Thread: Random chat thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Yes, LDS kids participate in lieu of the school prom. My kids have never participated so I don't have any direct experience with it, only through invitations and word of mouth stories.

What got me thinking about it, is our move date to Utah draws nearer and nearer, and as such people are eager to teach me about all the changes since we left 25 years ago. Outside of the normal mormon/anti-mormon stuff I expected, there's other things.....for example, apparently the campus hosts some great food trucks for lunch, the hiking/cycling/running trails have expanded tremendously, and here's an interesting one......I guess the moms like to dress like their teenage daughters -- hey, it's just what I was told.
    Do LDS kids not go to their school prom? Why not? Where are you?

We currently live in the south, but, have also seen it in TX, PA and NE. A lot of LDS kids skip the actual prom. I'm not sure why they don't go to the prom. I understand why they don't go to the after prom parties......typically lots of drinking. In our area, kids will rent a lake house for 2 or 3 days and make a weekend out of it.

Prom is different region by region, and was just curious how the Utah prom operated.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    We currently live in the south, but, have also seen it in TX, PA and NE. A lot of LDS kids skip the actual prom. I'm not sure why they don't go to the prom. I understand why they don't go to the after prom parties......typically lots of drinking. In our area, kids will rent a lake house for 2 or 3 days and make a weekend out of it.

Prom is different region by region, and was just curious how the Utah prom operated.
    In SLC, all kids go to the school proms and at least the more wholesome after parties. In my son's jr. prom two weeks ago, they all went bowling at an all-night bowling alley. I am sure there are parties where drugs and alchohol are consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    In SLC, all kids go to the school proms and at least the more wholesome after parties. In my son's jr. prom two weeks ago, they all went bowling at an all-night bowling alley. I am sure there are parties where drugs and alchohol are consumed.

This is how it operates for my kids as well. Laser tag, gymnastic jumping stuff or something else after the prom. They go in big groups.

Crazy random story.

TL;DR: 35 years ago a pediatrician worked around the clock to save a 3.2 pound prematurely born baby. Fast forward to 2015, the child grows up to be a firefighter/paramedic and saves the doctor from a burning car wreck.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doctor-sa...315203962.html

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Add Wisconsin to the list. It was a big deal there. The kids there told me they didn't go to regular prom because (1) they didn't feel comfortable with the kind of dancing going on and (2) they felt like regular prom came with an implicit agreement to have sex with your date.

I haven't heard about it in CO.

I don't like mormon prom. If you are going to take a stand against regular prom, just skip it altogether.
    My sons never went. My daughter went twice, then seemed to kind of outgrow it. Around here, if your church buddies are going to the LDS prom, then you go. But as high schoolers get farther along and become juniors and seniors they seem to break away with their own school friends and do things with them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell