Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Random chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Going to Philly tomorrow for the first time, and this is what I get:

Attachment 1941
    Make sure you check out the Reading Terminal Market. Super fun.

It has actually been pretty dry in the philly area for the last two months. The rain is needed.

This 124 year old patent settles the "over vs under" debate once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This 124 year old patent settles the "over vs under" debate once and for all.

Unless in this image you are standing behind the roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope in the future this kid uses his super powers for good and not evil.

http://simplecapacity.com/2016/08/ch...-living-china/

I tried to type "Jesus" into my phone and it autocorrected it to "Jewish".

Conspiracy?

Conspiracy?
    No, your phone just didn't know which one of the millions of "Jesus'" in the world you wanted.

Conspiracy?
    It's Yom Kippur today. That must be it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Conspiracy?

or Act of God.

We're doomed.

We're doomed.

Well, that scenario was all set up last night. I was beginning to worry.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Well, that scenario was all set up last night. I was beginning to worry.
    I have come to the conclusion that Theo Epstein is God. He averted the apocalypse, after ordering the rain delay to enable the Cubs to regain their composure.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Theo Epstein is God. He averted the apocalypse, after ordering the rain delay to enable the Cubs to regain their composure.
    One Indians fan I know blames the rain delay for the loss. I felt a little embarrassed for him.

--Yeats

One Indians fan I know blames the rain delay for the loss. I felt a little embarrassed for him.

i heard both Bob Costas and Dan Patrick say this morning that the delay benefitted the Cubs by enabling them to regroup and muting the Indians momentum (if there is such a thing as momentum in baseball).

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    i heard both Bob Costas and Dan Patrick say this morning that the delay benefitted the Cubs by enabling them to regroup and muting the Indians momentum (if there is such a thing as momentum in baseball).
    Color me unconvinced. After the rain the Indians still managed to get within one run with two men on base in the bottom of the 10th. Man! What an exciting World Series finish!

--Yeats

So our old TV finally broke, and I am now the proud, first-time owner of one of these newfangled "high def" televisions.

I set it up, and the picture is not as great as the high def TV's I have seen at other people's homes. Any hints on how to get the settings right? I bought the cheapest 40 inch TV at Best Buy; maybe it's just a cheap TV. There are about a million different things to play around with in the settings, though, and I wonder if there are good ways of finding the right combination.

So our old TV finally broke, and I am now the proud, first-time owner of one of these newfangled "high def" televisions.

I set it up, and the picture is not as great as the high def TV's I have seen at other people's homes. Any hints on how to get the settings right? I bought the cheapest 40 inch TV at Best Buy; maybe it's just a cheap TV. There are about a million different things to play around with in the settings, though, and I wonder if there are good ways of finding the right combination.
    Is your source broadcasting in HD? Most services require added fees and/or equipment to display HD quality picture.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Is your source broadcasting in HD? Most services require added fees and/or equipment to display HD quality picture.
    Yeah. When I tried to hook the TV up, I realized it had mostly HDMI inputs. I had to exchange my old cable box for one with an HDMI output, which means I have to pay $10/month for HD.

I am waiting/hoping on high speed internet around here, so I can try Sling.

The TV will adjust to data coming in, so make sure your box is set to 1080p output.

The TV will adjust to data coming in, so make sure your box is set to 1080p output.
    Thanks. I read a few people saying I should mess with the box's settings. I have not idea how to adjust settings on the box. I'm like an old guy trying to send email for the first time.

Anyway, I discovered that there are separate HD channels. Channel 34 is low-def ESPN. Channel six hundred something is hi-def ESPN. Why do they give me both? I don't know, but that discovery made the picture look good.

Thanks. I read a few people saying I should mess with the box's settings. I have not idea how to adjust settings on the box. I'm like an old guy trying to send email for the first time.

Anyway, I discovered that there are separate HD channels. Channel 34 is low-def ESPN. Channel six hundred something is hi-def ESPN. Why do they give me both? I don't know, but that discovery made the picture look good.
    The box may have a setting to default to the HD channel. So if you select channel 34, it will automatically switch you to the HD version of the channel.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Stole this from a meeting I attended last week.
    I think it looks nice on my office desk.

IMG_2155.jpg

A Christmas gift idea for that person who really does have everything.

https://www.amazon.com/AleHorn-Handc...59T4X3PPAGJJMX

tankard.jpg

Steve Tate's little boy Hayes has passed away. I admire the way the Tates have handled this heart-breaking situation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNlki-phZW4/

--Yeats

Dang that sucks. Tates seem like really good people.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Very sad for the Tate family.

It was heartbreaking to see the Tate and Mahe family trading tweets over the weekend. Both situations are just horrible. I hope they can help each other get out of it a bit.

For those who are having trouble with their space bar, I stumbled on a workaround. Just hit "enter" after the first word you type and the problem goes away. (You do have to hit the backspace key to put the sentence back together. Small price to pay.) This is quicker than the "go advanced" option.

--Yeats

So, they're selling this in the Smith's near my house

Happy New Year to all my Ub5 peeps!

--Yeats

Happy New Year to all my Ub5 peeps!

I resolve to post more frequently with more substance