Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Hybrid View

What is Sad! is that he disagrees with himself on a regular basis.

That is funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 Herbs and 5 Spices?

Leaking their secret formula?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    6 Herbs and 5 Spices?

Leaking their secret formula?
    11 Herbs and Spices, not sure there are any deeper secrets than that. But attaboy to their social media team.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Funny.

However my wife convinced me to go to KFC a couple months ago.

It was not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Funny.

However my wife convinced me to go to KFC a couple months ago.

It was not very good.

KFC used to be amazing. Then they changed the recipe (early 90s?) and killed the flavor.

My first job as a married man in college was doing graphic design for KFC (and also A&W, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut). But mostly KFC. As most of us know the first KFC was in SLC and their first ad agency was from SLC too. We did mostly POP, menus and billboards, but nothing was quite as joyous as staring at pictures of fried chicken each day.

The owner of the ad agency of course knew the colonel and the stories of his visits to SLC are legendary.

In fact, since they’ve taken to making fun of the colonel in their ads these days what I would prefer is to have true story ads, like the ones Charlie Murphy would tell on the Chappelle show.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e748yj...e---uncensored

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    My first job as a married man in college was doing graphic design for KFC (and also A&W, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut). But mostly KFC. As most of us know the first KFC was in SLC and their first ad agency was from SLC too. We did mostly POP, menus and billboards, but nothing was quite as joyous as staring at pictures of fried chicken each day.

The owner of the ad agency of course knew the colonel and the stories of his visits to SLC are legendary.

In fact, since they’ve taken to making fun of the colonel in their ads these days what I would prefer is to have true story ads, like the ones Charlie Murphy would tell on the Chappelle show.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e748yj...e---uncensored

Good ol' Allen Frank.

They claim that Coke Zero tastes like real Coke. It doesn’t. However caffeine free Coke Zero remarkably does. Pro-tip for the day.

That made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alex Trebek gets savage on these contestants.

Random chat thread

My heart breaks for this dad and his daughters. Obviously we can’t allow people to do things like this, but something about the look on his face and on the faces of his daughters standing by him in the courtroom, just pricked at my heart.

Father Of 3 Abused Gymnasts Asks For ‘1 Minute Alone’ With Nassar, Lunges At Him In The Courtroom

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26680...aign=mattwalsh

Judge Refuses To Charge Father Who Lunged At Nassar With Contempt Of Court

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26704...r-hank-berrien

He may still be looking at assault charges.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-03-2018 at 08:51 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My heart breaks for this dad and his daughters. Obviously we can’t allow people to do things like this, but something about the look on his face and on the faces of his daughters standing by him in the courtroom, just pricked at my heart.

Father Of 3 Abused Gymnasts Asks For ‘1 Minute Alone’ With Nassar, Lunges At Him In The Courtroom

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26680...aign=mattwalsh

Judge Refuses To Charge Father Who Lunged At Nassar With Contempt Of Court

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26704...r-hank-berrien

He may still be looking at assault charges.
    Obviously things may be different there

But here a judge couldn’t file assault charges. The city prosecutor would have to do that, and only if the victim wished to pursue charges. The judge would only have the usual court conduct charges.

Obviously things may be different there

But here a judge couldn’t file assault charges. The city prosecutor would have to do that, and only if the victim wished to pursue charges. The judge would only have the usual court conduct charges.

If I read the piece correctly, the judge simply said she would not bring contempt of court charges against him. The prosecutor will have to decide about assault charges, as you state. My totally uneducated guess is that the prosecutor will charge him and make a plea deal with him. He won’t serve any time, nor will he be prosecuted. Maybe he will have to do some community service.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If I read the piece correctly, the judge simply said she would not bring contempt of court charges against him. The prosecutor will have to decide about assault charges, as you state. My totally uneducated guess is that the prosecutor will charge him and make a plea deal with him. He won’t serve any time, nor will he be prosecuted. Maybe he will have to do some community service.
    Unless they make “assault” something different there it’s at most a class B misdemeanor.

I’d guess if Nassar does wish to be a “victim” they offer a disorderly conduct type charge and offer a plea in abeyance.

My mother-in-law and her husband have been staying with us the last couple of days. The husband is a Russian bots wet dream. He spends large chunks of his day on Facebook sharing whatever ridiculous conspiracy theory that pops up on his feed. Never contributed any personal commentary and never responds to any comments when I’ve been bored enough to push back. In person, he just says that he doesn’t like to discuss politics. LOL. Just yesterday morning, he had posts about “pinko commie’s,” unsealing Obama’s birth certificate, Lebron James, abortion, arresting Hillary, and Joseph Stalin and the assault weapon debate. He is crazy. Well, he made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended yesterday. After joking about it with my wife for years, I grabbed it and changed his Facebook settings to “only me” so that now, no one else sees the ridiculous crap he posts all day, every day. I also unliked several of the extreme right wing pages he was following and liked several more “neutral” news organizations so that he’s exposed to some better ideas. I’m not super proud of it, but it needed to be done. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    My mother-in-law and her husband have been staying with us the last couple of days. The husband is a Russian bots wet dream. He spends large chunks of his day on Facebook sharing whatever ridiculous conspiracy theory that pops up on his feed. Never contributed any personal commentary and never responds to any comments when I’ve been bored enough to push back. In person, he just says that he doesn’t like to discuss politics. LOL. Just yesterday morning, he had posts about “pinko commie’s,” unsealing Obama’s birth certificate, Lebron James, abortion, arresting Hillary, and Joseph Stalin and the assault weapon debate. He is crazy. Well, he made the mistake of leaving his phone unattended yesterday. After joking about it with my wife for years, I grabbed it and changed his Facebook settings to “only me” so that now, no one else sees the ridiculous crap he posts all day, every day. I also unliked several of the extreme right wing pages he was following and liked several more “neutral” news organizations so that he’s exposed to some better ideas. I’m not super proud of it, but it needed to be done. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

We need some college student with too much free time to spin up a bunch of right wing FB bots that share these things with each other and anyone who likes them gets their posts hidden from anyone except the bots. Sort of like a alt-right honey pot.

Wow, that is a low rider!

Why are Utah's roads so bad when compared to our neighbors. I just spent the week traveling from Park City to Mesa Verde. As soon as we crossed the border into Colorado, the road was smooth with no swells or hollows. It continued to be great as far as Durango, where we stopped. We had the same experience last year when we went on I-70 to Telluride. Cross the border and the roadway is better. Traveling north the freeway is better as soon as you cross into Idaho. Freaking Idaho. Both I-80 and I-15 are better in Nevada than in Utah. Do we just have shitty contractors?

We just need a lottery, gambling, or marijuana to increase our tax base.

I travel frequently on one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation. 2700 S from about 2300 East to 700 East is like driving on a poor dirt road.

SLC has completely mismanaged road maintenance. Meanwhile they are repairing roads on quiet streets all around it.

one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation
    And yet that stretch would be considered one of the better roads in New Orleans. There's always something worse!

I'm think roads are probably like climate control in large buildings - it must be much harder than we know.

I travel frequently on one of the worst roads, perhaps in the nation. 2700 S from about 2300 East to 700 East is like driving on a poor dirt road.

SLC has completely mismanaged road maintenance. Meanwhile they are repairing roads on quiet streets all around it.

You can thank the former mayors for that.

They diverted and borrowed money for their pet projects at the expense of other things.

You can thank the former mayors for that.

They diverted and borrowed money for their pet projects at the expense of other things.

Yup, SLC has been and continues to be severely mismanaged. But we do have special bike lanes now (coming from a biker - who thinks it is ridiculous, not only for the expense, but also because they never planned to string the lanes together in a useful way, so you find yourself riding along in a lane that suddenly disappears and you find yourself in the middle of some 6 lane road), and Harvey Milk Blvd.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 05-28-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Yup, SLC has been and continues to be severely mismanaged. But we do have special bike lanes now (coming from a biker - who thinks it is ridiculous, not only for the expense, but also because they never planned to string the lanes together in a useful way, so you find yourself riding along in a lane that suddenly disappears and you find yourself in the middle of some 6 lane road), and Harvey Milk Blvd.
    If you dig into the budgets, as revenues grew the expenses that grew were quite interesting.

Streets had modest growth

Police and Fire have seen modest growth. (Police until this year had not seen an increase in allowed officers since basically the 80’s)

Parks and public services have grown more than police and fire.

Non departmental spending has soared. Much of that has been services for homeless and low income folks. We’re talking $30M+

Then there’s the bike lanes. $500,000 to study and indoor farmers market. $1,000,000 a year to UTA for the ‘S Line’.

It’s quite interesting to dig through.

If you dig into the budgets, as revenues grew the expenses that grew were quite interesting.

Streets had modest growth

Police and Fire have seen modest growth. (Police until this year had not seen an increase in allowed officers since basically the 80’s)

Parks and public services have grown more than police and fire.

Non departmental spending has soared. Much of that has been services for homeless and low income folks. We’re talking $30M+

Then there’s the bike lanes. $500,000 to study and indoor farmers market. $1,000,000 a year to UTA for the ‘S Line’.

It’s quite interesting to dig through.

You can probably provide your insight to this, but I've heard from various police officers that they blame much of the problem that was happening in Pioneer Park and Rio Grand with the homeless on Rocky Anderson. I can't remember enough of the details to not mess it up, but do you agree with that?

From Calvin Coolidge’s Independence Day speech, July 5, 1926, celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence:

“About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.”

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/l...-independence/

--Yeats

Random chat thread

AWESOME! I just ordered a pair.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 08-16-2018 at 08:34 PM.