Thread: Random chat thread

Hybrid View

David Foster just went through. He's so much taller than everyone else it's comical.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    David Foster just went through. He's so much taller than everyone else it's comical.
    At the Crimson Club Banquet it was amazing how much taller than Doleac he is, that 7'3" is legit

I'll just leave this right here.

After getting a shock to the brain, subjects in a recent study rated the people around them as more attractive.

Researchers from the California Institute of Technology recently studied that effect by giving 99 study participants 15 minutes of transcranial direct current stimulation, or TDCS, an electrode-based, non-invasive way of juicing the brain. (A company is also marketing TDCS as a very sketchy means of getting better at video games.) The participants got an fMRI scan before and after the brain shock, and were shown faces while in the fMRI machine. After the zapping, the participants rated the faces as more attractive....

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Foster

1129395.jpg
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Forbes put out its ranking of all American colleges. The PAC-12 did well, and Utah is right in the middle of the conference:

1. Stanford
    22. Cal
    34. UCLA
    63. USC
    55. Washington
    101. Colorado
    143. Utah
    211. Arizona
    217. Oregon
    211. Arizona State
    304. Oregon State
    328. Washington State

--Yeats

Forbes put out its ranking of all American colleges. The PAC-12 did well, and Utah is right in the middle of the conference:

1. Stanford
    22. Cal
    34. UCLA
    63. USC
    55. Washington
    101. Colorado
    143. Utah
    211. Arizona
    217. Oregon
    211. Arizona State
    304. Oregon State
    328. Washington State
    Should I be surprised that oregon is ranked d so low?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Should I be surprised that oregon is ranked d so low?
    I was kind of surprised.

--Yeats

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Another system that is heavily biased towards private schools, even though there are no clear advantages of private over public.
    Well, FWIW. I was surprised that the PAC schools ranked below us were so...low.

--Yeats

This is hard to read, but pretty enlightening.

http://www.readability.com/read?url=...pt.single.html

--Yeats

Does anyone have experience with the pen and tablet things you can connect to a computer?
    My wife is really getting into computery things where such a device could help. So, I thought it might make a nice christmas present.
    Tons of them on Amazon, but I'm not familiar with the options, and what is most desirable. She enjoys computer art, drawing, photo editing, etc.
    Something on the consumer side, I don't need a fancy professional setup.

If I ever played pro baseball and hit a home run, I'd sprint as fast I could around the bases.
    I'm sure somebody has done this, but since I don't follow baseball, I don't know.
    But I'd do it anyway.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the pen and tablet things you can connect to a computer?
    My wife is really getting into computery things where such a device could help. So, I thought it might make a nice christmas present.
    Tons of them on Amazon, but I'm not familiar with the options, and what is most desirable. She enjoys computer art, drawing, photo editing, etc.
    Something on the consumer side, I don't need a fancy professional setup.
    I wish someone would respond to this. I am interested in these devices too. Come on you guys, step up!

--Yeats

I wish someone would respond to this. I am interested in these devices too. Come on you guys, step up!
    Yes, please.
    My wife will kill me if I get her a dumb gift.