weeks. So we do get some street stuff, although most of them only catch the street in the background.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Our cameras run continuously and record up to 2 weeks. So we do get some street stuff, although most of them only catch the street in the background.
    I can set mine that way. But having them on motion sensor mode makes it easy to check the videos for problems

I can set mine that way. But having them on motion sensor mode makes it easy to check the videos for problems
    It does take a little time to zero on on a particular date and time, about 5 minutes. I guess it depends on the equipment.

--Yeats

Our ward choir is performing a great arrangement of "Carol of the Bells" and after practicing it last night I cannot get it out of my head.

--Yeats

Our ward choir is performing a great arrangement of "Carol of the Bells" and after practicing it last night I cannot get it out of my head.
    Could be a lot worse (c:
    The other day I woke up with "Pinecones and Holly Berries" in my mind...

My daughter wants some headphones for christmas.
    From hip friends, I hear that beats by dre are all in.
    But, boy are they expensive.....
    What's a good alternative that isn't so pricey? And most important, are hip to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My daughter wants some headphones for christmas.
    From hip friends, I hear that beats by dre are all in.
    But, boy are they expensive.....
    What's a good alternative that isn't so pricey? And most important, are hip to use?
    I'm a shade below 40, so "hip" is now only a term I use when describing replacement body parts. But when it comes to bang for bucks, I always go with Monoprice. I've been using their headphones for years. I currently use these ones and love them. At work, I'm within ear shot of a very loud Italian woman, and if I'm at my desk, I have these things on. They're great for noise cancelling and produce really good sound. Here's a link to their full catalog.

Here's a review by CNET about the quality vs. cost of Monoprice's stuff. It's a few years old, but the concepts still hold true.

Speaking of headphones, I'd like to get some good Bluetooth earbuds. I am tired of the wire! At least once a week I get it tangled up while out running/walking. Any recommendations?

--Yeats

Speaking of headphones, I'd like to get some good Bluetooth earbuds. I am tired of the wire! At least once a week I get it tangled up while out running/walking. Any recommendations?
    My wife has a pair of these LG Tone 700's that she loves for the gym. Not sure that I'd want to run with them though.

I find this amusing.

An Australian newspaper announces Benedict Cumberbatch's wedding.

benedict_wedding.jpg

My kids absolutely love watching the US government track the international movements of Santa. www.noradsanta.org Pretty fun stuff for the little ones.