Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Improvement Thread

Home Improvement Thread

Hi everybody. Just wanted to give an update on why I've been missing in action lately. We bought a new house with a pool and a larger yard. Because the previous owner owned cats, we have spent the last month ripping out flooring, installing new flooring, painting, and doing some yard work.

It literally took the whole month to get rid of the cat smell. The urine smell in some of the carpets was so bad that even the tackboards were moist and smelly when we pulled them up.

We have put Pergo floors in all the bedrooms, painted them, and spent this weekend moving in. The rest of the house already had Pergo floors, so we left those alone. That will need to be replaced at some point in time.

All I have left is to paint the floorboards. They are in and sanded and caulked. I just needed to move in this weekend so I couldn't finish.

At any rate here's a new thread to discuss home improvements.

We have a large empty closet that we are thinking of what we want to do with it. It is a reach in closet, about 101 inches wide. I took the mirrored bypass doors out, so it's completely open now. I've been looking at some shelving units online but might want to do something more creative like building a tv hutch in part of it then having the rest be a closet with some shelving.

Here are some pics.

Before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369627925.854891.jpg

After
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369627956.385668.jpg

Before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369627979.985611.jpg

AfterImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369627997.798544.jpg

The furniture is the previous owners. I forgot to take actual before or progress pics.

Here is the master before
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369628186.834561.jpg

And after/during
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369628207.400607.jpg

I need to get up some pics of the painting. Walls look much better.

In the kitchen and great room area I want to eventually do the textured plaster paint and some crown molding.

Here is the pool. I spent a good part of the last week figuring out the pump system etc. I've never owned a pool before so we will see how this goes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369628318.974597.jpg

Looking good, OU. I remember those times fondly (although I don't want to return to them!).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

My front door has a nice metal screen door. I like having it to open for extra ventilation when it cools in the evening.

At the bottom of the door is a huge gap. Does anyone know how to effectively close that off? The rest of the door has a small gap around it as well. We have tons of lizards and frogs and snakes and the usual bugs. Is weatherstripping the answer?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371297667.617434.jpg

Found it. They have a door sweep that installs at the bottom if the door.

Ok this is SO not cool. Ub5 gets to see the new house before I do?!?! And to think that I was going to get you some special weather stripping for your front door. Well not any more! You're on your own buddy!

As someone who despises carpet, kudos on the new flooring.

It looks great, Orange! The pool/backyard looks to have huge potential. The Traeger will fit right in with that back yard!

Pools are awesome. Once you figure everything out it's like owning a lawnmower, except simpler.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Pools are awesome. Once you figure everything out it's like owning a lawnmower, except simpler.
    I'll second that. For the first few years, we had a couple of different pool guys taking care of it. Things kept mysteriously "breaking". I fired them and began the maintenance myself. Once dialed in, no problems at all. The once a week cleaning is great "alone time" therapy.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I'll second that. For the first few years, we had a couple of different pool guys taking care of it. Things kept mysteriously "breaking". I fired them and began the maintenance myself. Once dialed in, no problems at all. The once a week cleaning is great "alone time" therapy.
    Sunscreen and a hat are highly recommended.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sunscreen and a hat are highly recommended.
    Done and done. Especially at summer solstice time!
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Ok this is SO not cool. Ub5 gets to see the new house before I do?!?! And to think that I was going to get you some special weather stripping for your front door. Well not any more! You're on your own buddy!
    I'm planning something special for you at the new place.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    It looks great, Orange! The pool/backyard looks to have huge potential. The Traeger will fit right in with that back yard!
    Absolutely! The smells that thing puts out are almost worth the purchase price alone.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Done and done. Especially at summer solstice time!
    Also, one of those gadgets (I've forgotten the name -- they're automatic swimming pool cleaners) that crawl along the pool floor and clean it. They cost a little money, but the one we got changed our lives. Very much worth it! I don't recall which kind ours is, but it's like this one:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CHwQ8wIwAw

This is a middle-of-the-road model. There are very pricey ones and less expensive ones as well.

--Yeats

We had this one, or one similar to it....can't remember. Anyway, I can recommend this type.

http://premierpoolproducts.com/dolph...l-cleaner.html
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Put in a John Louis closet system for my 2 youngest sons. $260 on amazon. Took about 6 hours to do but now that I have experience it will only take about 4 to do again. Nice wood and goes right into the studs so it is off the floor.

Before and after pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That looks great. I like the dark red color too.

You'll be glad you did that! Looks great.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Put in a John Louis closet system for my 2 youngest sons. $260 on amazon. Took about 6 hours to do but now that I have experience it will only take about 4 to do again. Nice wood and goes right into the studs so it is off the floor.

Before and after pics.

I've been looking at systems for my masters WIC. How do you like the quality? I am looking for something that looks high quality and feels nice but doesn't break the bank. I like the way yours looks. Would you do it again?

I've been looking at systems for my masters WIC. How do you like the quality? I am looking for something that looks high quality and feels nice but doesn't break the bank. I like the way yours looks. Would you do it again?
    Absolutely. This is the 12" shelf size unit. It comes in the mahogany you see here and a honey oak. There is a deluxe that has 16" shelves (width).

I'm putting this same closet in the same color in my oldest sons room. I am putting it also in the other room but in the honey oak. In the master I am going to put the deluxe in honey oak.

They go in easily and are very sturdy. U just secure then right to the wall in studs and they work absolutely terrific. Quality of the wood is great and looks good. I got some splintering when I chop sawed some of the pieces but it was honestly minimal. Great product.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Absolutely. This is the 12" shelf size unit. It comes in the mahogany you see here and a honey oak. There is a deluxe that has 16" shelves (width).

I'm putting this same closet in the same color in my oldest sons room. I am putting it also in the other room but in the honey oak. In the master I am going to put the deluxe in honey oak.

They go in easily and are very sturdy. U just secure then right to the wall in studs and they work absolutely terrific. Quality of the wood is great and looks good. I got some splintering when I chop sawed some of the pieces but it was honestly minimal. Great product.

Trying putting blue painters tape where you plan on cutting. That should help eliminate some of the splintering. What type of blade are you using? How many teeth? If you are using a rip blade instead of a finish blade you could experience splintering as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to order the deluxe in mahogany for the WIC in the near future.

Trying putting blue painters tape where you plan on cutting. That should help eliminate some of the splintering. What type of blade are you using? How many teeth? If you are using a rip blade instead of a finish blade you could experience splintering as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to order the deluxe in mahogany for the WIC in the near future.
    I'm going to try this next time. I borrowed the saw from a buddy. It was 10". Not sure about the number if teeth. I used it for my flooring when I did that a few months ago and it worked great. The tape idea sounds like a good one.

I'm really happy with the closet. Tons of shelf space and very sturdy. A physician friend and his family used these recently in their own home remodel. They really do look good.

We have been living through a kitchen renovation for the past month. Our house was built in 1962, and we have lived in it for 12 years. It was time, and we are able to do it fairly cheap due to my step son being a contractor and helping with the project.

We are coming from old wood cabintes, linoleum floring, laminate countertops, and old appliances. We are going to knotty cherry cabinets in a dark stain, on a laminate wood flooring in a light hickory. Granite countertops, upgrated appliances, lighting, sink. Most exciting, is a more open floor plan. It is just a 12-14 space, so no island, but by expanding the cabintes up and taking out a half-wall, it really opens things up and creates more storage.

It is at the stage where it is starting to come together, and is getting pretty exciting.

Here is the kitchen space, stripped bare:
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-27-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Kitchen renovations are tough to endure but worth it. Make sure you post pictures of the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Kitchen renovations are tough to endure but worth it. Make sure you post pictures of the finished product.
    My kitchen renovation last year might have been the longest 2-8 weeks of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Absolutely. And before and after pics. You're kitchen is a similar size to mine and your ideas sound great. Good luck!

Our kitchen is tantalizingly close to being done. We just have to get the stone backsplash, under-cabinet lights, window coverings, and a pocket door installed.

we are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow since we will be out of town on the actual holiday. It will be a nice way to break it in.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Our kitchen is tantalizingly close to being done. We just have to get the stone backsplash, under-cabinet lights, window coverings, and a pocket door installed.

we are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow since we will be out of town on the actual holiday. It will be a nice way to break it in.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Looks great and I know it was a lot of work. That makes it all the more rewarding, I'm sure.

--Yeats

Looks like a great Turkey cooking kitchen. Beautiful!