Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 1,231 to 1,238 of 1238

Thread: Marriage Equality Thread

I merged the thread about the Oaks talk with the Marriage Equality thread. I'm done with it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Here's a litmus test for you both: Do you approve of the Utah anti-discrimination law? If you do not then it will be clear that you are in the "total victory" camp and will not accept any live-and-let-live scenario. That's your privilege but you might as well be out in the open about it.
    I think that law is very good and I think it follows common sense. I don't like the way the religious exemption portion reads as it appears it will allow discrimination in housing where byu-approved housing is concerned, as well as the allowance for employment discrimination where byu is involved. But the law will keep churches themselves safe from the larger world, and protects lgbt people from most forms of discrimination.

It is a shame that this bill was tabled for two years (allegedly at Oaks' request, according to the author) while the cases played out at the Supreme and lower Courts, but u applaud Utah for passing the law.

SLC ranks extremely high as a gay-friendly city. It is a perennial Top Ten city in Advocate Magazine for lgbt people to visit or live, and apparently has the 7th largest lgbt population in the nation (ranked by quantity, not percentage). SLC just elected a lesbian mayor. The dichotomy is interesting.

This is a very interesting and worthwhile read for anyone, regardless of how one sees the issue:

Dan and Me: My Coming Out as a Friend of Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/dan-c...b_2564379.html

Don't prejudge anything until you've read the whole thing.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Methodists struggling with this subject too.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-method...61192646216552

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Methodists struggling with this subject too.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-method...61192646216552

If I had to pick sides, I'd join the side of western nations on social issues; they can still kill you for being gay in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    If I had to pick sides, I'd join the side of western nations on social issues; they can still kill you for being gay in Africa.
    True, but be careful about using the term "Africa." It is a big place. I think the United States could fit into that continent three times. As a nation and society, South Africa is far different from Libya.

(Just giving you a hard time, AJ.)

--Yeats

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I don't get this crusade. I don't get it at all. It has NOTHING to do with the Church. It's almost like the Church sees that it is losing members at an alarming rate and is trying to rally the troops by creating an emotional crusade to keep people on their side.

Why do we not believe this:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
    Why do we not allow others to do what they want? Why do we have to force our will on them?

Also, you'd think if any Church out there would be sympathetic to the feelings of others regarding marriage, it would be our Church. We were the original "people who want to do marriage differently than everyone else" people.