Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Hybrid View

Random chat thread

Post any random ideas, thoughts or rants here. Think of it as twitter, without the 140 character limit.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I will start. Why do baseball managers insist on bunting a runner over into scoring position, but opening first base for the opposing pitcher to internationally walk their best hitter? Basically wasting two at bats in the middle of you're lineup.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I will start. Why do baseball managers insist on bunting a runner over into scoring position, but opening first base for the opposing pitcher to internationally walk their best hitter? Basically wasting two at bats in the middle of you're lineup.
    For the same reasons that football coaches generally go for it on 4th down far less than they should.

1. Tradition
    2. Idiots in the media (Skip Bayless types) will yell at them if they do anything unconventional and it doesn't work. No one yells if they go by conventional wisdom.

I love the "Bad Luck Bronco" sign that the infamous overalls guy is holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    It's about manufacturing runs. A botched play on the bunt puts runners at 1st and 2nd with one of the better hitters up next; a throwing error puts 2 runners in scoring position at 2nd and 3rd; an intentional walk creates a double play chance for the defense, but now there are 2 runs on an extra base hit (unless the guy on 1st runs like Hrbek).
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    It's about manufacturing runs. A botched play on the bunt puts runners at 1st and 2nd with one of the better hitters up next; a throwing error puts 2 runners in scoring position at 2nd and 3rd; an intentional walk creates a double play chance for the defense, but now there are 2 runs on an extra base hit (unless the guy on 1st runs like Hrbek).
    Kent Hrbek?? wow that is dated reference. How about using Prince Fielder. That would be a better example.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Has anyone ever stayed in a hotel that lost electric power in all the guest rooms? I did last night. A surreal, frustrating experience, especially when you have work to do and need the wi-fi. It's 6:30 a.m. now and still no power. The hotel gave all the guests light sticks so we could see around our rooms a little bit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Has anyone ever stayed in a hotel that lost electric power in all the guest rooms? I did last night. A surreal, frustrating experience, especially when you have work to do and need the wi-fi. It's 6:30 a.m. now and still no power. The hotel gave all the guests light sticks so we could see around our rooms a little bit.

August 2003. Hotel Edison, New York City, 23rd floor. The great northeast blackout. Four days of no power and no water.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post
    August 2003. Hotel Edison, New York City, 23rd floor. The great northeast blackout. Four days of no power and no water.
    OK. It could be worse. That's actually helpful. (Curses under breath.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Get married, you dummies!

Picture coming home every night to your best friend, your greatest fan, and your number one supporter. She (or he) makes each good day better, and each bad day good again. Every day, you get to live what is essentially a 24/7 sleepover party with the greatest friend you’ve ever had.… Now add sex and sandwiches.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...#ixzz2ST3a706K

--Yeats

A lot of people complained about this shirt when it came out after we beat BYU last year. They said it was silly to make a shirt when it wasn't much of an accomplishment.

However, I think it really just needs context:

(not sure if this is actually intentional)

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    It is a little-known fact that the 116 pages of the manuscript that were lost by Martin Harris described the boats used by Nephi and his family as having a staircase extending up from the back.

Getting to the really important questions:

FYI: Why Is It Funny When A Guy Gets Hit In The Groin?

--Yeats

Even the fitness center is shut down. Argh.

--Yeats

Actually we were the lucky ones compared to others. As soon as the power went out the Edison shut off its water. The Marriott Marquis across the street figured that it was a temporary outage and left their water on for somewhere around 2-3 hours. While we were eating in the restaurant at about 6:30 when we noticed guests and staff at the Marriott hauling mattresses, bags & belongings into the parking area. Apparently the Marriott had drawn its water tank below the level FDNY requires for fire protection and ordered the building evacuated.

It was maybe the most surreal time I've ever spent. Walking around Times Square with only generator powered floodlights looking up at a totally dark Empire State Building. Weird.

--Yeats

Check it out; saturated ground caused groundwater to make this decades-old swimming pool erupt from the ground in Leslie, Georgia.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/213486...-out-of-ground

Banned
    French Unions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...rking-day.html

Maurice Taylor, chief executive of Titan, berated the French work ethic in response to a request for the US company to consider investing in a loss-making Goodyear plant in Amiens, northern France, in an attack which has infuriated unions.

"I have visited that factory a couple of times. The French workforce gets paid high wages but only works three hours," Mr Taylor wrote in a letter to Arnaud Montebourg, French Industrial Renewal Minister, dated February 8 and obtained by French business daily Les Echos.

"They get one hour for breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three. I told this to the French union workers to their faces. They told me that's the French way!"

Goodyear said last month it planned on closing the plant, which employs 1,173 workers, following five years of failed talks with unions.

Mr Taylor said Titan had a long history of buying and turning around troubled factories but in this instance was not in any way interested.

This morning I got a linkedIn email from Geni Whitehouse, "Countess of Communication" at BDCo.

WTF? Who the fetch takes someone seriously when they've obviously chosen their own title and it is Countess of Communication. Those wacky marketing people have nothing better to do than dream up new titles? Creativity is good but rein it in, you marketing types.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    This morning I got a linkedIn email from Geni Whitehouse, "Countess of Communication" at BDCo.

WTF? Who the fetch takes someone seriously when they've obviously chosen their own title and it is Countess of Communication. Those wacky marketing people have nothing better to do than dream up new titles? Creativity is good but rein it in, you marketing types.
    So her efforts have left her peerless after all.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

I'm sure glad we don't see this phenomenon on sports message boards.

Friendships cut short on social media as people get ruder: survey

--Yeats

Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop comes to aid of woman being attacked

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/23...eing-attacked/

--Yeats

I heard one commentator say "If you're in his ward, you better get your home teaching done."

Davis County has had a Mosquito Abatement program for as long as I can remember. Hopefully they a killing millions of the little disease spreading bugs.

I was on hold with the county, and heard a recording about an abatement program for disabled veterans. That gave me pause for a few seconds. Turns out it is a tax abatement for disabled vets, they aren't actually spraying to reduce their numbers. They gotta work on their phrasing.

I just set up an online payment and invoice system for a small business that I run with utahby5 (the poster not the site) through paypal in less than 3 minutes. The LDS church thinks that having donations come on line is part of the Devil's plan.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

This was covered two weeks ago by Deseret News. Looks like the story has grown some legs.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-attacker.html
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Why is his being a bishop in the LDS church important to that story?

The versions out this morning never mentioned anything about it, so obviously someone has called the media to ensure they know. Kind of curious as to why (its a local cultural thing that I don't understand as I really don't care what religion someone is)
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 04-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Why is his being a bishop in the LDS church important to that story?

The versions out this morning never mentioned anything about it, so obviously someone has called the media to ensure they know. Kind of curious as to why (its a local cultural thing that I don't understand as I really don't care what religion someone is)
    I can't imagine a headline saying "Presbyterian Elder Scares off Burglar with Samurai Sword." Was it the local Fox bureau that reported this?

--Yeats

I can't imagine a headline saying "Presbyterian Elder Scares off Burglar with Samurai Sword." Was it the local Fox bureau that reported this?
    That's my thought. But I also couldn't tell you who was a Presbyterian athlete or politician either. Never mattered.

As for the headline, don't know KSL and the Tribune don't have it in the headline (The tribune has added it to the body of the story, it was not there this morning)

Seems the local Fox affiliate is the one with the headline, and has made him the focus of the story. Ratings I guess?