Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Hybrid View

I bought this tee shirt. I am a horrible person.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I bought this tee shirt. I am a horrible person.
    Lol, that is too funny.

Me right now.

toohard.jpg

Random chat thread

My son‘s company, Health Catalyst, went public today. This is good. In my old age, maybe I can live in his basement.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-hea..._copyURL_share

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I’ve actually had a colleague who was like this. Everyone laughed at him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Great snag.

Random chat thread

The new UF.net is up in beta format. Check
    it out here:

https://beta.utefans.net/t/welcome-t...-utefans-net/7

This site is not meant to replace Utah by 5. It is planned to be the successor to Utefans.net, but without all the baggage that site acquired after years of disuse. (For example, the politics and religion sections will become donor-only and will reside in a separate part of the board. They will never dominate again.). Eventually we expect there to be a relationship between the new Utefans.net and Utah by 5. We’re still working that out.

Come and see what you think!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-26-2019 at 02:53 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The new UF.net is up in beta format. Check
    it out here:

https://beta.utefans.net/t/welcome-t...-utefans-net/7

This site is not meant to replace Utah by 5. It is planned to be the successor to Utefans.net, but without all the baggage that site acquired after years of disuse. (For example, the politics and religion sections will become donor-only and will reside in a separate part of the board. They will never dominate again.). Eventually we expect there to be a relationship between the new Utefans.net and Utah by 5. We’re still working that out.

Come and see what you think!

Based on recent (in)activity, it appears this site winding down. Just wanted to thank all those involved in keeping it up and running the last six years. It's been a pleasant distraction!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Based on recent (in)activity, it appears this site winding down. Just wanted to thank all those involved in keeping it up and running the last six years. It's been a pleasant distraction!
    this is my favorite Ute message board, there's always some great discussion here and this board has all the Utah Mensa members (sans me)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    this is my favorite Ute message board, there's always some great discussion here and this board has all the Utah Mensa members (sans me)
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)

--Yeats

This site is NOT winding down. Changes are coming! Stay tuned!

(Does anyone under the age of 30 even know what "stay tuned" means anymore?)
    This is also where I want to be...except not here. I want these people but on a site that works. I keep saying this - why not use one of the free options? Rocker is putting time and money into utefans. We shouldn't expect him to put time/money into utahby5. Why not use a free site (either slack or discord)? They work well, and their apps work well. This is how the kids are doing it, and I think someone (LAUte) is going to end up spending time/money unnecessarily.

Looks good so far!

I know I've said this before, but it's relevant again. Yesterday, the brother of the recent murder victim said that he forgave the murderer. I know Twitter is not really representative of the population as a whole, but, wow, there are so many people out there who feel that forgiveness is wrong. It's fascinating to me to see which christian virtues survive in a post-christian nation and which are rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I know I've said this before, but it's relevant again. Yesterday, the brother of the recent murder victim said that he forgave the murderer. I know Twitter is not really representative of the population as a whole, but, wow, there are so many people out there who feel that forgiveness is wrong. It's fascinating to me to see which christian virtues survive in a post-christian nation and which are rejected.
    I have a Twitter account but hardly ever go there. This is one reason why.

--Yeats

I have a Twitter account but hardly ever go there. This is one reason why.
    Maybe I should stop. I like seeing the fringe ideas. The authors only live in Twitter, so they believe their ideas are mainstream. Sometimes it's frightening, though. I wonder sometimes if the crazy that I see there is an indication of what's coming. Then I feel like an old man complaining about kids these days.

In this day and age, I seriously do not think you can be an informed citizen if you are not on twitter. If you do not follow Pres Trump on twitter you are in the dark. There is a lot of junk but there is a lot of serious debate about important issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I was both fascinated and appalled by this. I saw one protester basically say that the brother had no right to forgive her and that his actions undermined their message. I thought, "Actually, he is the one of the MAIN ones who has the right to forgive her, you as a protester have no say..."

I don't usually watch Trevor Noah but I caught something he said on this last night, and I actually think this is right. He pointed out the incongruity of people saying that there shouldn't be forgiveness. He said something along the lines of he finally identified it and thinks what is true is true for everyone. What he wants is for every judge to view a murder suspect as a person, and for mercy and kindness to be extended to every person, not just because they are a white woman.

I think he is right, and that should be the goal in all of these things (of course there are those who do not deserve for people to be light on them and do deserve the maximum sentence.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I was both fascinated and appalled by this. I saw one protester basically say that the brother had no right to forgive her and that his actions undermined their message. I thought, "Actually, he is the one of the MAIN ones who has the right to forgive her, you as a protester have no say..."

I don't usually watch Trevor Noah but I caught something he said on this last night, and I actually think this is right. He pointed out the incongruity of people saying that there shouldn't be forgiveness. He said something along the lines of he finally identified it and thinks what is true is true for everyone. What he wants is for every judge to view a murder suspect as a person, and for mercy and kindness to be extended to every person, not just because they are a white woman.

I think he is right, and that should be the goal in all of these things (of course there are those who do not deserve for people to be light on them and do deserve the maximum sentence.)
    I liked this insight from David French:

But I think both of these quotes get the moment backwards. The moment went so viral not because forgiveness was expected or white innocence was presumed. The moment went viral because the guilt was so obvious, and rage was so understandable. The moment went so viral because it was shocking. Brandt Jean demonstrated a level of grace that most Christians (white or otherwise) simply couldn’t comprehend, and they couldn’t comprehend it because the horror inflicted on his brother was so obvious and so thoroughly unjustifiable.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ydb_S9NoqEAh2Q

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    To all the mothers who have illegitimate children conceived unintentionally: please, for the love of god, use proper birth control or abstain from sexual intercourse. You're ruining the world.

To all the mothers with children conceived intentionally within marriage: happy Mother's Day.
    I think it's pretty awful for anyone to call a child illegitimate. While I agree with you about birth control, all children are children. People who care truly about legitimacy lose credibility with me.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I think it's pretty awful for anyone to call a child illegitimate. While I agree with you about birth control, all children are children. People who care truly about legitimacy lose credibility with me.
    I hadn't seen that quote, terrible. Yes, to any women who got pregnant from rape and decided to keep the child, find your own holiday to celebrate. What a tool.

This is a compelling piece:

A Roomful of Yearning and Regret

NOT long ago, the friend of a friend spent the night in a hotel room, which is sometimes what you do when you find out your spouse has been having a yearlong affair. His flight was sadly predictable — it’s all many of us are capable of after discovering such a betrayal — though I am sure he now realizes that mere movement is not a fix for that kind of agony.

I know this for two reasons: No. 1, I have had an affair; No. 2, I have been the victim of one. When you unfurl these two experiences in the sunlight for comparison, and measure their worth and pain, the former is only marginally better than the latter. And both, frankly, are awful....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2014 at 03:35 PM.

--Yeats

Yeah, well I think good mothers ought to be honored on Mother's Day, not those who engage in irresponsible, wreckless sex That's awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is irresponsible reckless sex out there so exquisite that if you had an inkling of what you are missing you would be crushed and debilitated under an intolerable weight of despair and regret.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Yeah, well I think good mothers ought to be honored on Mother's Day, not those who engage in irresponsible, reckless sex That's awful.
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive (see Les Miserables).

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    There is irresponsible reckless sex out there so exquisite that if you had an inkling of what you are missing you would be crushed and debilitated under an intolerable weight of despair and regret.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I think I saw this guy in a similar outfit on another thread on this board.

He even has official scout pants.

Have bankers surpassed lawyers as the most reviled profession?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Nope. Not in my world

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

--Yeats

There is certain math you should never do... like how much it actually costs to drive your car every day, or how much it costs per day to own a house.

I did one of those today... how many emails I get per day on average. For the month of September I averaged 152 emails a day, that includes Saturdays and Sundays. Pull weekends out and it is 207 per day. Presuming I work an 8 hour day, which I don't, that would be answering an email every 2.3 - 3.2 minutes of the work day. How does anyone expect to get anything done?

How do we kill email? I swear it has ruined civilization.